I chose this hotel based on recommendations from this site. Either I'm just hard to please or I had really bad luck with this experience. I booked a wkd trip with my mom in a suite - we were in town to see an oncologist for my mom.
Having frequented many other hotels globally, luxury and otherwise, I was very disappointed. The door staff, who represent first and last impressions was terrible and didn't even come close to a mid-level hotel, let alone other 5-star hotels like a Four Seasons or a Ritz. On multiple occasions, they ignored us because they were too busy socializing with each other, doing blackberry(unbelievable!), or favoring other guests. We took many cabs and only once did we get assistance after we asked the doorman (this is after we tried hailing our own cab without any success right in front of him) - the doorman who was too busy doing his blackberry/phone and made us feel like we were rude for interrupting him. Doorman only held open door sometimes, seemed like only if he felt like it - it didn't matter if we had our luggage or not, it was very inconsistent.
After being promised checkin to our room 30 min after we arrived, we took a 2 hr lunch and were surprised when they said that our room still was not ready when we returned - yes we were a few hours early but don't tell us it will be ready earlier if it won't be! This was not the welcome we needed especially due to my mom's fatigue. At least they treated us to a drink in the bar - but still all my mom wanted to do was rest.
I was left on hold one night after asking concierge for some info - he forgot about me and I had to call back to get assistance from someone else. Upon leaving, we asked for an address and phone number to a Fifth Avenue store - the concierge gave us the wrong information (the address didn't exist and the number was for the corporate office, not the retail store). We ended up getting lost and I had to call my husband who was back home for navigation assistance - we ended up having to walk quite a distance to find the store (again, not good when my mother is ill) and had to rush our purchases before making it to the airport on time. If the conceirge could not find the info, he could have at least told us that rather than give us some bogus address on Fifth Avenue that did not even exist.
The hotel did try to compensate for some of the bad service by not charging us for any balance of our breakfasts that our package did not include. But even that wasn't communicated very well and different messages were communicated by different people. I liked that the spa amenities were included in the suite rate - the steam room was good. But I've been to nicer spas. Location is good. The room was nice and I loved the bedside reading books and supply of Fiji water. The view from Asiate was beautiful. I was surprised that a newspaper was not included and the spa certificate was pretty much useless.
I travel alot for business and have been to other hotels in NYC and I would not return to this hotel. This was my first Mandarin Oriental hotel stay - I had always preferred Peninsula for a luxury hotel with Asian flare. I didn't choose to stay there this time because their spa/gym was being renovated. Overall, I was extremely disappointed in this stay on many fronts. I could have stayed at the Sheraton and would have gotten better service!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A stunning fusion of modern design with stylish Oriental flair, Mandarin Oriental, New York features 244 elegant guestrooms and suites - all with breathtaking views of Manhattan and Five-Star hospitality. Luxurious amenities include Asiate, the hotel's elegant restaurant; the Lobby Lounge with dramatic views of Central Park; a 14,500-square-foot, Five-Star Mandarin Oriental Spa; and a state-of-the-art fitness center with a 75-foot lap pool. In addition, there is premium meeting and event space, including a 6,000-square-foot pillar-less ballroom with three walls of windows overlooking Central Park. Located in Columbus Circle's Time Warner Center, Mandarin Oriental, New York is in an idyllic location just steps away from world-class dining, shopping and entertainment, including the Broadway Theater District, Lincoln Center, Central Park, Jazz at Lincoln Center and the Time Warner Center's collection of upscale retail shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Mandarin Oriental, Agoda, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, New York Hotel New York City
- Mandarin Oriental New York City
- Mandarin New York City
- New York City Mandarin Oriental