“Look elsewhere!”
Review of Rent A Bike - Bike Tours - CLOSED

Rent A Bike - Bike Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Rent-A-Bike-Central Park is the most convenient place to rent a bike in New York City. Located in the hearth of Manhattan, close to Central Park, Times Square, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, The Plaza Hotel, MoMa and many other famous landmarks. Quality equipment and our dedicated crew will make this experience enjoyable and unforgettable.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Look elsewhere!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Ok where to start... We booked online in advance for the advertised 10am movie and tv show tour of Central Park on a Tuesday in early April and duly turned up at their shop on 55th St West 15 minutes early. Not only was the shop still closed, when we called the phone number on the door (and on my email), it was extremely disappointing to hear that they weren't expecting us. They kept us waiting about 20 minutes before turning up to open shop, then spent some time checking their emails and evidence of payment, even though I had a copy of the confirmation email they sent with me. Only then did they do some scouring around for an available tour guide. He came 1/2 an hour later.
The tour itself was ok. We had fairly decent bikes and the guide seemed nice enough. Gorgeous weather on the day - sunshine, blue skies with a cooling wind-made the experience a good one. But to be honest, I gained a lot more historically, factually and otherwise when I did a similar bike tour 3 years earlier with another bike rental company. I would not recommend this company. Although they were somewhat apologetic, their lack of professionalism was just not good. At $39 per head, I would expect a hell of a better service.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Rona286

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very poor business practices.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I rented two bikes from Rent a Bike through a Groupon. $16 for 2 hours for 2 bikes. (it was $30 for a whole day for 2 bikes).

My reservation was from 1:35 to 3:35. At about 3:00 I noticed I wouldn't be able to make it back by 3:35, so I called to inform them I would be late. I was told that any late bikes were subject to a $15 late charge, per bike. The late charge was the same for a bike 5 minutes late, as for one 59 minutes late.

When I returned my bike, the person in the shop handed me back my drivers' license and said that was all I needed to do - I was done.

Since they were having a slow business day (I think I was the only bike renter at the time), I assumed they just looked past the slight delay I had in returning the bikes, and thought it was an act of goodwill.

An hour later, I get a call from the shop. I missed the call because my phone was on silent. I called back, no response. Alright - I went back to my hotel, a subway ride away from this place. An hour after that, I get a call from a different number, clearly a cell phone. I answer it, and it's the person working at the bike shop: "You didn't pay for your entire time here. You will have to pay it by the next time you rent a bike from us. I will come to your hotel to collect the extra money."

Not wanting to deal with anything weird, I offered to simply return to the shop and pay the extra $30 (note, this is $30 for 30 minutes of extra bicycling; I originally paid $16 for 2 hours, and $30 would have gotten me a day pass).

This was a frighteningly bad experience with a local business. Not only did the person at the shop not acknowledge their error, but they framed it as my wrongdoing. I should have told them I was late, and it was my fault that I didn't pay for the extra 30 minutes. In spite of their gross oversight here, they still asked me to pay all of the $30 - even though I went out of my way to return to the shop. No discount on the fee or anything.

The bikes were good. If you can get a good Groupon for this place, I would recommend it if you're okay supporting a place with terrible business practices. If you don't have a coupon, I would highly suggest searching for something else.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Spencer T
Jersey, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Poor quality bikes, no locks”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Superficially close to Central Park and a bit cheaper than the guys actually renting bikes in the Park this place is best avoided. The bikes we rented were old, heavy and slow and they did not supply bike locks. Also the maps/instructions for riding around Central Park were very poor. I imagine that the must be better places than this to use for a bike hire. Avoid

Visited August 2013
1 Thank GDM70
Ubud, Indonesia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Scammers - stay away!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We had a groupon for this company but when we went to reserve they tried to add on more money for a variety of reasons. Thanks for ruining are plans for a day riding around Central Park. Stay away from these crooks!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Emily M
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Poor Service”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I brought two groupons for this place; the groupon is for all day 2 bikes or 1 tantrum bike. I went there with three of my friends and the first thing they said was we needed to make a reservation. Which is understandable, so I explained to them that i tried to do so online and the online reservation were charging me money so I didn't reserve, they said okay but we still can't have the bikes. At first he thought it was just the two of my friends so he agree to giving them bikes, however once he realize me and my other friend were also trying to use a groupon he changed his face. He said that all the bikes are reserved and we cannot rent them. Disappointed we were about to just walk out, then in comes this group of four people wanted to rent bikes also with no reservation the only difference is that they are tourist and they are "paying " customer (meaning they didn't use a groupon) the guy quickly set them up with bikes without a question and just pretended we are not standing there. they told us to come back in an hour when the groupon bikes are back, and we did but it was the worst bike i have ever rode on, we couldn't shift the gears one of the bike cannot hold a basket and he did not even give me an option to pick on what kind of bike we wanted (mountain bikes or comfort bike) they just had a bad attitude. We wanted two locks and he gave us an attitude and said that we didn’t sign for one and if wanted one we should have said so before. He did end up giving us the locks but once again with an attitude. When we are back from the bike rides the staff were having an argument and this guy was cursing loudly in front of us when we were trying to get our id cards back, it took the guy at the front another 5 min. before he hangs up the phone and gives us the i.d back.(btw there were two other staff behind the counter just not doing anything so I didn’t understand why we had to wait) I will never recommend this place to anyone even if is free.

Visited July 2013