“Good but disappointing”

and up
New York City SoHo Photography Tour
Ranked #48 of 146 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Cinema devoted to screening independent movies in style.
New York City, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good but disappointing”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Angelika was disappointing for me. I've been to this cinema a handful of times but always during the day, so I'm not sure what the nighttime atmosphere is. The entry area is lovely with a nice cafe. The actual screens are what annoys me, as several of them are very long and thin. They also don't have any character to them, like say the Film Forum nearby or the Coolidge in Boston.

Visited July 2013

Charleston, South Carolina
603 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 569 helpful votes
“One of NYC's great movie house complexes”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

OK, to anyone who scoffs at my 5-star rating, I will say first off: if you're going to Angelika, you'll have the best chance of having a great movie experience if you accept the center's quirks: boxy theaters with seats that have seen better days, clientel who will literally push you aside to get a better seat in a screening (one of those not-so-great remnants of old nasty New York), over-priced snacks in the lovely lobby/snack bar, where most of the best seats are taken by people who aren't there to see movies but just want to hang out and eat scones and drink tea and be fabulous.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about what makes Angelika worth visiting. The lobby is extraordinary, and the collection of movies you will find at Angelika, all art-house and quirky, is always first-rate. And they tend to give movies long runs that are in and out of other theaters in a week or two - there have been so many times when I've said, "hmm, I wonder if x is still playing anywhere?" and I will discover that it is still showing at Angelika.

So if you want antiseptic bland pleasant movie-watching, stick to AMC 25 or some other Midtown multiplex. But if you're willing to put up with a little old-fashioned Downtown New York eccentricity to see a film you probably won't find anywhere else, go down to Mercer and Houston and stand in line on those steep steps for a ticket at Angelika.

Visited June 2012
Rochester, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Enjoyable matinee experience”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Looked for a place that was showing an Oscar movie nominee and our daughter recommended this theater. Definitely not the state-of-the-art place if you're looking for one. Modest size screen with rather muffled audio. However, the nostalgic charm of the old type theater made up for it. Price was reasonable for a matinee. Seating was fine - plenty of room for my knees (I'm 6'4") and comfortable enough, albeit a bit hard.

Visited February 2012
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Dirty and rundown”
Reviewed 4 July 2007

I went to see a film there today and when I sat down in the dark theater my pants were ripped from mid-thigh to the waist by the bare jagged metal posing as an armrest. The tear exposed my underwear and I was very embarrassed about having to walk outside on the street. I asked to speak to the manager who initially would only speak to me by
phone, very rudely. She never apologized and just kept saying there was nothing she could do. She refused to assist me in any way to cover myself and finally, after repeatedly being asked for help, agreed to my request for a stapler.

2 Thank Alfvaen