“Unexpected Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #317 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Alexandria, Virginia
“Unexpected Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have stayed in many hotels in NYC - from upper to lower Manhattan. I am a bit snob when it comes to my NY hotel stay and I was scared at what to expect of this hotel. However, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with their rooms. The location was great. You have your pick of where to go. Stay in Chelsea, plenty to do - walk down to village or walk uptown to midtown or central park. Can't get better than that. The rooms, although small (not surprising) they were extremely well maintained, comfortable beds and courteous service. Their exterior does not do them credit. I would have cringed if I had just walked by it. But it is a nice stay, they have a bar inside and out. Good food. And for those who drive, they provide a local parking discount. I would stay here again. But..always a but - there prices are too high. At their rate, I can stay in a more mainline hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure that it is near all the 'FUN' stuff. This place is definitely that.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review Marta D. It's great to hear we were able to not only meet but exceed your expectations. I will make sure to share your feedback with the staff. They will greatly appreciate it. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel has good views, at least if you get the highest floors faccing the uptown, if not book another hotel. The room is ok, new furniture and a comfy bed but the floor has a carpet and the door against the hallway has a 2 cm opening under the door. If you lay down you could see what happens in the area outside the room. There may also be BEDBUGS there as many other hotels on Manhattan. Thats a NO NO for me, and im never comeing back here. Its loud, you can hear other people in other rooms when they are talking. On the plusside they have a bar, beer house near the reception. No breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you STOELSVIK for your review. This is the first time we are hearing of this complaint. If you could please contact us at 212-627-1888, so that we can further discuss. Thank you.
Picton, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Although they had overbooked their double rooms, for which we had prepaid, they took care of us well by providing us two rooms, which worked out perfect! Rooms were very clean and our floor only had 8 rooms making it quiet. Our views north and south (including Empire State building) from the two rooms, respectively (19th floor) were a bonus. Unfortunately, the hotel only has one icemaker (on basement floor), no pool (although found few with pool when searching hotel booking sites), and no Starwood Preferred Guest Lounge. Overall, we (family of five) very much enjoyed our stay for three nights, found several subway stations within easy walking distance and some good grocery shops in the area for breakfast/lunch stuff. The staff members were helpful, pleasant, and accommodating, including providing us with late check-out for one room. We would definitely stay here again if I could again find a fare rate (when compared with other similar level hotels in Midtown/Chelsea).

Room Tip: If on high enough floor (eg. 19th) you can have great views of Empire State Building (if on N side...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you jimmy1234567 four your review. I'm happy to hear we were able to take a situation and make it even better for your family. We cant wait to have you stay with us again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were leery of Manhattan hotels, knowing NYC's reputation for minuscule rooms and very high prices; we also weren't familiar with the Four Points brand at all. But we found the location to be very convenient (especially the 30-second walk to a massive and incredibly stocked Whole Foods Market--saving a ton on eating out in the city) and close to a subway as well.

Customer service was excellent. Before the trip, I e-mailed with a question and got a very swift and detailed reply, and the manager offered to do a kind of advance check-in to ensure our room was ready because we were coming into the city very late, at 1 a.m. Then, the next morning, I found that the carpet in one area of the room, between the two beds, was wet (not smelly, nothing visible, but wet from what seemed to be water) and the staff took care of it quickly--even took down my cell number to call me during our day out and let me know when it was taken care of. Cindy did phone me to report when it was dried, and additionally we found a handwritten note from staff in the room to say when the cleaning/drying took place! We felt that the staff was attentive--before we were even in NYC, at the front desk, and when we had the carpet issue. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you 939MelR for such a great review. We truly try our best to make each and everyone of guests stay memorable and to hear we gained another loyal guest is amazing! I will make sure to share this review with the staff and give Cindy a special shout out. Please come see us again soon!
usa
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I'm staying here now and have been here for a couple of nights. I'm a fan of Four Points/Starwood and have may good things to say about the hotel minus, one big one.

The wifi here is abysmal. I've truly had better in third world countries. Calling their tech line, as well as trying other floors and the lobby has not speeded anything up. If you're here for pleasure and only need wifi for a few minutes a day, it will suit you. If you're at all tech or here for business, it's a complete disaster. Google homepage alone can take 10-15 seconds to load, anything steaming can take minutes just to load the page, forget downloading anything. I'm not being far-fetched when i say that work I could have done in 30 minutes is taking hours. There is an ethernet connection but that does not work from my 2013 Macbook Air or other wireless devices. I'm staying here for a total of 6 nights and have been weighing the options of moving hotels, I think I will have to tomorrow as I am working remotely. The people here have been sweet about it but seem to know it's something they can't remedy. My next trip won't be here, as the speed and connection is just unforgivable in 2014. If this sounds histrionic, just try spending the 15 minutes it takes to clear the pages to write a review on this site.

That said, everything else here is a homer. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, the walls are thick, the staff is very friendly and the whole hotel has a jovial atmosphere. It's the kind of hotel where other guests are mingling with others at happy hour. The location is just plain amazing, away from the craziness of manhattan but just close enough.

Shame.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback idolltraveller. I'm sorry our internet was not as fast as you would like it to be. Although we updated our network only 1 year ago….the proliferation of new devices makes it necessary for us to stay ahead of this again. Thank you for highlighting our staff and hotel. We hope with a upgrade we will see you again soon.
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My family stayed at the four points on a quick trip to NYC. The beds were amazing!! So comfortable. They did have down comforters and pillows (which my son and husband are allergic to--but we didn't ask if others were available). The rooms were very small, but probably comparable to other NYC properties. Everything was super clean!! Very modern looking room, nice front desk clerk, convenient to a major subway line. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Amy S
Lee B, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. We can't wait to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I am a fastidious traveler and a Starwood platinum, Hilton Gold and IHG gold member. Based on horrible experiences with other Four Points, I refuse to enter another Four Points hotel.

EXCEPT this one..

This one is amazing. The staff, service- everything is comfortably handled and a god-send for the weary stressed out guest. This property feels like a home away from home. They are the only property amongst the Holiday Inn 26th Street, Holiday Inn 35th Street, and the Hotel Indigo Chelsea to get things right. Pls see my other reviews.

For a great hotel in Chelsea that is reasonably priced relative to other NYC hotels, I give this one two thumbs up.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank artichoke78
Thank you artichoke78 for such a great review. It's great to know that we are doing things right and making your stays with us memorable. Thank you for your continued loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again soon!