“No heater in the cold room in DECEMBER !!”
Review of World Hotel

World Hotel
Ranked #452 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Merritt Island, Florida
“No heater in the cold room in DECEMBER !!”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed this hotel thought Chinese should be friendly and we are Chinese also , but it's so disappointed, we understand in NYC , everything costs expensive and if we could get a room for short stay still be appreciate . Well, the hotel provide towels are so dirty and awful , only 2 towels are very very old , the sheet was dirty with different spot couldn't wash clean the terrible thing is , no heater !! in December 20th , no heat and cold air from the celing like regular A/C but no control with it. nothing we can do so we called, the front desk guy was nice says will set temperature higher , no, nothing change and very very cold , the bed doesn't look like full size ,smaller actually,for 2 adults ?? my god . next day I got a really bad cold , I don't want to say because no heat. morning we talked to the another guy, he said in NYC, only 50F degrees they don't need to turn heater on !!! but we were really freezing and I don't believe that room was around 50F , the cold air from ceilng couldn't sleep . anyway , really bad experience there. bathroom without mat from the shower?? night stand light couldn't turn on....etc

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Susan C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The room is too pricy for its constricted space. There is only space for one bed and it charges 84 dollars. Also, the towels are worn out and contains marks on them. It only has an outdated TV with no remote control, which provides inconvenience. The supplies are cheap.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dj d

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is by far one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in and I've travelled the world! The pictures the hotel advertise of the rooms are a complete lie! They are not of this hotel. Our room was only the size of the bed, we couldn't even fit our luggage on the floor or open the door all the way. Because of this the room was not very clean, how could it be when they can't even fit a vacuum cleaner in there to clean it. The staff are not helpful at all, mainly a young man who worked on reception who was utterly useless and unpleasant. Our stay was made worse by the fact that someone unfortunately died in the room next door to us so our room smelt so terrible we had to move hotels immediately after we were told by the police what had happened. The hotel were completely unsympathetic to the situation, not even caring enough to stop checking people in whilst the body was still in the room. They were so negligent that they didn't even notice the man had not come out of his room at all, it was only when the smell was so horrific that people in the hotel complained and the police were called. The hotel said they were fully booked so could not offer us another room and did not even help us to find another hotel, even though New York is extremely busy and expensive and it was night time, we had to walk around in the dark and find somewhere ourselves. This hotel is not even safe, if a fire broke out it would spread from room to room instantly because there is literally a paper thin wall between each bedroom! They should be shut down immediately!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Maria G
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here on the 4th to the 5th due to my bf's business trip. Check in was ok, but the room is very small, we reserved for a private bathroom room, but instead they gave us a shared bathroom room.

The room's furnitures are outdated, seem like the chair could fall over anytime soon. Wifi was slow, and the heater didn't seem like it's working at all. The shared bathroom is very unclean, as the people that stayed here can't seem to help keep it clean, or the helps here don't care much.

Location is right in the heart of Chinatown, close to shopping/eating, close to subways stations, and those are the only good thing for this motel. If you are not planning to stay in room all day, then it's fine. But if you are, DO NOT stay here, and spend a little extra at the Comfort Inn (Manhattan Bridge).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Stephy L
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed here it was a cheap room but no value, no elevator had to walk up and down 5 flights of stairs, I opened the door and literally the bed was right there I could stand up and each hand could touch both walls this room was the size of a small SUV, no joke, they gave me a orange heavily used beach towel as a bath towel, could hear a couple three doors down eating and being intimate, asked front desk move room he seemed agitated and gave me a room, just as bad no a/c or t.v., don't be fooled by photos online they don't look like that there's only two bathrooms for the whole floor and there incredibly filthy, its also in a rather in unsafe area I had a two night stay there and left and got a room at a way better hotel was more but worth it, please don't make the same mistake I did don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jacob012586
Reviewed 13 November 2013

If this hell hole was in the UK , it would be closed down !!!
DO NOT REPEAT NOT STAY THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!

After an 8 hour flight from the UK , WE ARRIVED TO BE TOLD WE NEED TO PAY BEFORE BEING GIVEN THE KEY ,
So we paid and the key was handed over once we tackled the 5 flights of stairs with our heavy suitcases , the room which can only be described as worse than the Bangkok Hilton (prison ) , no no In fact it makes the Bangkok Hilton look like the ritz they take the money knowing full well that if you saw the room first there is no way you would stay there

The lovely view of blood stained covers and wet towels from the previous person were there to greet to As well as the bedside table thick with dirt not to meantion dirty floors and curtains

THERE WAS A MAN SHOUTING EVERY NIGHT FROM SOMEWHERE TELLING SOMEONE TO SHUT UP IN A VERY ABUSIVE MANOR WHICH WAS SCARY AND INTIMIDATING NOT SURE WHERE BUT HE SOUNDED SO CLOSE HE COULD OF BEEN SITTING ON THE BED WITH ME

I had to go to the nearest shop to buy gloves bleach and clothes to clean the shower out myself before I could even think about getting in it

I complained about the blood stained covers only to be blamed for doing it myself and he refused to replace them as if I would do something like that .

After the 3rd night we couldn't take any more and left at 6am to a more expensive hotel without any kind of refund

I have complained to booking.com who quite frankly do not care about this and will not accept any kind if responsibility ,

The pictures advertised on booking.coms website do not exists in that place , so do not go off the pictures that you see on the sellers websites

BE WARNED please spend the extra

The whole experience of the new world hotel ( what a joke ) ruined my holiday I had saved so hard

• Stayed October 2013
13 Thank Anjunabird
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I booked 2 nights at this 'hotel' via Booking.com for a room advertised a 'Standard Twin' for $90 per night. On arrival, I struggled up a steep flight of stairs to find a shabby 'lobby', and the surly desk clerk asked for my ID and Credit Card. He then gave me my room key and said the room was up another 3 flights of stairs. When I asked if anyone could help me carry my suitcase, he said he was the only person there and could not leave the desk. I opened the door to my room (on a long and dismal corridor) and gazed in disbelief at the cramped, windowless cubby-hole and the ONE tiny bed. The shared shower and toilet area was filthy and stank to high heaven. There was someone injecting drugs in the toilet. Needless to say I decided not to stay and left the premises to look for another hotel. I returned an hour later to collect my things. I contacted Booking.com who forwarded my email to the 'New World Hotel. A week later I received a response that was illiterate at best and full of inaccuracies and lies. The Manager claimed that someone had carried my case to my room, that the shower/toilets are cleaned every 3 hours and that the room was as advertised. The place should be shut down. It would be a rip-off at $9, never mind $90. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo