Wyndham Midtown 45
Ranked #284 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 July 2014

You can do MUCH better for the same price in the same location.

On the surface, it looked like a modern hotel. Upon closer inspection, it looks like a very cheap remodel was done recently and has already exceeded it's life expectancy. The front desk staff was not attentive, and the "reception" area was cramped and tiny. We checked in and went up to our room. I opened the curtains to see the view out the window and discovered that the window was covered in greasy hand/forehead prints. I started looking around...the fabric headboard was stained. The built-in wall of cabinets that serves as a desk, closet and TV unit were rickety. One of the doors was hanging off only it's top hinge. The speaker covers to the stereo were off and propped against the speaker. Every surface that one regularly has to touch in a room (towel bars, phones, light switches) were dirty. The towel holder in the bathroom came apart in my hand as I was hanging up a hand towel. Even the toilet seat was dirty.

We went to the front desk and asked to be switched to a different room. None was available, so they sent the engineer to fix the cabinets and the cleaning staff to re-clean the room. The engineer all but admitted that this furniture was not built to last and ended up having to remove 3 of the closet doors for safety. The cleaning woman mopped the tile entry floor (which made it sticky) and didn't clean anything else in the room. I picked up Lysol wipes at the drug store next door and started cleaning myself. The amount of filth picked up on those wipes skeeved me out to the degree that we switched hotels. We ended up about a block away, paying the same rate and in a much cleaner and friendlier hotel with a lovely lobby.

We travel frequently and I'm not a germophobe by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not talking about a bit of dust showing up on a white glove test...there was visible filth that the hotel staff were not interested in addressing. Even the central location is not enough to recommend this hotel considering all the other options in the area and price range.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sara B
Michael M, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

I am so sorry you had to spend even a minute of your stay dealing with cleanliness issues. I know there is a certain level of satisfaction expected when staying at our properties and you did not receive this. Please rest assured I will have our housekeeping staff address these concerns moving forward to avoid any future occurrences of this nature. Thank you for making us aware.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We got a 1 room suite - which meant we had a small kitchen area. We wanted something a bit larger and we wanted to be higher up. The hotel is very clean, organized, and the service was nice. We checked in early, but our room was not ready yet. No problem, we dropped off our bags and walked right next door to The Perfect Pint to have a pint or two. Our room was spacious enough, clean, and had a stove, microwave, and regular size fridge and freezer (not the mini ones). It was well decorated and was enought room for my wife and I. Our view was not great, but what can you do, luckof the draw on that. If you want a great view - go to the 33rd floor where they have a large balcony patio...what a great view. We were there a few times (by ourselves - we were shocked at how nobody was up there) to see both evening and afternoon views. Great place for pictures and a great shot of the Empire State Building. Everything is within walking distance - we walked downtown to China Town and Little Italy, we walked to the Theatre, we walked uptown to Central Park. We could have taken the subway, too, Grand Central is just a few blocks away, but we wanted to see as much as we could. There are three parking lots on the street, so if you want to save money on parking, get a coupon (Google - NYC Parking Coupons) for a spot on the same street and walk 1/2 block tops to the hotel. It saved us a ton of money. We have no complaints about this room or hotel that we experienced. We would stay here again for sure. I guess there are two quick "compaints" just as an FYI...1- a coffee maker would be nice...or at least free coffee in the lobby. Coffee is important to us, and to have to get fully dressed to walk a block or two - in order to get a coffee - and then walk a block or two back (if you just want a cup or two before you get going for the day) to the hotel...just a bit of a hassle. Also, the bed is a bit short. If you are taller than 6' your feet may hang off the end a bit. I am 5' 11 and I barely fit, If those are my only complaints - then it was a great vacation, huh?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bayouscrubs13
Michael M, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your kind feedback. Next time you stay with us, just give a call to our front desk & we will be more than happy to have a coffee maker sent right up! I am happy to hear that you had a great vacation. Once again, thank you for choosing the Wyndham Midtown 45.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The service was exceptional, the room was clean, loved the decor, great comfort for a good night sleep. I was very pleased with location, walking distance to Empire State Building, Union Station to name a few. I can't say that there was anything I didn't like.. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
1  Thank Billie N

