“Everything I want in a hotel”
Review of The Maritime Hotel

The Maritime Hotel
Ranked #149 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Sydney
“Everything I want in a hotel”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Great location - across from the Chelsea Markets for decent coffee, a block from the 14th St MTA for the A, C, E and L lines, and some great diners nearby as well.

There's an on site Italian restaurant with a great al fresco courtyard that serves great food and drinks. Perfect for a terribly rainy day when we didn't want to leave the hotel.

The room isn't big, but the window opened (always a plus), the bathroom was well appointed with great products, and the decor was fresh and whimsical. I loved it. I was travelling with my colleagues and stayed in my own room, but I might enquire about a bigger room if I were rooming with someone.

Friendly staff. Only downside is the very steep stairs at entrance. If you've had a drink, watch your step.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Jetlagwoofer-Thank you for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during your time in NYC. Thank you for pointing out a lot of the amenities we have to offer and the great location. Chelsea Market is a wonderful spot! It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance.
All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Palm Springs
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay. Excellent service across the board. Rooms are nicely outfitted and the nautical vibe was unique. The boutique restaurant has an excellent menu and a great wine selection. The service was friendly and prompt. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed October 2013
Sharon G-Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We are glad to hear you felt The Maritime was " excellent across the board". We appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If we can ever be of assistance please don't hesitate to ask.
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I just stayed at The Maritime Hotel. The experience was everything we wanted and more! Great design, location, and staff. Highly recommend this hotel the Nautical design theme is really neat but not tacky whatsoever. The surrounding areas are all great. We walked to the Chelsea Market(across the street) for coffee each morning and then down to the Highline(a block away). The Meatpacking district has great restaurants and shops(thanks to the super friendly and knowledgeable front desk staff). The room was very clean and spacious for my wife and I. We will definetly be back as we really enjoyed our experience. Keep on doing what your doing Maritime!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
StevenSC16-Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We are glad to hear you and your wife enjoyed this "wonderful oasis in the city". Sounds like the two of you enjoyed a lot of great things in the area and what the hotel has to offer. We appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If we can ever be of assistance please don't hesitate to ask. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was originally pretty impressed with the Maritime. The location is great - right across from Chelsea Market. By NYC standards, the room was fairly standard (that means small), but comfortable. The furnishings were very up to date. And the room was clean. My only complaint was the staff. My second morning, there was no hot water. When you're paying over $300 / night, you expect hot water. I reported the issue to the front desk when checking out and the desk clerk totally discounted my complaint. "You just need to let the water run for about 5 minutes." I assured him I had. He then sort of harumphed, and continued getting me my receipt. No apology. Nothing. Were it not for this issue, I'd give the Maritime a rating of "very good."

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Greg A- Thank you for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for your experince. I'm looking into this matter as your review does come as a surprise. I assure you, occurrences like this are few and far between. I invite you to call me so I can gather more details as to room number, dates of stay, as well your name since it is annonymous here. Please consider me your personal contact from this point forward. I hope to welcome you back to The Maritime Hotel.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have had to travel to NYC for work almost every month for several years. The maritime hotel is always my first choice. The accommodations are comfortable and the location is convenient.

What truly distinguishes it for me is the hotel staff. Informed, respectful and a joy to interact with. Steffie Tuan and Kimberly made feel so at home during my last stay I felt obligated to write my first hotel review ever.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Mhrneverthere-Thank you for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. It's a pleasure to welcome guests back and we love that The Maritime is always your first choice. It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. We appreciate the individual shot outs to Steffi and Kimberly and I'll be sure they see your review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance with anything. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Our first stay at the Maritime Hotel confirms the good reviews: great comfort, cosy atmosphere, caring staff, good and affordable restaurant for brekfast and dinner. We could not hear the party noises many complain about.
We would definitelu recommend this hotel and will provably

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas G
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thomas G- Thank you so much for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you so much for staying with us at The Maritime. It's a great source of inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your nice review with us. We are glad to here you found the hotel to be "nice,cosy, perfectly located" We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance with anything. All the best, Matt Moore - General Manager
U.S. expats
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Close to the High Line, across the street from the Chelsea Market, a long block from the subway, and convenient to West Village and Greenwich Village, this is a very good hotel in terms of location and value.

The rooms are small, but cozy. I stayed there with my husband and teenaged son, and on Booking.com they advertised a “superior Queen” room for three people. I was disappointed at check-in to find out that our room would have only one bed (as I was assured all the rooms had) and no sleeper sofa, or single.

However, the Maritime Hotel rose to the challenge and exceeded my expectations nicely—they made up a bed against the wall and under the port hole shaped window; my son even had a lamp above his head. They describe it as an “air mattress” but it feels much nicer—more like a memory foam mattress.

Our bed was very comfortable, and we slept very well. Built in shelves on either side of the bed serve as night stands and really make you feel that you are in a room on a ship. The small space (250 sf) is utilized very well.

There was plenty of room in the hall closets for all seven pieces of our luggage, (3 rollers, three carry on sized pieces, and one bag for the food we bought at the Chelsea Market) so we never felt cramped.

Our room was stuffy when we arrived--we called down after fiddling with the thermostat, and a staff member arrived within 10-15 minutes. He agreed there was a problem and fixed it by changing the settings for the floor. We were very comfortable after that.

The lobby is very cool, with a fireplace, books on a myriad of subjects, and in the bar, a pool table.

On the Maritime Hotel’s website, it says they have “complimentary bikes,” for guests. Inquiring about this, I was told there would be a $6 charge per bike. Well, that is a fair deal, but please, just say that.

Wi-fi was free and fast.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view (there won't be much) and a higher floor to avoid noise; the hotel also has...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LauraRW
Matt M, General Manager at The Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
LauraRW- Thank you for passing on your comments on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with us at The Maritime Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during your time in NYC. Thank you for pointing out a lot of the amenities we have to offer and the decor of the hotel. Regarding the bike program we think of it as a complimentary program because it does cost about $30dollars if not higher to rent a bicycle in New York City. The $6.00 charge is a service charge for our bellman. I will be looking into making sure this is explained thoroughly.

It's a great source of both inspiration and assistance to receive feedback from our guests and we do appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. Every member of our staff has the opportunity to read your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let us know if we can every be of assistance.