“A step back in history!”
Review of The Maritime Hotel

The Maritime Hotel
Ranked #161 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Randolph, New Jersey
“A step back in history!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

I love the Maritime hotel. I feel I am back in the 1960's. The hotel architecture is incredible. The murals in the interior are from another age. I always have a great time. A must to sèe in NYC! It is in a great section of New York with plenty to do in the meat district and high line park. Lots of great restaurants nearby.

• Stayed September 2013
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Henry B- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you so much for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and taking the time to share your kind words. Glad to hear you enjoyed the neighborhood and the hotel. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime. Please let us know if we can every be of assistance in the future. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived at 3am after several flight delays and slow immigration lines at JFK. The front desk staff were polite, helpful..and cool. From the moment we walked up the entrance stairs we knew this was the right choice to mingle with the urban hipster crowd. Right in the heart of Chelsea, there is a great mix of culture within walking distance - though I wouldn't recommend walking to Times Square from the hotel like we did one night - a bit far. The hotel itself has a great retro vibe to it, the food was great in the restaurant, though I found the room service menu to be a little pricey - but that's NYC I guess. Though the rooms were small, they didn't feel crammed as it was done similar to a yacht cabin with large mirrors, exotic wood trimming and custom built furnishings. We loved the way the mini bar was integrated into the closet and the awesome amenities on offer. The thing we disliked the most were the marble floors in the bathrooms because they were shockingly cold to walk on and not a nice feeling for a morning shower. The service of the excellent staff made up for it though - I can't remember the name of the doorman but he was always very helpful taking our shopping bags from the sidewalk up to the elevator and telling us the cool night spots to hit. Definitely going back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
JSD_Travel- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and, indeed, thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. Thanks for pointing out in detail some of the great things we have to offer here at The Maritime. Glad to know after what seemed to be a very long travel day you were able to relax and enjoy. It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
Joisey
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel was conveniently located next to the High LIne and ACE lines. The attached restaurant was good and reasonably priced which was great when we arrived around dinner time during a heavy downpour. The staff was helpful and friendly. Generally, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
72- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor, and thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Maritime Hotel. Your feedback is much appreciated and we are so glad to hear you found the location to be convenient. Sorry to hear you got caught in a heavy down pour but glad to know our staff was helpful and friendly. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime Hotel. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance.
All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
Northvale, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I've now stayed here twice and the level of customer service is like nothing I have ever experienced. The manager of this hotel goes above and beyond to ensure that your stay is perfect. I have stayed in a regular Basic room which is a thousand times better than the tiny basic rooms you'll find around Manhattan sometimes even for triple the cost. I have also stayed in one of the much larger suites which was impeccably maintained, beautiful and totally luxurious. The staff is helpful, the location is incredible and I highly recommend the Maritime to anyone coming to New York whether for business, pleasure or anything in between. There is also a privacy and a level of quiet in the rooms unlike the majority of hotels in New York City.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Danielle S- Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. Each member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments and we thank you for the wonderful shout out to them. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime Hotel in the near future.
All the best, Matt Moore General Manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I've stayed here three times and the Maritime has become one of the few hotels I look forward to staying at when on the road. The decor is great: imagine Wes Anderson designed a hotel. The mix of art deco with a splash of humor is perfect. Books and low key lighting set a low key but fun mood. The staff are really, really great. In particular the front desk excels at email correspondence, which makes it a lot easier for special requests. The rooms are NY typical small, but the state room motif makes that seem cute with clever use of space and shelves. Love the Bigelow amenities. My only small complaint is that the main entrance is fairly underwhelming. That may be a plus in keeping the people from the Dream next door away. ;)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
William D- Thank your for your review on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel three times thus far. We appreciated your kind words about your experience with us and love that you enjoyed the design and ambiance of the hotel. Glad to hear you enjoyed the Bigelow amenities! Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we can be your home away from home when in New York City. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This was a last minute business trip, so I wasn't looking for glitz and glamour, I was looking for convenience. It was a PERFECT location to walk to my meetings and enjoy Chelsea Market (which I love). I felt like I was on a boat...in a good way. It was clean, staff was friendly and there were definitely upper-crust amenities if you chose to partake (I had a travel budget to adhere to).

If you like "themed" hotels, this one is great. If you think it's cheesy and tacky, then, whatever, you're probably no fun anyhow. :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Kauffdrops-Thank you so much for passing on your comments on Trip Advisor and for choosing The Maritime Hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your FUN review. We always enjoy when our guest have fun and enjoy themselves. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We are glad to hear you took advantage of some amenities we offer and some sites around us like the Chelsea Market. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Maritime. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance on a future visit.
All the best, Matt Moore- General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed at the Maritime last weekend and I just loved the hotel. Everyone from the front desk staff to housekeeping were very friendly. This was a "stay-cation" for me as I live in NYC and I already love the area for walking on the Highline and window shopping. The bed was so comfortable that I slept 12 hours the 1st night! The CO Bigelow products in the bathroom were a nice touch and make sure to enjoy the technology made available to you all over the room. I would definitely stay here again for my next stay-cation. Oh and, brunch in Bottega was delicious. Breakfast pizza and bloody marys!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to one of the penthouses. Just do it!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
samziar- Thank you for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your staycation!! Thank you for pointing out a lot of the amenities we have to offer. So glad to know you enjoyed the CO Bigelow products. It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager