Review of Comic Strip Live

Comic Strip Live
Ranked #56 of 163 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Comedy club that has seen the likes of Jerry Seinfeld, Eddie Murphy, Paul Reiser and Adam Sandler gracing its stage.
Reviewed 8 November 2013

What a scam!!! I just left the Comic Strip Live after they tried to rip me off. Upon arrival I was told that everyone has to buy two items so while I waited in the bar area (the same bar that serves the club) to enter, I bought some of their crappy over priced popcorn and an Stella, two items. When we got inside we bought three more items, total of 5. Midway through the final act, the server interrupted our time to say that I need to buy yet more items as I had not bought the quota of items. I said I'd bought two before entering based on a staff member's suggestion and was then told that that purchase didn't count because it wasn't during the show. I was livid. She then said that the manager insisted that it be paid. I left the amount that I believed I owed and while I could have slipped out without paying at all, I thought I'd do what they seem to not be able to do: be honest and not rip people off!!! You suck Comedy Strip!!!

5  Thank Chris R

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I’m not a fan of stand-up but my husband is, so every so often I get dragged to a show. We’ve been here before. The on-line advanced ticket system is easy to navigate; the ticket price is also cheap ($15). The drinks are watered down and over priced ($12 with a 2 drink / $20 pp minimum) but you have to expect that going in. I was particularly disappointed this time because the tonic in my vodka and tonic was flat. The comedians were good; the MC was funny. The bathroom is too small for the number of people in the club and they need a better system / line before the show. This time we were seated behind the “rail” that divides the two rooms. I was pretty happy with this because we didn’t have to share a table with strangers; we had a direct line of sight to the stage without being a “target” and I had sufficient leg and elbow room, which is a true luxury in a comedy club.

Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

One of the most amazing times I ever have. If you ever get the time. Take the comic strip live comedy tour. Outstanding,fun, exciting. Special thanks to Marshall stevenson who made my experience a memorable one.Being able to get up on the stage was a one in a life time experience.A must see tour. If you like comedy you won't want to miss this.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I join other reviewers in my enthusiasm for this club. Everything about this place was spot on. Intimate setting (so small that no member of the audience could hide from the performers), several excellent performers (nearly every one was stellar), and everyone in the audience was clearly enjoying the show. Some things you need to know up front: the show is long but it's worth it; the tickets/cover charge is affordable, but calculate in a two drink/$20 minimum; and the humor was adult and not appropriate for the pre-college crowd. I was also pleased with how non-drinker friendly the club was -- the $20 minimum translates into unlimited soda, tea, lemonade, and/or non-alcoholic versions of their normal fare, and the waitress was really conscientious about prompt refills. Highly recommend it.

3  Thank Leneal
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We bought tickets off a very charismatic funny guy in Times Square- Taylor. We didn't intend on going to a comedy show but he sold it well so we said we'd give it a go! Got 6 tickets off him for $40 as there was a big group of us. He mentioned that there was a $20/ 2 drink minimum when you got there and recommended booking a table in advance by ringing them whenever we decided to go. There are loads of show times and you can go any day. Tickets are valid for a year he said.
I didn't read any reviews before we went so didn't know what to expect from the place! We went on a Saturday night at 10.30pm and it was packed! Unfortunately we hadn't booked in advance as we weren't sure whether we would go that day or not. When we got there it was starting to get busy- about 10pm and then it got crazy busy after that. We were put on a waiting list since we hadnt reserved and it was full up. It's an interesting looking little place with loads of photos of comedians on the walls who have been there before.
Luckily we got in on the waiting list so we were delighted and proceeded to the small room with loads of tables and seats in it. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was buzzing.
We got to listen to 3 comedians. The first comedian wasn't funny at all in my opinion. He was arrogant, too loud, rude and just plain annoying! The next guy was hilarious, we were falling off our chairs laughing- Joe Matarese was his name! Then the third guy (Arty Lang) seemed very popular with the pretty much all American crowd. They were cheering and laughing at him like there was no tomorrow. I just didn't get it. He wasn't funny to us Europeans! Very American orientated and actually quite difficult to understand! Some pieces were funny by most weren't!
In relation to the drinks prices , I had 2 non alcoholic drinks at $6 each which was fine. The hot chocolate was lovely.
Overall we enjoyed the night here. It's a good area with lots of restaurants nearby so we had dinner around the corner beforehand and we made an evening of it. It seems like a good comedy club but as always with these things it's hit and miss on your luck with the comedians on the night. If you're not American just be prepared to be lost on what they're talking about sometimes and their different sense of humour!!

4  Thank champkis