“True to their theme”
Review of The Maritime Hotel

The Maritime Hotel
Ranked #147 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This was a last minute business trip, so I wasn't looking for glitz and glamour, I was looking for convenience. It was a PERFECT location to walk to my meetings and enjoy Chelsea Market (which I love). I felt like I was on a boat...in a good way. It was clean, staff was friendly and there were definitely upper-crust amenities if you chose to partake (I had a travel budget to adhere to).

If you like "themed" hotels, this one is great. If you think it's cheesy and tacky, then, whatever, you're probably no fun anyhow. :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Kauffdrops-Thank you so much for passing on your comments on Trip Advisor and for choosing The Maritime Hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your FUN review. We always enjoy when our guest have fun and enjoy themselves. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We are glad to hear you took advantage of some amenities we offer and some sites around us like the Chelsea Market. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance on a future visit.
All the best, Matt Moore- General Manager

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed at the Maritime last weekend and I just loved the hotel. Everyone from the front desk staff to housekeeping were very friendly. This was a "stay-cation" for me as I live in NYC and I already love the area for walking on the Highline and window shopping. The bed was so comfortable that I slept 12 hours the 1st night! The CO Bigelow products in the bathroom were a nice touch and make sure to enjoy the technology made available to you all over the room. I would definitely stay here again for my next stay-cation. Oh and, brunch in Bottega was delicious. Breakfast pizza and bloody marys!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to one of the penthouses. Just do it!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

samziar- Thank you for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your staycation!! Thank you for pointing out a lot of the amenities we have to offer. So glad to know you enjoyed the CO Bigelow products. It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager

Reviewed 4 September 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Maritime and had a wonderful stay. The staff was extremely helpful and very professional when we checked in. They were more than accommodating and ended up upgrading us to a gorgeous room. We had asked for dinner reservations and they gave us great options in the area and even helped us narrow down our choices. The room itself was perfect and the amenities definitely hit the rating over the top. Overall the location was perfect and we had an unforgettable time. I will no doubt be back as soon as I can!

Room Tip: Rooms higher up obviously have an amazing view :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

kgabara9-Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words and glad to hear you had an amazing experience! Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the amenities and the convenience of the neighborhood. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed there last weekend for maybe the 4th time. The hotel improved a lot over the years. Service is a lot better than before. The rooms are good-sized for NYC. I've stayed in similarly priced hotels where the rooms were a lot smaller. The rooms are clean, the bathroom is compact but nice. The shower temperature is not easy to control: it was changing in the middle of the shower. But I wouldn't call this a serious problem.

Room service is excellent and quick. When I called the housekeeping to clean my room, they responded immediately. The concierge was very helpful. he called restaurants and found us a place to eat (for a group of 12 on a Saturday night!!).

The only issue at the stay was a problem we had at La Bottega (see my review of the restaurant), but the hotel dealt with it really well. I think they have really good staff. Danielle, the assistant front desk manager was very courteous and professional. All the front desk people were very nice. For me, good front desk is a very important element in choosing a hotel.

The hotel has an excellent location, steps away from the subway, Chelsea Market, the High Line, etc. Valets are very friendly and helpful. The reception area is very chill and spacious.

I've read a few comments complaining about drafty windows, noise from the street and terrace, and the size of the rooms. Yes, there is a little wind 'whistle' but honestly it's not a big bother. The building is a special building, so it has its sounds like most old buildings, but for me, it wasn't anything to loose sleep over. Noise from the street and partying? Welcome to NY. It's actually a lot better than the last two "luxury" hotels I stayed in in NYC where the party was literally happening in the reception area. The Maritime's reception is calm.

I recommend this hotel.

1  Thank MazenKh
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

MazenKh-Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. It's always a pleasure to welcome our guests back! Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit once again. We appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words and the positive feedback about the staff. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the amenities and the convenience of the neighborhood. We hope to welcome you back to The Maritime Hotel in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I just spent the Labour day weekend at this hotel, with my mum and my daughter. We had one room which had a double bed and the hotel provided a matress on the floor for my daughter. They said it would be an air matress when I inquired, but it was actually a proper single matress which was absolutely fine. The rooms are quite small, but have everything you need including an extensive mini bar, umbrellas, bath robes, iron and board, etc. The bathroom is great with lovely products and large shower. They provide an iPod doc and DVD player with a huge selection of DVD's at the front desk (free to borrow). Each porthole window in the room has a sound proofing foam which is perfect for keeping out the noise and also a great black out.
The staff are lovely and so friendly, especially Michael, who helped us with our cases and to settle into our room. The hotel restaurant serves good food at a reasonable price and the location is great for the Chelsea market, the higline, the piers and only 5 minutes taxi ride from Penn station.
We will definitely return

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Jill41-Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you so much for staying with us at The Maritime. It's a great source of inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. We are glad to here you enjoyed many things from the beds, common spaces, restaurants, and the service! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance with anything. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We were looking for a hotel downtown and were pleasantly surprised to find this gem available on Labor day weekend for such a terrific price. As the name suggests, the hotel has a nautical theme that can be traced back to its original purpose as the headquarters of the National Maritime Union. All the windows are circular in the style of portal windows on a cruise ship. The rooms are very similar to a cruise ship as they are quite small but well-maintained and comfortable for a short stay. The staff was uniformly friendly and helpful-especially Danielle at the front desk. We had brunch at the restaurant in the hotel and it was tasty and reasonably priced. A great value in a terrific location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

BilltyDeLyon- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor, and thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Maritime Hotel during the Labor Day weekend. Your feedback is much appreciated and we are so glad to hear you really enjoyed your stay. It's nice to know that the design aspect was a great experience and reached out to you. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime Hotel. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My work brings me to NY at least 4 times a year and so I decided this time to change my upper west side location and head down to Chelsea for some change. Being a pessimist myself I booked only two nights and decided to see the place first if I don’t like it and then if needed change the hotel…
The room was perfect! The view of the river was just what I needed and worth my trip uptown for my meetings. Location just opposite the Chelsea market and Meatpacking was regretful only because I was traveling alone and regretting the fact my partner was not there to enjoy this with me. Breakfast served at the hotel exceeds the standard one and coffee- gets a 10 for a coffee lover like me. So did I extend my stay? You bet I did!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

DalitB-Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear you decided to change your location while in NYC and stay with us at The Maritime Hotel. Happy to hear you enjoyed your time, the location, and even extended your stay! Your feedback is much appreciated and entire staff gets a chance to read your kind words. We do hope that you will visit us again and please let us know if we can ever be of assistance in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime Hotel. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager