“We loved it. Great service, Great location & Fun.”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #218 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I was a little worried about the quality of the people at the hotel after reading some of the reviews, but am glad I decided to stay here anyway. My 2 girlfriends and I went there to celebrate a friends bachelorette, and we had a blast. The concierge was quick and helpful with booking all the great restaurants for us before we arrived. I was able to check in at 830am which was amazing since I just flew in on a red eye and able to get some sleep before my friends arrived. When I went to the room and saw there was construction right outside, I called down to frontdesk and they apologized saying it had just started yesterday and weren't sure which rooms were affected and moved me to another room on the other side of the hotel right away. Most of all, the location is amazing. Great shopping, restaurants, and nightlife in the area. We also had fun at the rooftop pool and club. Sure there were some greasy people there, but it was a good mix of different people and certainly a fun crowd. I also liked that they were really strict about only letting hotel guests by the pool, so it wasn't hard for guests to find a seat. I would definitely go back again and recommend to anyone looking for a fun time in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Thanks for writing us such a glowing review! We are so happy we were able to be part of such a special occasion, but more importantly that you had a great time celebrating! We will pass on all your kind words to the concierge and team and we hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,855)

Reviewed 11 July 2011

The hotel itself was clean. The rooms were a nice size and the bed was very comfortable. The subway is only a few minutes walk. The front staff was excellent. However, the security left a lot to be desired. I was required to show my room key every time I arrived/departed the hotel to ensure that I was a guest. (Despite it being the same guy all 3 nights. We had met.) There isn't a ton to do or eat in the area. Some local diners and off-beat food choices. The rooftop bar is pretty cool and the gym was a nice touch.

The hotel caters to luxury...and it reflects in the price. Honestly, I would pay $100 less to stay in a more conveniently situated hotel closer to the tourist spots. Don't get me wrong, the hotel itself was fine. I just don't see where the value is.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel even though the meatpacking district didn’t seem to fulfill your needs. We have another property called Gansevoort Park which is located on Park Ave. & 29th street. This location is closer to various tourist attractions and we would love to accommodate you on your next visit to NYC. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2011

There is no service here. Everyone is rude from the doorman to the management.I am a physician and they treated my friends and I like we were not worthy to stay there. We had nothing but problems. It was 90 degrees in New York and the room temp was 77 degrees during the day and 75 at night- they sent maintenance 3 times with no relief. Then the manager came and said "I'm wearing a suit and I'm comfortable." SO they gave me cheap K Mart fan than died in an hour and it took 6.5 hours to get another fan. It always took over an hour to get ice (you can't get it yourself). The hairdryer didn't work. We ordered room service which was $104 for 2 people with no alcohol, and they burnt my steak to a crisp! We ran out of toilet paper- what hotel doesn't lwave a second roll? The towels weren't replenished. We stayed on 4th of July to see the fireworks on the roof which is free to hotel guests, but since we didn't pay $500 for a table, we were treated like crap, and had to stand behind the ropes, so it was less than acceptable. We tried to go to the bar Provocateur- $2000 cover charge- seriously? Free WiFi- could never connect to it. This place is horrible. I hope this place burns down. I won't stay there if it is free.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank DRLUCY1
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Maybe I'm getting older but the Gansevoort has lost some of its shine since our last visit. At weekends the roof top bar areas are a scrum, as NYC's 20-30 somethings arrive in their droves, leaving little or no space for guests. If you manage to get a seat the price of a drink will soon have you leaving the building to discover cheaper and more friendly watering holes in the Meatpacking District.The service at this rooftop bar is rushed and unfriendly. If you do have more money than sense, and it is in a fantastic location, ensure you get a room high up - we were on the 10th Floor - with a Hudson River view. Amazing for sunsets.The rooms are very comfortable but not grand. The beds, solid and relaxing. The doormen were the most helpful of all the staff.

Room Tip: Hudson River view 10th Floor
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MJMSurrey
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The Gansevoort has a small bar inside and a great patio for people watching. Coffee in the morning was perfect! Tanuki Tavern is a roof top, get there relatively early as by later in the evening, the line up is out the front door. Might be different for guests. Pricey drinks but a very unique atmosphere.
The meatpacking district is a great place to stay, lots of activity close, handy to the train and an inexpensive cab ride if you want to go to the theatre or financial district. Also a very interesting walk to the Village or the Theatre.
Busy area for night life in the hotel and nearby properties.
Check out the High Line, a former railway now an above ground walkway through Chelsea area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review! Looks like you got to do a lot and really enjoy everything about the hotel and meatpacking district! Please come join us again soon whether on business of for pleasure!

Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel is awesome. It is in an unreal location and has a few fun bars/restaurants in it. Only issue is that the bar up on the roof uses the same elevators as hotel guests - this is a bad call, and something the Standard Hotel got right. This can lead to late-night elevator issues and noise. Rooftop pool is incredible and makes up for the lack of private elevator.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank dhmills
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We asked for a Grand Deluxe King Room and even talked about which ones were the best. We were given room 1106. Unfortunately it had a connecting door and paper thin walls! We could hear our neighbors every day for 3 days. When we were woken up at 4 am we asked to change rooms. Luckily, we were accommodated.but we will not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011