“Great birthday at the Gansevoort!”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #210 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I splurged for my 25th birthday with a deal on a suite here from Jetsetter. Could not have been happier! The room was beautiful, with two balconies and amazing views. Walking distance to a bunch of great bars and restaurants. Since my suite was a corner room, it was the perfect place to have a bunch of friends drop by to celebrate the evening - I was worried about noise, but let's just say this is not the hotel where people bring their kids and are asleep by 10 on a Saturday. While there was a long line to get to the rooftop bar, the doormen and front desk staff were very polite to my guests and let them up promptly, once I gave them the green light to do so.

But really, I am writing this review to praise Penny, who works at the front desk. Upon arrival I told her I was there for my birthday. We dropped our bags and went for a walk on the highline; by the time we got back, there was a happy birthday cupcake (candle included), a bottle of prosecco, and a nice note from Penny. She was so sweet and made our stay very special!

At one point we did venture up to the rooftop bar - it had potential, but was jam packed. Seems like word of the great view has gotten around. If you're just looking for a good bar, I would imagine there are better places, just based on how packed it was. Also, if you're looking for a quiet, relaxing stay, this probably isn't it. But for the purposes we were there, we had a blast! Would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Dear Meagan,

Happy Birthday! The Meatpacking District can get busy because of all the restaurants and nightclubs in the area, but it sounds like it was a perfect place for your celebration. We will be sure to let Penny know how she helped make your experience positively memorable. If you’re ever in NYC and would like a quieter hotel, our Park Ave location fits that criterion. Thank you for your wonderful review and hope to have you back soon.

@HotelGansevoort

Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed 21 March 2013

First time we stayed here and it was great. We've been to NY a number of times of the last couple of year and the first time we've stayed in meatpacking. Great location for restaurants, etc and also walking distance to soho. Can be a bit noisy, but hey its got a great vibe. Staff are super friendly and night/day difference to the usual business focused hotels. Concierge service was great in hooking up restaurants, transportation and tickets to a nets game.

Room Tip: quieter rooms face away from the main meat packing area.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear b m,

It’s great that you took advantage of the amazing restaurants near the Meatpacking District and was also able to go to a Nets game! We’re glad that our concierge was able to help make your trip as fun as possible. We hope to see you again soon. If you have any questions, feel free to contact digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

This is my third time visiting New York in the past 5 months for business and this was probably the best time yet. SOHO is my favorite part of being in New York and I wanted to find a hotel that's close to there. So I tried Gansevoort Hotel and I loved it. The staff is amazing. One of the workers, I think manager (Ben) saved my life when he told me about all the parties that were happening on one of my nights I had to the chance to go out and have some nightlife fun. Maybe that was why this was the best trip yet because I actually got to go out and party. However, the room was clean and I have no complaints. The location is great (less than 10 minutes from SOHO) I recommend this hotel and will being staying here again.

Room Tip: have a drink at the roof top bar.. view is amazing.

Dear Alex,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit and we hope to make it even better than the first time. Ben will be thrilled to know he was able to put a little fun into your business trip. Thank you for your amazing review.

See you again soon,

Reviewed 20 March 2013

This was my first experience of a Gansevoort and I probably won't return. This hotel was just too busy, too loud and a bit too neon.

A key concern was as a woman travelling alone there was no key card security to access the floors. Instead those travelling to the rooftop bar were able to get off on any level they choose.

On the upside its a trendy location.

Some favourite nearby stops: Pastis for breakfast and take out dinner, Serrafinas for the best pasta bolognese and also the Chelsea markets on a weekend for browsing.

Dear sydneywinelass,

Thank you for sharing your experience. The Meatpacking District is a busy area because of its surrounding restaurants, museums and nightclubs. If you’re looking for a quieter location, we think our Park Ave location may be a better fit for you. We also have separate elevators for guests and non-guests at Park Ave. If you’re visiting NYC again, we hope you reconsider staying with us and we will provide all the necessary accommodations to surpass your needs. For any questions, you can contact digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Really enjoyed the Gansevoort for a couple of nights during Presidents Day weekend in February. Excellent location is a very lively setting. Just know that weekend night get very loud and quickly remind you that you are in the middle of the aciton. The top floor club literally rocks until very early hours in the morning and after parties when next door are very annoying. The front desk took care of us with the significant upgrade the second night to compensate for a pretty loud experience the first night. Gym is the basement is better than what you typically see in hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Dear Perry,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We’re thrilled to hear that you had an amazing time. Since you’ve been to our NYC and Turks and Caicos locations, you might be interested to know that we’re opening a Gansevoort in Las Vegas. We hope to see you again soon – perhaps closer to the West Coast next time.

@GansevoortTC

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I came here for only one night but the hotel was ovebooked and as my plane was delayed I ended up in a "smoking room". Worst possible experience of NY. I still paid full price for the room whilst I had booked a non smoking room.

Room Tip: non smoking rooms are probably better
3  Thank Justine D
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Dear Justine,

We sincerely apologize that your stay did not exceed your expectations. Should you choose to visit again, we would love the opportunity to surpass your needs. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact digital@gansevoorthotelgroup.com. Thank you for sharing your review and we hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

A big thanks to the friendly staff at this hotel for accommodating me and a few friends that stayed here for a night in town. We were celebrating a friend's birthday and had an amazing time inside and out of this hotel. Gansevoort Hotel is a prime location for seeing the New York City skyline, dining out, nightlife, shopping and visiting the High Line Park. Everything is conveniently close. We couldn't ask for more! Room service and the front desk were very helpful. The rooms were very spacious and chic, unlike other New York City hotels I've been to. I recommend this place for younger crowds who do not mind noise and nightlife around the neighborhood. I will definitely stay here again. Thanks Gansevoort!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel_Gansevoort, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear Lina_Yang,

We’re delighted that you had a great trip with your friends. It was our pleasure to help make your friend’s birthday a great experience. We hope to see you again soon, perhaps for your birthday.