“Scammers - stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Rent A Bike - Bike Tours - CLOSED

Rent A Bike - Bike Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Rent-A-Bike-Central Park is the most convenient place to rent a bike in New York City. Located in the hearth of Manhattan, close to Central Park, Times Square, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, The Plaza Hotel, MoMa and many other famous landmarks. Quality equipment and our dedicated crew will make this experience enjoyable and unforgettable.
Ubud, Indonesia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Scammers - stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We had a groupon for this company but when we went to reserve they tried to add on more money for a variety of reasons. Thanks for ruining are plans for a day riding around Central Park. Stay away from these crooks!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Emily M

Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Poor Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I brought two groupons for this place; the groupon is for all day 2 bikes or 1 tantrum bike. I went there with three of my friends and the first thing they said was we needed to make a reservation. Which is understandable, so I explained to them that i tried to do so online and the online reservation were charging me money so I didn't reserve, they said okay but we still can't have the bikes. At first he thought it was just the two of my friends so he agree to giving them bikes, however once he realize me and my other friend were also trying to use a groupon he changed his face. He said that all the bikes are reserved and we cannot rent them. Disappointed we were about to just walk out, then in comes this group of four people wanted to rent bikes also with no reservation the only difference is that they are tourist and they are "paying " customer (meaning they didn't use a groupon) the guy quickly set them up with bikes without a question and just pretended we are not standing there. they told us to come back in an hour when the groupon bikes are back, and we did but it was the worst bike i have ever rode on, we couldn't shift the gears one of the bike cannot hold a basket and he did not even give me an option to pick on what kind of bike we wanted (mountain bikes or comfort bike) they just had a bad attitude. We wanted two locks and he gave us an attitude and said that we didn’t sign for one and if wanted one we should have said so before. He did end up giving us the locks but once again with an attitude. When we are back from the bike rides the staff were having an argument and this guy was cursing loudly in front of us when we were trying to get our id cards back, it took the guy at the front another 5 min. before he hangs up the phone and gives us the i.d back.(btw there were two other staff behind the counter just not doing anything so I didn’t understand why we had to wait) I will never recommend this place to anyone even if is free.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Mok1992
Halifax
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Totally misled us”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

We were very excited to tour Central Park and had done a great tour of downtown with another company.

We were looking for the same company when a sales guy approached us on a corner about a tour. We asked very specifically if we could bike on the paths in Central Park and he said he was sure we could. He led us to the shop.

When we got to the shop we again asked, very specifically if the bikes could be ridden on the paths and we were assured they could. We paid $60 cash for a 5 hour rental. We rode the block and a half to the park and saw a sign "No bikes on the paths." We pedalled a little further to the next path and the same thing.

We knew we wanted to see all the park so we decided to take the bikes back because there was a problem. When we got back to the shop we told the guy (The manager I think) that the signs say you can't ride on the paths. He said you absolutely can and showed us a map outlining the roads around the park for the carriages and bikes. We said we asked specifically about the paths and he said you can ride on the paths, but not the sidewalks.

By the time we left I had to wait outside because I was so upset. He clearly misled us and then tried to say the roads were paths and my wife finally settled on a $30 refund despite the fact that we had the bikes no more than 10 minutes and never got more than 200 feet into the park.

We left there and walked through the park for hours. I saw dozens of signs saying you can't bike on the PATHS. He said I was confusing paths with sidewalks.

I can admit when I make a mistake, but this guy clearly knew what he was doing and just plain took us for a ride and not the good kind.

There are great tours of Manhattan to be had on a bike, but you will miss the total essence of Central Park if you bike around the roadways and don't walk the paths. There are several roadways winding around that you can bike on. There are hundreds of pathways to walk on.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank HalifaxQuestor
Halifax
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Misled us completely”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We knew we wanted to see all the park so we decided to take the bikes back because there was a problem. When we got back to the shop we told the guy (The owner I think) that the signs say you can't ride on the paths. He said you absolutely can and showed us a map outlining the roads around the park for the carriages and bikes. We said we asked specifically about the paths and he said you can ride on the paths, but not the sidewalks.

Visited August 2012
Orange, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“The only way to see NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

We walked the full length of the highline and then down to pier 84 to hire bikes for the day on our explore pass .
We went all the way up to Washington bridge, then back down to battery point along the western green way across to pier 17 the up over the Brooklyn bridge. Then back across Manhattan back to the green way all the way back to pier 84. 6hr later!

Visited June 2012