“Great value in Lower Manhattan” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Windsor Hotel
Ranked #433 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Seongnam
“Great value in Lower Manhattan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Location is superb near Grand St in Lower East Side/Chinatown...Lots of East Village bars are within walking...subway connections are excellent...didn't need much from front desk but they were very helpful when I had questions...like most cheaper NY hotels, the space is tiny...Chinatown was great for some cheap eats...if I'm in Manhattan again, I'd stay here again...

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I know this is considered a cheap price for Manhattan, and the location was very convenient.

Due to a mid-week trip elsewhere I stayed in two different rooms.
The first room I stayed in was ok though shabby looking (worn carpets and curtains. not very appealing).
The second room I stayed in was horrible - hairs all over the bathroom, wooden board lining the sink stuck with gaffer tape.
However, the main horror was BEDBUGS. I was bitten all over my body, and am still recovering (after three weeks!). I told the receptionist about this and he said that they would check the room and refund me if there were bedbugs in the room. I never heard back from the hotel, even after sending several emails, with photos showing the pattern of the bites that is typical of bedbugs ('three in a row' straight lines).

Just so you know:
Bedbugs are really difficult to get rid of once they've settled in your house - you can actually bring them home with you if they've decided to move into your suitcase. So if you encounter such a problem here (or any hotel) MOVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT IN YOUR SUITCASE.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Guy_Harries

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

It was my first time going to NYC with family and found this hotel close to Tribeca (actually Chinatown) but not so expensive compared with others in the midtown. But, instead of $200/night I would probably give half of that and feel better... the hotel looks big in the picture but it is tiny. No lobby, no cafeteria, nothing...very close to subway station which was a plus...the whole area stinks since lots of open markets during the day and trash at night..I came back full of mosquito bites...

Young and friendly staff, not very interested in giving lots of details. We were happy when they "upgrated" us to the "penthouse", actually the top floor with access to the dilapidated terrace with a splendid view of Manhathan (dont expect more than that). The room was big but poorly maintained but I felt strange without doors since the elevator gave "secured" access to the room (no locks).

In our last night we were suddenly waken up by a couple at 4:45AM who found access to the terrace and started a romantic scene. Although I was sorry to disrupt their project I was also in shock with their presence. In the same night we had to listen to a party coming from the building in the back, started at 11PM until 3AM...

Most likely will not stay there for the same price I can stay at the chain hotel close by.

Room Tip: Penthouse can be noisy, others can have access to terrace besides you
Yokosuka
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

I had originally planned to travel on my own so had booked a single room, but about 3 weeks out, my wife and her friend decided to join me so I wrote to the email provided on the Windsor website that I needed a larger room capable of including a rollaway. When we arrived we were booked in a single so I asked if they had received my email (of course no - or at least they said they had not) so they had us move to a double. When we asked to have the rollaway, they said that that room was too small and they gave us a larger room. Each time, we had to lug our own luggage and pay an upgrade cost including the cost of the rollaway. (This was fine with me as I had anticipated there were be a charge) well, that night we found two bed bugs - one on the bed and one in the bathroom. We "saved" them and showed them to the front desk that next morning. They offered to give us the "penthouse" but was soon told IT wasn't big enough for a rollaway so moved to another room. We were in a hurry to get to an appointment so quickly packed our things (again) and left them by the front desk. Now, we assumed they would move them into the "new" room for us as bed bugs are a serious thing and most hotels would go out of their way to "calm our fears," right? Nevertheless, when we returned from our busy and tiring day, we found we were to lug our own bags upstairs. At this point we realized we had left some items in the refrigerator of the previous room and asked for them. They had been thrown out. (They KNEW we we still at the hotel so why didn't they bring them to our room - now the FOURTH room we have been in!) as for the other things: towels were rough to the touch, curtains falling down, TV broke, sheets with stains, in fact, sheets that really should be replaced altogether as they had obviously run their course.

On the positive side, hotel was convenient to several buses and subways. In the heart of China Town. Trees line the street in front giving an open feeling rather than looking out onto another building.

I guess you get what you pay for in NYC.

Room Tip: IF you decide to stay here - best to get an upper floor (6th) on the corner as the view is very nice...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We kind of knew what to expect for the price we were paying, but still ...

I know it's New York City, but still ...

This place is like a card board box. They have tried hard to make it nice but there is only so much you can do. But here's my list anyways ... new beds (these were rock hard), new pillows (rock hard again), new carpet (they were dark coloured to hide the dirt), softer towels (they were very rough), more towels (2 just isn't enough), more bathroom stuff (soap, shampoo, etc. there just wasn't enough, however they did provide tooth brushes and toothpaste - why??? who doesn't bring their own).

The room was small,, but that's ok. We've had small rooms before, like in Paris (even smaller) but ... we paid less in Paris, less in Toronto, less in Boston for alot better accommodations.

We will never go here again and we will have to bite the bullet and pay more next time.

Oh well....

p.s. oh yeah almost forgot - location, location, location - was great. Subways, beautiful neighbourhoods, blah ,blah, blah - all that great New York vibe kind of stuff.

2 Thank Joe F
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

My wife and I stayed here with our 18 month old son for 3 nights in May of 2013. After reading the reviews we were unsure what to expect, but are very pleased that we stayed here. The front desk staff is very accommodating to questions and are very helpful during our entire stay. The room was small, but not so small as to be nonfunctional. We stacked the end table on the dresser and moved the bed against the wall and we had more than enough room for the two adults, plus a portable baby bed unfolded. The bathroom had more than enough room, and was very clean. The air conditioner worked, but was always shut off after the room was serviced. There was very little noise late at night and the neighborhood felt safe, even late. There is reasonably priced parking close, too. The park is a nice place to let the kids run around and unwind after a long day.

Room Tip: Seemed quiet up on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RapidRick1
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This hotel is in a great location if you want to visit NYC. Close to the subway stations and a direct line straight from JFK airport. It's on the edge of China town and Lower East side so be prepared for an area which is not super clean but at the same time full of life. China town in NYC is the largest outide of China so you can almost get two holiday experiences in one! We got a warm welcome in the hotel and the room was clean (except for a few black marks in the seal around the bath...). The bed was large and very comfortable and there was a new flat screen TV in the room as well as a digital locking safe for valuables.You also get a private bathroom which is not the case in all of the cheaper hotels in Manhatten.We were on the 6th floor and could see the Empire State building and the new Liberty building from our window .There is someone at the front desk 24/7 which is great. If you're going to visit the city then this is a great address - great location and not too expensive. No breakfast service but there are plenty of cheap places to eat not far from the hotel.
The Lower East side offers a lot of trendy bars etc. and don't forget to visit the tenement museum which is a couple of blocks away from the hotel to find out how the immigrants lived when they arrived in NYC.
I would recommend this hotel to people who want to visit the city. It probably isn't the best address for a young couple on a romantic trip who would be better of staying in the midtown amongst the bright lights.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a corner window which will give you a direct view on the Statue of Liberty if you...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple