“Do Not Book Here!”
Review of Windsor Hotel

Windsor Hotel
Ranked #450 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 12 August 2013

On a multi-family trip to NYC I booked 3 rooms at this hotel through Expedia and then cancelled when one of the other families found a better deal. Expedia cancelled the room and I was given a cancellation number and thought everything was fine. The hotel proceeded to bill my credit card for the 3 rooms and it has taken 5 months (!) and we still cannot get them to refund my credit card. No one is ever there when Expedia calls to rectify this (no matter the time of day). Expedia also has given me the runaround blaming the hotel when they, Expedia, did the cancellation and provided me a cancellation number. Unless you enjoy hundreds of dollars $$$ in interest charges while you wait for a refund..... do not book here. Forget about Expedia --terrible public relations and customer service.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Louise E

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I was a little skeptical about staying here because of the bad reviews. However, my friends and I came prepared for the bed bugs. We bought bed bug spray and Lysol and sprayed the room and bathroom as soon as we checked in and didn't have a problem. The room was more spacious than I thought (there were 3 of us so we got the room with 1 full and 1 twin). The front desk workers were so nice. We stayed 5 nights and 4 days. The hotel is less than a block from the nearest subway so it was very convenient for travel to other areas (we were on the 'D' train so much! lol). There is also a grocery/convenience store right across the street from the hotel. With it being in Chinatown you are very close to Canal, Delancey, and Mott streets, which are known for great shopping. You are also very close to Little Italy which has great Italian restaurants. I would definitely stay here again. The first time we came, which was 2 years ago, we stayed in the Americana Inn (I love that hotel too, but they were more expensive). Windsor was $123/night (weeknights) and $131/night (weekends)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BiancaMichelle
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Location is superb near Grand St in Lower East Side/Chinatown...Lots of East Village bars are within walking...subway connections are excellent...didn't need much from front desk but they were very helpful when I had questions...like most cheaper NY hotels, the space is tiny...Chinatown was great for some cheap eats...if I'm in Manhattan again, I'd stay here again...

Reviewed 25 June 2013

I know this is considered a cheap price for Manhattan, and the location was very convenient.

Due to a mid-week trip elsewhere I stayed in two different rooms.
The first room I stayed in was ok though shabby looking (worn carpets and curtains. not very appealing).
The second room I stayed in was horrible - hairs all over the bathroom, wooden board lining the sink stuck with gaffer tape.
However, the main horror was BEDBUGS. I was bitten all over my body, and am still recovering (after three weeks!). I told the receptionist about this and he said that they would check the room and refund me if there were bedbugs in the room. I never heard back from the hotel, even after sending several emails, with photos showing the pattern of the bites that is typical of bedbugs ('three in a row' straight lines).

Just so you know:
Bedbugs are really difficult to get rid of once they've settled in your house - you can actually bring them home with you if they've decided to move into your suitcase. So if you encounter such a problem here (or any hotel) MOVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT IN YOUR SUITCASE.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Guy_Harries
Reviewed 25 June 2013

It was my first time going to NYC with family and found this hotel close to Tribeca (actually Chinatown) but not so expensive compared with others in the midtown. But, instead of $200/night I would probably give half of that and feel better... the hotel looks big in the picture but it is tiny. No lobby, no cafeteria, nothing...very close to subway station which was a plus...the whole area stinks since lots of open markets during the day and trash at night..I came back full of mosquito bites...

Young and friendly staff, not very interested in giving lots of details. We were happy when they "upgrated" us to the "penthouse", actually the top floor with access to the dilapidated terrace with a splendid view of Manhathan (dont expect more than that). The room was big but poorly maintained but I felt strange without doors since the elevator gave "secured" access to the room (no locks).

In our last night we were suddenly waken up by a couple at 4:45AM who found access to the terrace and started a romantic scene. Although I was sorry to disrupt their project I was also in shock with their presence. In the same night we had to listen to a party coming from the building in the back, started at 11PM until 3AM...

Most likely will not stay there for the same price I can stay at the chain hotel close by.

Room Tip: Penthouse can be noisy, others can have access to terrace besides you
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I had originally planned to travel on my own so had booked a single room, but about 3 weeks out, my wife and her friend decided to join me so I wrote to the email provided on the Windsor website that I needed a larger room capable of including a rollaway. When we arrived we were booked in a single so I asked if they had received my email (of course no - or at least they said they had not) so they had us move to a double. When we asked to have the rollaway, they said that that room was too small and they gave us a larger room. Each time, we had to lug our own luggage and pay an upgrade cost including the cost of the rollaway. (This was fine with me as I had anticipated there were be a charge) well, that night we found two bed bugs - one on the bed and one in the bathroom. We "saved" them and showed them to the front desk that next morning. They offered to give us the "penthouse" but was soon told IT wasn't big enough for a rollaway so moved to another room. We were in a hurry to get to an appointment so quickly packed our things (again) and left them by the front desk. Now, we assumed they would move them into the "new" room for us as bed bugs are a serious thing and most hotels would go out of their way to "calm our fears," right? Nevertheless, when we returned from our busy and tiring day, we found we were to lug our own bags upstairs. At this point we realized we had left some items in the refrigerator of the previous room and asked for them. They had been thrown out. (They KNEW we we still at the hotel so why didn't they bring them to our room - now the FOURTH room we have been in!) as for the other things: towels were rough to the touch, curtains falling down, TV broke, sheets with stains, in fact, sheets that really should be replaced altogether as they had obviously run their course.

On the positive side, hotel was convenient to several buses and subways. In the heart of China Town. Trees line the street in front giving an open feeling rather than looking out onto another building.

I guess you get what you pay for in NYC.

Room Tip: IF you decide to stay here - best to get an upper floor (6th) on the corner as the view is very nice...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We kind of knew what to expect for the price we were paying, but still ...

I know it's New York City, but still ...

This place is like a card board box. They have tried hard to make it nice but there is only so much you can do. But here's my list anyways ... new beds (these were rock hard), new pillows (rock hard again), new carpet (they were dark coloured to hide the dirt), softer towels (they were very rough), more towels (2 just isn't enough), more bathroom stuff (soap, shampoo, etc. there just wasn't enough, however they did provide tooth brushes and toothpaste - why??? who doesn't bring their own).

The room was small,, but that's ok. We've had small rooms before, like in Paris (even smaller) but ... we paid less in Paris, less in Toronto, less in Boston for alot better accommodations.

We will never go here again and we will have to bite the bullet and pay more next time.

Oh well....

p.s. oh yeah almost forgot - location, location, location - was great. Subways, beautiful neighbourhoods, blah ,blah, blah - all that great New York vibe kind of stuff.

2  Thank Joe F