“Great Hotel, well worth the price”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #207 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Austin, Texas
“Great Hotel, well worth the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had a great stay at this hotel. It is a bit on the pricey side, but they did not disappoint. The location was great, a very short walk to sever different subway stops that will get you anywhere you need. Service was impressive! The rooms were well appointed and had great views. We had a room on the 11th floor with a small balcony, it was great!
Expect to see a celebrity or two, its that kind of place.

At night, the rooftop hosts a popular bar/lounge, so get ready to skip the line with your room key, it was great.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris L
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Chris L,

Thank you for the brilliant review. We're glad you had such a wonderful experience and we hope to continually exceed your expectations during future visits. The Meatpacking District is a great location that has so much to offer, from delicious restaurants to lively nightlife and entertainment. It's accessibility to the subway is also a wonderful perk. When you aren't exploring the area, it's important to have a comfortable place to come back to and we're glad you enjoyed your room and balcony view. There's nothing better than standing above the hustle and bustle of New York City in the comfort of your own private terrace. We hope to see you soon.

Gansevoort Meatpacking

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Finnish first
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I'm a local who has been circulating some of the hotels in NYC recently to have "staycations" thanks to my very limited vacation windows in the year. I frequent the restaurants in the MeatPacking District for work but when friends were visiting from out of town we planned an overnight experience here due to its central location.

We had a room with a suite, two bathrooms and exceptional view. To be clear, if I was staying for more than one night I wouldn't have paid as much per room - but it hurts less on the credit card if it's a one night stay. The hotel was nice enough to give us a great bottle of wine and some chocolates. The front door staff may be enduring a little tourist fatigue but the front desk staff were very helpful.

There appears to be a lot of guests staying who are Euro slick. When trying to get to the rooftop lounge in the afternoon for a drink we hardly walked out the elevator and it was too busy. Not with anyone casual dressed - it was slick, tight cocktail dresses with ample spillage of skin, high heels, thumping music, hair gel, busy, busy, busy. We turned around and left - the elevator bouncer put his arm up to prevent anyone else from coming in and a spat occurred between one guest and his boyfriend who wasn't permitted on the elevator because it was full up. It wasn't good or bad - what is was, well, to be frank, not our age group of people. Us, a married couple with their own dose of tourist fatigue trying to squeeze in to a pool party of Hipsters, Euro slick and Millennials. What I can say is if I was any person of that age group and style it would have been the party of a lifetime.

I can totally see this hotel being a place to take advantage of their weekend package where you may shop, drink, party and eat at great social places. If you are coming from Europe and your dollar stretches then this is also the place for you. Be warned, you may run in to more of yourselves than the locals.

The rooms had exceptional sound proofing. The space was very thoughtful, well lit for getting ready. I'd love to find out who the designer and find out what their inspiration was as there were ample photographs of people in their late 20's with cocktail clothes having fun splashed across our room's living area, hallway and bedroom. It was odd as it seemed like an advertisement for a vodka. Perhaps this a way to show who the audience they are trying to target is but nonetheless very confusing - it wasn't art, it wasn't ironic, it was kind of a dated look of people having fun of miscellaneous ethnicity and looks. I think it would be a great cleansing for the hotel if they ridded themselves of these photographs and opted to introduce the fantastic street artists who are visible everywhere in pop up showrooms in their area. Something more appropriate for the location and art scene. But those photographs have got to go. It dates the hotel.

I would absolutely recommend staying here for location, party scene opportunities, shopping and restaurant options, design and hip feel of the hotel. I would suggest if you are over 40 you talk to the concierge about when the best times as a guest are to visit their lounge spaces as it's evident they cater to the party crowds who aren't staying at the hotel and that means crowded areas for you . In order to get back in to our hotel for the evening we had to show the bouncers at the front of the hotel our guest cards as there is a line up on a Saturday (a block long!) for the rooftop. Again, I'd say an excellent choice is to stay here if you are of that age group who loves to dress up and have a fun night out. The location is exceptional and perfect for any tourist seeking more of an authentic New York experience. The restaurants and shopping in this location are my favorite. This hotel definitely caters to your age group and style and you'd have a lot of fun.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BigAppleChick
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear BigAppleChick,

Thank you for the thorough review. We’re pleased you chose to reside at our hotel and are glad you had an enjoyable stay cation. We appreciate your feedback as we continuously update our property and will pass along your suggestions regarding the bedroom décor. It is unfortunate you weren't able to completely enjoy Plunge Lounge due to the large crowd and we apologize for the inconvenience. Our concierge will happily let a guest know which times are best for a laid back and mellow rooftop environment. Despite the busy Meatpacking District nightlife, we’re thrilled you were fond of our quiet and well-lit rooms. Did you know we also have a midtown location on Park Ave? It overlooks the Empire State building and is set in a quieter area for those that prefer the extra solitude. You are a valued guest and we hope to exceed your expectations from check-in to check-out again soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I first stayed at this property several years ago, and have loved it ever since until recently. During a recent stay I had an issue at the rooftop bar which when brought to the head of security's attention was ignored. In fact I was blown off as though I was insignificant. However, while the head of security refused to be a professional when I brought my concerns to his staff they immediately took action to correct the situation. I was with a lady friend and so furious that I took my concerns and addressed them with the front desk. I was told I would receive a return call or email within a day. Unfortunately that did not occur. Two weeks later I stayed at the property again and addressed my concerns with one of the front desk managers. He apologized for the incident, upgraded me to a suite and informed me that the rooftop bar manager would be speaking with me. The upgrade was simply perfect! That evening when I opened a bar tab at the rooftop bar within five minutes the rooftop bar manager approached me by my last name and apologized for my last experience. He then went above and beyond and ensured my guests were well taken care of for the evening. I couldn't be more pleased with the response and outcome. This property has made a lifelong guest and I'll always recommend this property to friends and colleagues. In my opinion, if you enjoy a boutique property, with a party vibe, and the opportunity to rub elbows with some of NY's professional elite, actors, and models, this is the only place to stay hands down!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark M
Dear Mark M,

Thank you for the review. We deeply regret your past experience on our rooftop was less than satisfactory but we're thrilled our team could make it up to you. We strive to provide our guests with the impeccable service and respect they deserve. We appreciate you notifying us of this incident, as it helps ensure events like these don’t reoccur. We're glad our manager had the opportunity to formally apologize to you during your most recent visit. We're also pleased we could upgrade your room and are glad you enjoyed the complimentary rooftop drinks. We're honored you consider yourself a lifelong guest and we truly look forward to making many more positive memories with you.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I was headed back to NY from Cali before moving to Japan (yes I spend a decent amount of time in hotels) and I wanted a really nice, chic hotel with the right atmosphere to spend my birthday weekend with friends. Settled on the Gansevoort in the Meatpacking district and I was never disappointed. I had about 10 friends over for a few hours, we played music, went up to the hotel bar and had a great time. The hotel staff were extremely nice, the suite was fantastic and with an excellent view. If you're not familiar with New York prices for square footage, you may have some sticker price shock (suite was about 900 a night) but frankly this hotel is reasonably priced. All in all, a good time.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Claire G,

Thank you for the wonderful review and happy birthday! We're honored you chose to spend such a special occasion with us and we're thrilled you had a fantastic experience. There's nothing better than celebrating a significant moment amongst great friends and good music. We're glad you stayed in one of our suites that overlooks the cityscape. They're perfect for small groups to get together and lounge before a night out on the town. Safe travels to Japan and we hope to see you again in NYC.

oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Generous, friendly, beautiful, fun and VERY good beds & pillows :-)
Coming to The Gansevoort Hotel is like coming home + a little extra - like a heated swimming pool on the rooftop - with marvelous city wiew....
One of my favorite hotels ever!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear rekaaspa,

Thank you for the outstanding review. It was a pleasure having you and we're honored to be your home-away-from-home. We're thrilled you enjoyed our divinely comfortable beds, plush pillows and beautiful décor. We're also glad you had a chance to take a swim in our heated rooftop pool. There is nothing more remarkable than floating above the skyline while taking in the expansive Hudson River views. We look forward to having you again soon.

Venice, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have been only on the Top where there is the Lounge Bar. Is a wonderful place where to drink an aperitif on the observation platform. In the evening it’s really very nice to enjoy the sunset and later to see the lights of NYC in the nights. If it’s cold or the weather isn’t nice there enough space to stay inside. It’s a very trendy location for the people that live in New York.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear albrizio,

Thank you for the delightful review. We are elated that you had such a remarkable experience. We're glad you enjoyed all that our rooftop has to offer, from the delicious bites and cocktails to the beautiful views of the cityscape. We would have to agree, our lounge is always worthwhile despite the weather. It was a pleasure having you and we hope to see you soon.

Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The best managed, situated and stylish hotel in Manhatten. It's surrounded by delicious cafes and restaurants, and the best shopping experience too is just around the corner. Gansevoort has the best roof-top spot in town for early morning swimming, mid-day sun-bathing and late-night drinks. My wife and I have stayed there twice each year since 2007 - and yes, we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Torgeir H,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. It's always a pleasure having you and we truly cherish your invaluable loyalty. We're delighted our team makes each stay memorable and we hope to continually prove our dedication in future trips. Additionally, we're glad you took advantage of our rooftop lounge. There's nothing better than swimming amongst the expansive skyline and Hudson River. We look forward to your next visit.