“Cool place”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #212 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here as part of a trip I won from a television network. I was unfamiliar with the Meatpacking District, but I loved that I have discovered it now!

This property is very hip, and I'm really not, but that said, I didn't feel uncomfortable in the least. Check in went mostly smoothly, although I've never been a guest at a hotel where there was a third-party payer. There was a bit of confusion at the front desk and the host called the travel arranger and all was straightened out.

The room was on the front side of the hotel, just across the street from Pastis, a really great place to eat. We had a room with 2 queens which is what I had requested since we were two friends traveling together. The hotel's "signature" color is purple, so there was a lot of that. I found the reading lights by the bed to be rather inefficient, but then again, I have middle-aged eyes and this is a funky place. The bed was comfy with lots of pillows. There was an in-room safe. The closet was spacious, with plenty of hangers for 2 women's clothes. They provided complimentary slippers. We got turn-down service only one night (out of three), so I don't know what's up with that. The room seemed clean and well cared-for.

The bathroom was perfect for 2 women. We had LOTS of stuff - products, hair supplies, etc etc. A large vanity area held a lot, and there were 2 spacious drawers for the electrical equipment (dryers, curlers, etc). The water pressure in the shower was great.

I always travel with a small power strip, and I'm glad I had it, because there weren't nearly enough outlets, nor were they conveniently placed. The only mirror in the room was a full sized one on the wall, right next to a bed. There was no way to see a full length reflection and there was no place other than the bathroom to have a mirror to put on make up, not convenient when you have 2 women trying to get ready at the same time.

The concierge was very helpful in procuring some show tickets and restaurant reservations (and cancelling one for us). There is a VERY popular rooftop bar which we only visited one afternoon, and we didn't even get a drink. When we came back to the hotel at night, there was always a line up of people to get in the hotel to go up to the bar. We were able to go to a separate door and get right in by showing a key. I wish there had been a separate elevator for the bar, as once you're on the elevator, you can stop at any floor, which is a little concerning, safety-wise. That said, there was always a big guy by the elevators, and it was nice that only guests are allowed to hang out in the smallish lobby bar area.

This is a great part of town that I'd like to explore more and I'd stay here, even on my own dime.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,878)

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I enjoyed my stay. I loved the modern feel of the room and bathroom. I actually still use the complimentary bath products to this day. After we checked in, we went out for the day and returned in the late afternoon. We came back to a turned down bed, a cd in our cd player and even our wine had been put on ice. In the evening, we grabbed a couple drinks at the rooftop bar. The only negative thing I have to say is that one of the waitresses asked us to give up our table for a larger party. We had just gotten engaged so the thought of having to give up our very special moment for some drunkards was not appealing to me. So like I said, I would only stay again if they never ask me to move for someone else. First come, first served should be their new motto.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This hotel is in a great location and the rooms are a fair size. It's great to be able to skip the queue for the rooftop bar. However, although the very small rooftop pool is meant to be for guests only, on both days we were there local members of the public were allowed in - not good when beds are so limited. Also the lift to th rooftop bar doesn't go direct so non guests have access to the room corridors. I wouldn't have felt safe if I was alone

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Travel1UnitedKingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Living in the suburbs of NY I chose the Gansevoort for a girl's reunion weekend. Friends flew in from around the country for this very special and rare gathering and I wanted a fabulous hotel. Our stay was a complete disappointment from check-in until the very end. While mgmt. did make efforts to make up for the miserable experience (sent champagne to room and took money off of our bill) that did not change the fact that the service was completely sub-par. Some examples of the issues we experienced:

-tried to check us into the "smoking floor" and then took 2 hours to get us into another room when I insisted we have non-smoking
-had to call multiple times for ice delivery to room (never came on first call)
-had to call multiple times for engineer to investigate AC (the room was 78 degrees at its coolest- granted hottest wkd in history of NYC)- engineer said he would bring fan and never did
-they were out of towels for upstairs pool. Not a huge miss because while we waited for towels I read online that their pool is rated one of the filthiest in Manhattan.
-door man literally shoved me out of the door way when coming in that night, very rude

It almost seemed as if their brand is centered around their trendy reputation vs hotel service....perhaps senior management should read "The Ritz Carleton Way"!!! I would never recommend this hotel nor spend a dime in any of their restaurants or clubs again. I was completely embarrassed to have chosen such a horrible venue and in the future will do much more research ahead of time.

Room Tip: If it is hot outside, do not get a high floor, they have inadequate cooling system in the heat of th...
6  Thank CJKNYC
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I was a little worried about the quality of the people at the hotel after reading some of the reviews, but am glad I decided to stay here anyway. My 2 girlfriends and I went there to celebrate a friends bachelorette, and we had a blast. The concierge was quick and helpful with booking all the great restaurants for us before we arrived. I was able to check in at 830am which was amazing since I just flew in on a red eye and able to get some sleep before my friends arrived. When I went to the room and saw there was construction right outside, I called down to frontdesk and they apologized saying it had just started yesterday and weren't sure which rooms were affected and moved me to another room on the other side of the hotel right away. Most of all, the location is amazing. Great shopping, restaurants, and nightlife in the area. We also had fun at the rooftop pool and club. Sure there were some greasy people there, but it was a good mix of different people and certainly a fun crowd. I also liked that they were really strict about only letting hotel guests by the pool, so it wasn't hard for guests to find a seat. I would definitely go back again and recommend to anyone looking for a fun time in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Thanks for writing us such a glowing review! We are so happy we were able to be part of such a special occasion, but more importantly that you had a great time celebrating! We will pass on all your kind words to the concierge and team and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 11 July 2011

The hotel itself was clean. The rooms were a nice size and the bed was very comfortable. The subway is only a few minutes walk. The front staff was excellent. However, the security left a lot to be desired. I was required to show my room key every time I arrived/departed the hotel to ensure that I was a guest. (Despite it being the same guy all 3 nights. We had met.) There isn't a ton to do or eat in the area. Some local diners and off-beat food choices. The rooftop bar is pretty cool and the gym was a nice touch.

The hotel caters to luxury...and it reflects in the price. Honestly, I would pay $100 less to stay in a more conveniently situated hotel closer to the tourist spots. Don't get me wrong, the hotel itself was fine. I just don't see where the value is.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel even though the meatpacking district didn’t seem to fulfill your needs. We have another property called Gansevoort Park which is located on Park Ave. & 29th street. This location is closer to various tourist attractions and we would love to accommodate you on your next visit to NYC. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2011

There is no service here. Everyone is rude from the doorman to the management.I am a physician and they treated my friends and I like we were not worthy to stay there. We had nothing but problems. It was 90 degrees in New York and the room temp was 77 degrees during the day and 75 at night- they sent maintenance 3 times with no relief. Then the manager came and said "I'm wearing a suit and I'm comfortable." SO they gave me cheap K Mart fan than died in an hour and it took 6.5 hours to get another fan. It always took over an hour to get ice (you can't get it yourself). The hairdryer didn't work. We ordered room service which was $104 for 2 people with no alcohol, and they burnt my steak to a crisp! We ran out of toilet paper- what hotel doesn't lwave a second roll? The towels weren't replenished. We stayed on 4th of July to see the fireworks on the roof which is free to hotel guests, but since we didn't pay $500 for a table, we were treated like crap, and had to stand behind the ropes, so it was less than acceptable. We tried to go to the bar Provocateur- $2000 cover charge- seriously? Free WiFi- could never connect to it. This place is horrible. I hope this place burns down. I won't stay there if it is free.

3  Thank DRLUCY1