“trendy NY feel”

Ranked #205 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Maryland
“trendy NY feel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2008

Would highly recommend this hotel. Very trendy, upscale boutique style NY hotel. Rooms are small, but very nice. You feel ultra modern and chic when you stay here. Great shower and stereo system was a plus. Staff were helpful, never rude but not especially friendly. Room service and maintenance were prompt. Comfortable bed. We were told our room was an upgrade due the view, which may have been nice had there not been a big crane hanging over the water. But still worth getting room with a view, it's fun to look down at the busy cobbled street below.

Great location for all of down town, especially meat packing district. A few nice bars close by and some fabulous restaurants. The Gansevoort's own roof top bar has people lining up to get in, many nights of the week. Bar has great views, nice for a cocktail or two, full of NY's young professionals and IT girls. Great people watching. Good luck getting into the pool up there though, everytime we went up it seemed to be closed for a photo shoot of some kind. (LeeAnn Rhimes was shooting one when we tried to get in one day, was cool to see her though)

Stay here if you want to feel very New York, you will have a great stay.

• Liked — roof top bar and room decor
  • Disliked — that people visiting the bar used same elevator and could get off at any floor they choose
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank flymesomewheregreat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Finnish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2007

We just spent 4 night at the Gansevoort Hotel and absolutely loved it! I work in the industry at a smiliar property in London and were blown away by the hotel and the staff working there.
Our rooms were amazing decorated and very spacious - filled with all the amenities you could wish for.
The staff were equally amazing. The door staff, front desk and concierge went above and beyond their call to accomodate any requests we had.
Housekeeping made the room seem like we had just arrived and everything was fresh and untouched.
Prior to our arrival I had been in contact with Charlene @ the concierge desk to arrange balloons and champagne to be put in the room before we got there as we were celebrating a birthday for a friend of mine. All this was so easy to arrange and a big surprise to our friend.
I would definitely stay there again and will recommend it to my friends and customers.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank jsoerensen
Miami Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2007

My girlfriends and I stayed at the Hotel Ganesvoort for a girl’s weekend trip to NYC. Each of us has spent time in the City before and this time we wanted to stay in the meatpacking district. The location is fabulous, several great bars, restaurants, and clubs are in the area. The modern décor has a rather stark feel that didn’t particularly suit me, but might be right for others. The service was on occasion great and other times, mediocre. The rooms are spacious for NYC and the amenities are as described by the hotel. We enjoyed the roof-top bar as well. We enjoyed the trip, and our stay was comfortable, but not sure it was worth the rather high room rate.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the atmosphere felt pretentious
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank kaia789
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2007

Excellant service and very friendly staff. Loved the rooms and would definitely go back.

Stayed May 2007
Georgetown, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2007

My wife and I visit Manhattan about 3-4 times each year, each time for 2-4 days, to catch a show or two, shop, and generally just walk around enjoying the sites, sounds, smells and people of New York. For each visit, we generally stay in a different neighborhood to better get to know The City.

This trip (Dec. 8-10) was intended to be all about the Meatpacking District, so we selected the Hotel Gansevoort based on the hotel's website and the mostly-positive reviews here on TripAdvisor.

Unfortunately, our visit wasn't nearly as special as others have experienced. In fact, in my response to the guest comment survey from the hotel, I indicated, well, as follows... ("While nice, the hotel was not particularly special in appearance. The front desk staff and concierge met only the most basic expectations of completing the simple process of checking us in/out, and making a dinner reservation. For the rate paid (over $1,000/night incl. taxes), I expect excellence, and received only the mediocrity I would have expected from a routine business-class hotel such as a Hampton Inn or similar type property. For these reasons, we will not be returning to the Gansevoort.")

All due apologies to Hampton Inns all over the country, as they continue to be consistent, comfortable and cost-effective for my business travel.

Back to the Gansevoort...

We were staying in a Junior Suite (#912), which admittedly provided a decent view of the just-opened Apple Store at 9th Ave and 14th Street (see my photo). I'm an Apple fan, so that was a nice treat. :-)

The room was nicely sized, especially for Manhattan, though corner rooms often are. We arrived at the hotel at about 11:15 AM, knowing fully that check-in was 3:00 PM. We dropped our bags with the bellman (Orlando), and headed out on a nice Saturday to enjoy the area. We ate at Pastis (right across the street from the hotel) and enjoyed a wonderful brunch. At 2:28 PM, just as we were settling our check at Pastis, the front desk called to let us know a room was available, so we headed across the street to get settled in. Orlando was again gracious in bringing our bags to the suite, and in giving some local tips for dining (Buddakan instead of Buddha Bar, for example; both are very close walks from the hotel). One odd touch: there was a small stuffed duck/goose on the bed, which we learned was complimentary and is supposedly the icon for the hotel even though I didn't see this anywhere else during our stay.

Contrary to comments from some reviewers, we weren't bothered by the street noise. Maybe we were too tired from a long day of wandering the streets, seeing a show (Spamalot on Saturday, Wicked on Sunday; both were terrific). When we returned to the hotel, there was quite a line of 20-somethings waiting to get into the G Lounge (the spa in the basement converts to a lounge at night). As hotel suite guests, we were "on the guest list" and able to bypass the waiting line, so we went directly downstairs to check it out. The lounge was very small, okay music, not lit as seductively as it could be (more candles and less halogen-type lights would help). The crowd was typical, what my wife and I call "New York attractive" (young, thin, darkly dressed). I think we stayed about 10 minutes before deciding it just wasn't for us. BTW, we visit trendy clubs regularly, and don't mind loud music. We're 30-40-somethings :-) and feel quite comfortable in the midst of younger crowds, so that wasn't the situation here. The G Lounge simply lacked something that we couldn't identify, but knew immediately was missing.

Sunday evening, when we walked to Buddakan (about 2 1/2 blocks north on 9th (at 16th), it was raining, and the hotel provided umbrellas for guest use. The food at Buddakan was terrific (the steak in particular, but also the lobster/shrimp/noodle concoction), and the service was impeccable.

Our check-out process Monday was simple at the front desk... again, nothing special at all. No "thank you for staying with us", "come back soon", or the typical and expected salutations.

In summary, if you want a decent location in the meatpacking district, and don't care if the hotel staff pays any real attention to you or not, the Gansevoort is not a bad choice. However, the cost is significant, and my wife and I were not impressed enough to consider or recommend the Hotel Gansevoort.

• Liked — Good location in the Meatpacking District, close to Chelsea Market.
  • Disliked — Lack of personalized service or attention from the staff.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank roemeister
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2007

My boyfriend and I managed to get a good rate with the Ganservoort through our work. Maybe if I had had to pay the full price I probably wouldnt have been as impressed as the room was quite small and the A/C was always really warm. Never the less it was very clean and the concierge were extremely helpful. They also have a great bar and restaurant. Which leads to me to the main attraction of this hotel..its location! The bars and restaurants within stone throwing distance are amazing! Pastis for eggs benedict, lunch at the Fig and Olive, amazing steak dinner at Tengune and then a night cap at PM or the hotel club. Would definately stay there again and have recommended it to all my (party) friends!

• Liked — Location, restaurant, bar, concierge.
  • Disliked — Small room.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donnatela21
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

Beginning to end experience was very pleasant. We were first greeted with a nice letter from the Reservations desk to inform us of our future stay and then another sweet note awaited us in our room.
I have to say that The Gansevoort Hotel offered the perfect setting for my friend and I. The décor and atmosphere were amazing and just made our stay that much better. We stayed there for the weekend and the beauty of it all was the location. Having a hotel where we can easily find great shops and food makes everything easier.
I do have to compliment the staff, every single person was always in the perfect mood and made sure we were well taken care of. Happy people in there jobs and a smile makes the environment more pleasant and contagious for everyone else. We contacted the concierge a couple of times requesting some assistance and they were happy to assist us with any needs.
Our room was always cleaned and housekeeping was very respectful. We were greeted with some complimentary gifts which I though was a nice gesture from the Hotel staff. Our room was on the 11th floor which meant we didn’t have to deal with any outside noise not to mention the view was breathtaking. Having a hotel where we can sleep, eat, shop, and dance. I would have to say is a combination made in heaven.
Gansevoort Hotel made our New York experience the best and I believe it is the best hotel for anyone to stay. They offer great food, having shopping, spa, and a club in one location. I would definitely stay there again on my next visit especially when the room rates are reasonable prices. I recommend this hotel to anyon

Stayed November 2007