“Simply the Best in the city”

Mandarin Oriental, New York
Ranked #50 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 September 2008

This is first review that I have written for any of the hotels in the city. As I wonder why I haven't, the only answer I can come up with is that none of the other "houses" excited me enough to spend the time writing about it. These include the Marquis, Waldorf, Michelangelo and the Trump. All of them "ok" but there was always something not quite right.
The Mandarin is epitome of luxury. The staff, the rooms, you name it; I have nothing but positive comments.
We booked the premier park view suite and were very happy with its size and view (there was some obstruction from the Trump next door, but hey, its New York City). We also, booked the Spa VIP Suite on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Oh my God! If you have a couple of grand in your pocket and would like to spoil your partner, this is the way!
Every night when we left the hotel for dinner the hotel car was available (although I realize this was just luck with the timing). We will stay here on the next trip and probably will try some of the other Mandarin properties.
Ok, one negative! The bar was closed when we came back to the hotel at 12:15 after dinner. However, that was a nightcap that I really did not need anyway!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lvnluxury

Reviewed 30 September 2008

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental New York for five nights. Yes, it's a pretty hotel with a nice location. The spa is good but terribly expensive. I was disappointed with the service. Every morning room service got my breakfast order wrong. And it was a new mistake every morning. Quite annoying having to wait for them to get the order right - every day! At least they got my dinners right. Several times when I called housekeeping to ask for something to be delivered or done in the room, they forget or made a mistake and brought the wrong things. On several occasions the concierge forgot to call me back or to find out things for me. They also provided me with addresses to several shops, but did not provide a map, or the side street, or the opening hours. And I had to help them find out several things which should have been easy. All in all, the hotel does not provide the type of service one would and should expect from a five-star and very expensive hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Stayed 1 night at the mandarin oriental in a Central Park view room. Was really looking forward to this stay as it was the most expensive hotel room we've ever stayed in ($1279 per night), so expectations were high. Prior to staying at the MO we had already stayed 6 nights in NYC in a mid priced hotel around the corner so this was our treat. To be honest I was a bit dissapointed. Yes the room was overlooking central park but a good proportion of the view was obliterated by the Trump tower which has been built right in front of the Times Warner centre (where the MO is housed on the top floors). We had also already seen the view of Central Park from the Top of the Rock so had already 'spoiled' it for ourselves - probably should have booked the room for our first and not last night in NYC.
Room was nicely furnished but did not surpass any other 5 star property where you pay much less for a room. TV was infuriatingly difficult to operate if you wanted to browse the 100 or so channels. Breakfast at Asiate was divine - great service & food and highly recommended. Check in service helpful, efficient & friendly and as professional as you would expect for a hotel of this calibre. Hotel was more suited to business people not so much tourists and didn't have much of a holiday atmosphere. Did not use the spa or pool/fitness centre. Great shops & dining options in the Time Warner building.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2008

Stayed here for New Years and had an amazingly romantic stay. Booked a room with a tub with view of city. I am not into taking baths but with that view and room service of some champagne and chocolate covered strawberries was worth it. The pool room is nothing exciting but the spa is def worth visiting. I had the massage which was ok but the best part of the spa experience was steam room and lounge which has amazing views of the park and city. The bed was soooo comfortable. Of course the rooms are on the smaller side but thats what you get for nyc. But even though the room was small it had everything you would need from a top hotel. If you are visiting nyc the location is great especially during the holidays. The hotel restaurants and bar are worth going to as well.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NSL76
Reviewed 6 September 2008

I chose this hotel based on recommendations from this site. Either I'm just hard to please or I had really bad luck with this experience. I booked a wkd trip with my mom in a suite - we were in town to see an oncologist for my mom.

Having frequented many other hotels globally, luxury and otherwise, I was very disappointed. The door staff, who represent first and last impressions was terrible and didn't even come close to a mid-level hotel, let alone other 5-star hotels like a Four Seasons or a Ritz. On multiple occasions, they ignored us because they were too busy socializing with each other, doing blackberry(unbelievable!), or favoring other guests. We took many cabs and only once did we get assistance after we asked the doorman (this is after we tried hailing our own cab without any success right in front of him) - the doorman who was too busy doing his blackberry/phone and made us feel like we were rude for interrupting him. Doorman only held open door sometimes, seemed like only if he felt like it - it didn't matter if we had our luggage or not, it was very inconsistent.

After being promised checkin to our room 30 min after we arrived, we took a 2 hr lunch and were surprised when they said that our room still was not ready when we returned - yes we were a few hours early but don't tell us it will be ready earlier if it won't be! This was not the welcome we needed especially due to my mom's fatigue. At least they treated us to a drink in the bar - but still all my mom wanted to do was rest.

I was left on hold one night after asking concierge for some info - he forgot about me and I had to call back to get assistance from someone else. Upon leaving, we asked for an address and phone number to a Fifth Avenue store - the concierge gave us the wrong information (the address didn't exist and the number was for the corporate office, not the retail store). We ended up getting lost and I had to call my husband who was back home for navigation assistance - we ended up having to walk quite a distance to find the store (again, not good when my mother is ill) and had to rush our purchases before making it to the airport on time. If the conceirge could not find the info, he could have at least told us that rather than give us some bogus address on Fifth Avenue that did not even exist.

The hotel did try to compensate for some of the bad service by not charging us for any balance of our breakfasts that our package did not include. But even that wasn't communicated very well and different messages were communicated by different people. I liked that the spa amenities were included in the suite rate - the steam room was good. But I've been to nicer spas. Location is good. The room was nice and I loved the bedside reading books and supply of Fiji water. The view from Asiate was beautiful. I was surprised that a newspaper was not included and the spa certificate was pretty much useless.

I travel alot for business and have been to other hotels in NYC and I would not return to this hotel. This was my first Mandarin Oriental hotel stay - I had always preferred Peninsula for a luxury hotel with Asian flare. I didn't choose to stay there this time because their spa/gym was being renovated. Overall, I was extremely disappointed in this stay on many fronts. I could have stayed at the Sheraton and would have gotten better service!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
9  Thank WLWL
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Just few words to say and rate our great experience at the Mandarin Oriental New York. Have been there for a couple of nights at the end of July 2008. Booked a simply superior room with a main Hudson view. The room was not huge but very nice with a lot of useful tech advantages and features. The bed was very comfortable despite of some really soft pillows. Bathroom perfect in size and very nice. Service absolutely fantastic, very nice view also if it not was not a Central Park room view. Enjoy a wonderful breakast ( also if is the service it was a little bit too slow ) at the Asiate Resturant. Unfortunately did not use the Spa or other services. So , one if the not the best hotel in New York right now , also if it was expensive. I really like new and High Tech hotel and this Mandarin it was in my opinion a true perfect layout . Additional to this , check in and check out were perfect and very quick , as well room service . Bravo Mandarin !

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlackNote
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Last weekend, I proposed to my girlfriend and we stayed two nights at the Mandarin Oriental.

This is by far the best hotel we have stayed in New York. We received a complimentary upgrade and all the staff were absolutely perfect. I was considering other hotels where I have previously stayed including the Four Seasons, Waldorf Astoria, the Meridien, the Hudson or Alex and am absolutely delighted to have decided on the Mandarin Oriental. It is expensive but they do have special weekend offers and for such an occasion really lived up to expectations. I could not fault the hotel or staff in any way as it made this day very special. I think we will be coming back here for our important anniversaries. Absolutely worth spending a bit more to stay in a very special place with magnificient views and bedrooms, complete peace of mind in a relaxing setting and get what is probably the best service in New York.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple