“A very entertaining experience”

Mexican Festival Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mexican Festival Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,914 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Description: "Mexican Festival restaurant is the Upper West Side's culinary destination for authentic Mexican cuisine. A recently updated décor and menu, featuring hand-pressed tortillas and innovative traditional dishes with a contemporary twist, make it the perfect place to enjoy good company, a festive yet elegant ambiance and amazing authentic food."
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Two friends and I visited this restaurant from Australia last week. We all thought it was by far the most entertaining, interactive meal we had during our two weeks in NYC. The live Mexican music was certainly something every tourist should experience, and the musicians were eager to please. A very fun, upbeat atmosphere, overall.

The meals were not only generous, value-for-money servings, but delicious considering the price. Our main meals averaged $14 and we couldn't finish them all. The free appetiser (corn chips, mild dip) was much better than the basic bread we were used to at other NYC restaurants, and our meals arrived just as we finished the appetiser.

They were also serving $5 margaritas on the night we visited, but only at the bar. We definitely would have taken advantage of the cheap cocktails if we were seated at the bar.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Food was really good and I enjoyed the live music. Service was alright, but could have been better. Overall pretty average. I would visit again.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

So, we loved Mama Mexico and we hadn't been back since it close and we're feeling a little nostalgic so we decided to give Maria Bonita (formally know as Mama Mexico) a chance. BIG, no HUGE mistake, hands down one of the worst dinning experience of our lives. The establishment looks exactly like it did before, but that's where the similarities end. For starters the service was mediocre to say the least, but that wasn't even the problem. The food was disgusting, I know that the menu looks almost identical to the former, but the cuts of meat, the taste and overall quality of the food can not even be compare to Taco Bell. So here's the run down of our order: Mango Margarita for two was $20, served in a pineapple, not bad (only good thing actually), table side guacamole $11 (nothing special, edible) two hamburgers for the children $11 each with some frozen French fries, bad but edible. Filet Mignon with mushroom tequila cream sauce $30, for the worst cut of meat I've ever had, EVER, no cream but an insane amount of sour cream mixed with what appear to be cream of mushroom soup, so needless to say it was sent back. I then order some sauté shrimp dish $28, that was described as a scampi with garlic and white wine but turn out to be six shrimps drench in black mole with a small heap of white rice in the middle, to add insult to injury the shrimps were 30-40 in size or they were severely over cooked to this size, so I send it back and my meal was over. My husband ordered steak fajitas $17, the steak pieces were huge (not fajita size) and were difficult to cut, even with a steak knife due to the amount of fibrinous tissue in the cut, oh and the taste; think Old El Paso dinner kit (the low sodium version). So needles to say that was also send back. But it didn't stop there we're gluttons for punishment, so my husband orders a chicken fajita instead (guess what that tasted like), sent back. The waitress was so uncomfortable it was actually painful to watch, and mind you we are not the types to make a scene, we were very discreet, trying to make sure that the other three tables in the large establishment didn't notice are discontent. So finally, the supposed owner of the place comes over and instead of apologizing for our experience goes on the defensive and basically told us we were pretty much the only customers that had ever complain about the food, SERIOULY; I highly doubt that. She didn't comp any items from our bill and only offer to removed the un-eaten items from our bill, how generous, really. So we ended up with the biggest waste of $76, EVER, I mean I would have prefer to have lost the money then waste it on this place. So my advice: stay far, far away and hope they go out of business soon, cause it's a good spot for somebody that understand the restaurant business and it's willing to find some Mexicans that can actually cook (no offense).

2  Thank Celiarn
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

When we sat down we were helped really fast. We got a basket of chips with sauce. I ordered taco's and they tasted really good. My girlfriend had burito and that was also really good. The only thing that was expensive were the drinks. $6 for a coronona and $3 for a sprite..

Reviewed 26 March 2013

We went here with our $50 Groupon. The mango drink was large and great! Very yummy! The rioja sangria was very good too!! I had steak, green peppers, onions, beans and rice too. We also had really good mild guacamole and corn chips for starters. The green enchiladas were good too.
We will be back! Great neighborhood too.