Thank you, Billie for the kind words. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

It's midtown Manhattan. The prices are very fair, even better sometimes. Twice here our rooms have been clean, large and furnished with clever, sophisticated built-ins. There are nice old-timey service flourishes that remind one that this is NYC, not Podunk. (No ice machines, room service brings it to your door in seconds after you call. Best kick in town for a dollar.) So, on top of all this, you get smiling and helpful, attitude-free people at the front desk. This hotel, near Grand Central Terminal, is partnered with the New Yorker on Eighth Avenue near Penn Station. So, between the two, I'm fixed for Manhattan hotels for the foreseeable future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you, Mark for the kind words. I will be sharing this with our staff. I am glad that you enjoyed your room & got the full New York experience!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I arrived into what looked like a shabby mini-cab office rather than a hotel reception and was proudly told I had been upgraded to a beautiful suite. When I got to the rooms I found it was a shabby apartment with such a dirty bathroom I had to ask for my room to be changed immediately!

The next apartment was fine in size but of so shabby and looked as though it had not had a good clean in weeks. The bedside lamp didn't work either. Food in the restaurant was dreadful- cheap salad with stale bread fro $13!

This can't lay claim to calling itself a hotel- really appalling is all I can say!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mrs-Stringer

I am disappointed to hear our services and amenities did not meet your expectations. I know that when you are staying with us one of the perks is to be able to enjoy your room. We value your feedback, as it gives us guidance on what to provide our guests during their stay. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 9 nights from 4th June 2014. Neat hotel. did a bit of walking but didn't worry us as we saved a few hundred staying just out of times square. Staff were pleasant. Room had what you needed. There was a star bucks just down the road and the location was ok really. Room was a bit noisy as street noise did travel a bit but we slept fine. Free wi-fi with room but didn't work well. You had to go down to the lobby to get reception.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Terrence J, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Midtown 45, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you Angela for taking your time in reviewing your stay with us this past June. We are happy to hear that our location was convenient for you & your husband. We are sorry to hear that your internet needs were not met. As you know we have many properties which house a large amount of guests and their wireless devices. We are working to improve this feature. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We value your feedback as this helps us to improve in many ways.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel as a timeshare exchange, we are Wyndham owners. This was our first time to NYC and I thought the location was excellent for being able to see all the big things you want to see in NYC when visiting for the first time. Grand Central Terminal only a few blocks away.
Check-in was smooth. We got there a little early and the room was already ready. We had a studio one bedroom and it looked clean and modern. We were on the 18th floor, so we experienced no noise from the street below. We had a great view of the Chrysler building and the City which was really nice.
I was surprised that the room had a couch, and a lot of kitchen amenities (toaster, coffee maker, small refrigerator, dishwasher, glasses/silverware, etc.) I was not expecting that from a studio.
We did not receive daily maid service, probably due to going through the timeshare. They also did not replace the towels daily, but we found some in a storage room and just replaced them ourselves.
We also had problems figuring out how to get the shower to work. You just have to pull the knob really, really hard. We called the front desk and someone was sent up immediately and got it working. We had no trouble after that. It has been mentioned several times in the reviews here though--maybe management should think about putting a sign up or alerting guests to this issue? The shower was very nice though, once we got figured out how to use it. A nice rain shower.
We did not have to face the dreaded timeshare talk because the person that does the welcome for Wyndham owners was not at the desk when we checked in. We did receive a follow up call, but said we were busy and we were never called again.
We tried out the Perfect Pint bar right next door and had a good experience having drinks and appetizers over there.
We also did have an issue with the ice maker sometimes working and sometimes not working. And, the day we checked out, we awoke to having water all over the carpet. I have no idea where it came from--it must have been from the air conditioning unit. Not a big deal, since we were checking out. I alerted the front desk though, and they seemed to be concerned and took action to look into it right away.
Overall, I'm just really happy that Wyndham is expanding their timeshare locations to include cities like NYC. I was satisfied with our stay and would stay at this hotel/timeshare again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vegabay

Thank you, for the kind words. We will share these with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you had a seamless early check-in. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.