“Disappointed”

Mandarin Oriental, New York
Ranked #50 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 September 2008

I chose this hotel based on recommendations from this site. Either I'm just hard to please or I had really bad luck with this experience. I booked a wkd trip with my mom in a suite - we were in town to see an oncologist for my mom.

Having frequented many other hotels globally, luxury and otherwise, I was very disappointed. The door staff, who represent first and last impressions was terrible and didn't even come close to a mid-level hotel, let alone other 5-star hotels like a Four Seasons or a Ritz. On multiple occasions, they ignored us because they were too busy socializing with each other, doing blackberry(unbelievable!), or favoring other guests. We took many cabs and only once did we get assistance after we asked the doorman (this is after we tried hailing our own cab without any success right in front of him) - the doorman who was too busy doing his blackberry/phone and made us feel like we were rude for interrupting him. Doorman only held open door sometimes, seemed like only if he felt like it - it didn't matter if we had our luggage or not, it was very inconsistent.

After being promised checkin to our room 30 min after we arrived, we took a 2 hr lunch and were surprised when they said that our room still was not ready when we returned - yes we were a few hours early but don't tell us it will be ready earlier if it won't be! This was not the welcome we needed especially due to my mom's fatigue. At least they treated us to a drink in the bar - but still all my mom wanted to do was rest.

I was left on hold one night after asking concierge for some info - he forgot about me and I had to call back to get assistance from someone else. Upon leaving, we asked for an address and phone number to a Fifth Avenue store - the concierge gave us the wrong information (the address didn't exist and the number was for the corporate office, not the retail store). We ended up getting lost and I had to call my husband who was back home for navigation assistance - we ended up having to walk quite a distance to find the store (again, not good when my mother is ill) and had to rush our purchases before making it to the airport on time. If the conceirge could not find the info, he could have at least told us that rather than give us some bogus address on Fifth Avenue that did not even exist.

The hotel did try to compensate for some of the bad service by not charging us for any balance of our breakfasts that our package did not include. But even that wasn't communicated very well and different messages were communicated by different people. I liked that the spa amenities were included in the suite rate - the steam room was good. But I've been to nicer spas. Location is good. The room was nice and I loved the bedside reading books and supply of Fiji water. The view from Asiate was beautiful. I was surprised that a newspaper was not included and the spa certificate was pretty much useless.

I travel alot for business and have been to other hotels in NYC and I would not return to this hotel. This was my first Mandarin Oriental hotel stay - I had always preferred Peninsula for a luxury hotel with Asian flare. I didn't choose to stay there this time because their spa/gym was being renovated. Overall, I was extremely disappointed in this stay on many fronts. I could have stayed at the Sheraton and would have gotten better service!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
9  Thank WLWL

Reviewed 1 September 2008

Just few words to say and rate our great experience at the Mandarin Oriental New York. Have been there for a couple of nights at the end of July 2008. Booked a simply superior room with a main Hudson view. The room was not huge but very nice with a lot of useful tech advantages and features. The bed was very comfortable despite of some really soft pillows. Bathroom perfect in size and very nice. Service absolutely fantastic, very nice view also if it not was not a Central Park room view. Enjoy a wonderful breakast ( also if is the service it was a little bit too slow ) at the Asiate Resturant. Unfortunately did not use the Spa or other services. So , one if the not the best hotel in New York right now , also if it was expensive. I really like new and High Tech hotel and this Mandarin it was in my opinion a true perfect layout . Additional to this , check in and check out were perfect and very quick , as well room service . Bravo Mandarin !

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlackNote
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Last weekend, I proposed to my girlfriend and we stayed two nights at the Mandarin Oriental.

This is by far the best hotel we have stayed in New York. We received a complimentary upgrade and all the staff were absolutely perfect. I was considering other hotels where I have previously stayed including the Four Seasons, Waldorf Astoria, the Meridien, the Hudson or Alex and am absolutely delighted to have decided on the Mandarin Oriental. It is expensive but they do have special weekend offers and for such an occasion really lived up to expectations. I could not fault the hotel or staff in any way as it made this day very special. I think we will be coming back here for our important anniversaries. Absolutely worth spending a bit more to stay in a very special place with magnificient views and bedrooms, complete peace of mind in a relaxing setting and get what is probably the best service in New York.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GACC
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Mandarin Oriental NYC is a fantastic hotel. We stayed in an executive suite facing the Hudson river (view from the living room) but we still had a view of Central Park from the Bedroom/Bathroom.

The suite has a tremendous woaw factor, this is the best city suite we ever tried, even if not the biggest. However please note that service is not at the same level as it is at Oriental Bangkok (flagship of MO group). Small details have to be improved (butter was missing at breakfast once, trash can was not emptied every time at night service). Fortunately these small issues did not tarnish our experience.

We used the Concierge services many times:
- magical private helicopter ride booked through him with Helicopter Flight Services, Inc.,
- reservation of one of the best table at Del Frisco's Steakhouse on 6th avenue,
- transfer with limousine from/to the airport (205 USD from JFK and 180 USD to JFK => nice and helpful chauffeurs knowing the city to avoid traffic),
- etc.

We also tried the swimming pool & the Spa (on 36th floor). Therapists were smiling, very professional. Use of the VIP Spa suite is delightful. It allows you to enjoy time in your private steam and bath, finishing with a light dinner. You feel completely taken away from the city bustle.

Regarding the location everything has already been said. You have direct access to the shops at Columbus Circle (with Whole Foods Market at the basement where you can have lunch/dinner at a fair price until 11pm). Many subway lines stop at Columbus. AMC Loews Cinema with IMAX is 15 minutes away (by walking), just like boutiques on 5th avenue and Times Square.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cedric&Pierre
Reviewed 3 August 2008

OK, so how is this hotel the 45th best hotel in NYC? You can argue over what is #1 and the Mandarin Oriental will always be in that conversation.

The staff is impecable and attentive. I had lost some luggage on the flight from LAX and the concierge made sure American had it and got it to me promptly, I didn't need to do a thing.

My room had an amazing view of Central Park and the meal at Asiate is as good as I have had in NY. YES, the property is pricey, but what in Manhattan isn't?

For a business trip, especially on business with Time Warner, this place is hard to beat.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank scottca075
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Just stayed at the Manadarin this past weekend. We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary and the staff at the hotel created an exceptional expericance. From the moment we were greeted by the doorman to the moment he said goodbye on our last day, we were catered to as royalty. The staff was pleasent. caring and very accomadating. the location is the best in Manhattan, the hotel was beautifull. Very well organized , situated and very classy. The rooms were fabulous, we stayed in the Hudson River View room,, everything from bathroom, bedding to view was perfect, just like images on theweb site. The Lobby Bar was a great relaxing spot after our dinner & theatre evening.
All staff were excellent and the class & service was the tops.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sanremo123
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I've stayed at many luxury hotels both in NYC and around the world including the luxury masterpiece "Burj Al Arab" in Dubai.

The Mandarin Oriental is superb. Above and beyond style and accessibility, the most important factor in considering the rating of a property is SERVICE.

The service at the Mandarin is Superb. One of the best only rivaled by my time spent at the Four Seasons.

If you're going to NYC, do NYC right, and stay at the Mandarin, where your every whim is addressed and you can focus on only your task at hand whether it be pure pleasure or business.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple