“Really disappointing trip and no response from hotel when following up”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #204 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Really disappointing trip and no response from hotel when following up”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at the gansevoort for 2 nights having stayed in similar NY hotels. I have never written a review before however feel compelled to do so given the experience and having emailed the following to the hotel and a second email asking for confirmation of receipt a week later have had no response which is really disappointing. Much better New York hotels ...

For the attention of the Reservations Director and Hotel Director

My daughter and I arrived at the hotel on Saturday 14th June just after 09.00 a.m. We didn't expect to be able to check in but were told that our room would be ready soon and that reception would call us when it was available and our luggage would be taken up to the room. My daughter gave the desk clerk the relevant contact phone number to note on our booking.

We didn't receive the expected call and returned to the hotel around 12.30 but our room was not available even though we had been told it would only take a short time to get ready. We left again, returning around 16.30 still not having been contacted by the hotel. We were told the room had been ready at 16.00 and that a call had been made to my daughter's phone. Given that we had been told at 9.00 am our room would soon be ready it was very disappointing for a room only to be ready an hour after 15.00 check in and also not to have received the relevant phone call. We later discovered a call had been made to the wrong number even though at 9.00 am we had been asked to confirm our contact number and had given the one we were using in the US. Clearly records were not updated.

When we got to our room, our luggage had not been taken up and it had a double bed rather than two singles. My daughter went downstairs requesting we be moved to a room with two beds as promised having called and arranged this prior to the trip. My daughter's experience from the manager was not good to say the least. She was asked to provide evidence that this had been agreed and was told that given the time we checked in at 16.30 this would not be an option in NYC on a Saturday night in June. When she challenged advising we'd arrived at 9.00am she was told there would have been a list by 9.00 am and bags would have needed to be in earlier which I doubt very much. The explanation for not having two beds was due to upgrades in bookings and my daughter was told that to get two beds we would have to pay more. When asking what the cost was she was told there were no more rooms as people who had paid more than us had them and hadn't checked in. Very mixed messages, very unsatisfactory and contradictory to say the least. The Manager involved Jonathan from reservations who apologised for some of the comments and arranged a room switch for the second night. From the house Manager all she got was comments on upgrades versus what we had paid. We were assured that the converted sofa bed would be made as comfortable as a hotel bed and we would not know the difference. This was not the case, the bed was concave not flat and my daughter had an extremely uncomfortable and disturbed sleep with the airplane bed on the flight being flatter that the hotel sofa bed.

At the point of leaving reception, my daughter was advised to always get everything promised by hotels in writing to provide evidence, not something I expect to have to do in the calibre of hotel the Gansevoort purports to be. My daughter commented that this level of service and inconvenience is not what we normally receive from hotels and mentioned our stay at the Trump to which she was fold she wasn't at the Trump and they dealt with far less people. The perception we were left with is it's not about service but all about the money at the Gansevoort.

Jonathan from reservations spoke to the manager and asked for a bottle of Champagne to be sent to our room as an apology. The manager said it would be up shortly and asked what time we were leaving the room to arrange for the bed to be made up for our return. Having spent 50 minutes in reception by this time it was 17.20 and my daughter advised we were leaving for a concert between 18.30 and 19. 00 so agreed the bed should be made at 19.00. A bottle of chilled prosecco was delivered at 18.50 an hour and a half after it was 'being sent up shortly'. Had we ordered from room service I am sure it would not have been delivered at that temperature and had I ordered champagne and received sparkling wine would have sent it back.

We subsequently returned back around midnight and were very disappointed to say the least to discover the sofa bed had not been made up as promised and, on going to reception, no one was aware of the position and we had to go through all the details again. The manager was not available and the desk clerk was rude and could not see why the bed not having been made up was an issue. The maid who came to make up the bed said it wasn't her floor but she had heard something
regarding our room. She called her manager to our room who said reception had not passed any instruction on. We moved rooms the next day and my daughter had a much better nights sleep.

Unfortunately on the Sunday afternoon we received equally rude service at the rooftop bar which deterred me from returning to use the bar and restaurant as planned. As part of the Sunday night we had two cocktail vouchers. My daughter ordered drinks at the bar and prior to being presented with the check mentioned she had the vouchers to which the bartender tutted and rudely stated in a derogatory tone 'they don't include a tip' and snatched them before my daughter had the chance to give a tip. This is absolutely appalling and as stated merely meant our going to another local establishment rather than using the facilities at the Gansevoort.

I didn't have time to go through the series of issues again on checking out as my daughter had a surprise birthday lunch planned for me bit I did tell the desk clerk that we had not had a positive experience, were very disappointed with the service received and would be requesting a refund of the first nights stay. I am sure you can imagine my astonishment therefore to receive not only an electronic receipt but also the email below both highlighting the hotels commitment to quality service assuming we'd enjoyed our stay and suggesting we might want to leave positive feedback on tripadvisor !

My daughter and I were very disappointed with the poor service received during our stay and request a refund for the Saturday. Please can you advise when you have made the necessary refund to my credit card.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
16 Thank Lauren H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Finnish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Traveled to NYC in July 2014 for my wife's birthday and we loved this cool, hip, modern hotel in the Meatpacking District. Stayed here for 2 nights and loved every minute of it. We were upgraded to a suite with a great view and plenty of space. Paul at the front desk was very helpful and really nice. Can't wait to come back and stay at the Gansevoort Meatpacking!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony E
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Anthony E,

Thank you for the outstanding review. We're sending our best wishes to your wife and we're thrilled you chose to celebrate this special occasion with us. It's the small details that can truly make a celebratory trip memorable and we're glad you enjoyed the room upgrade as well as the beautiful view. Paul and the rest of our team will be pleased to know you had a flawless experience and we'd love to have you again soon.

Bloomfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed at the Gansevoort as part of a large wedding party. The staff was quite helpful at check in. The hotel is in the trendy meat packing district and the surrounding area is quite cool.
Back to the hotel...we had a suite and the space was quite ample for NYC. The bathroom and all its amenties were impressive. The room could have been cleaner, we found some remnants of the previous guests Smore party......

The bar and top floor pool lounge seemed nice, yet we were not able to use it do to the wedding and rain. Our request to make up the sleeper bed after dinner was not honored. Arriving back at 1 am we found the bed not set up.....we had to call downstairs for a person to make the bed up at 1:30 am. It's the little things (execution) that make an average hotel superior.

I would stay agian, but insist on a room not facing the main street as music palyed until 4 am...rough nite for sure.

Room Tip: Get a quiet , clean room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CharlesinCT
Dear CharlesinCT,

Thank you for the detailed review. We're sending our well wishes to the newlyweds, but we sincerely regret your experience was not up to par. We strive to accommodate all requests and we apologize for any miscommunication that delayed your bed to be made. Additionally, our reservations department will happily offer a room farther away from the busy streets and energetic nightlife. We'd love the opportunity to prove our commitment in making your stay nothing short of amazing and we look forward to having you again. Feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Irvine, California
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This place is pretty hype, just opposite the Apple Store in Meatpacking. Nightclub on the roof and terrace downstairs. Good place to stay and smell the atmosphere of New York for a few days. Can surely recommend it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MPH010
Dear MPH010,

Thank you for the fantastic review. We agree, our location is the perfect area to truly have a New York City experience and we're glad you're fond of it. We appreciate your recommendations and would love to have you again soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Without doubt one of the best hotels we've stayed in anywhere. The room was sensational, location to shops and the Highline perfect and overall experience terrific. My only critisism would be that of the bar staff on the roof top bar....a little more of a sincere approach to customers would be appreciated. We all understand tipping in the US is part of the cost however if a good tip is given early it would be good to have staff understand that the service level should follow. Didn't detract too much from what was a great experience and one l would highly recommend to friends and colleagues however get it right as the competition in a place like NY will be fierce!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Otto A
Dear Otto A,

Thank you for the brilliant review. We're glad you had a great experience and loved the Meatpacking District. It's a wonderful location filled with a plethora of attractions and we're thrilled you had a chance to experience all that it has to offer. On another note, we apologize your visit to our rooftop did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and we'll be sure to relay your comments to the rooftop team. It was a pleasure having you and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We visited NYC, for just one night, with two adults and three kids. We absolutely loved this hotel! The service was impeccable, some of the best I have received in NYC. John, who worked in the front, was so accommodating and helpful! He's a gem! This hotel is definitely worth the money. We were worried that the hotel, and especially the rooftop pool, wouldn't be kid friendly, but it was! The lifeguard, even brought a child sized life jacket over for our 2 year old daughter. The kids loved the pool, and it was very enjoyable for adults. The room was perfectly cleaned and they even re cleaned it and brought us new towels, the same day as check in. When we asked for something, they were there within 10-15 min. I would definitely stay at the Gansevoort Hotel again!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jessica M
Dear Jessica M,

Thank you for the fantastic review. We're thrilled you had a wonderful time and plan on staying with us again. We work to provide seamless service and we're glad you felt well-taken care of. John and the rest of our dedicated team will be pleased to hear of your kind remarks. It's important to offer amenities that a variety of guests can enjoy and we're happy your family loved our rooftop pool. It was truly a pleasure having you and we look forward to your next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Traveled with my husband to NYC in June for business in the Meatpacking District. The location of this hotel is amazing and we happily navigated the area with ease.

I never really know what to expect for a NY hotel. Although we were very comfortable at the Gansevoort, there were a few reasons I gave only a 3 "star" review. First of all, this IS a NOISY hotel. I found this out only after I booked. Not for families. We were not interested in the scene here nor did it bother us. We just were not "wowed" here as thought we might be.

When we arrived to our hotel room the first thing I had to do was call housekeeping to get some windex as all the counter tops (including the bathroom) and end tables were dirty! Bummed we also got a queen bed but since we asked for a somewhat quiet room, we stayed put. The rooms are good size but indeed in need of a makeover! Commen areas were nice but for the $ and reviews I did expect more from this hotel. Front desk not very friendly but doorman and bellmen cordial and pleasant.

The best experience we had was with Monica and Rebecca at the concierge. We wanted to reseach NY upscale salons and Monica booked my husband with a top stylist at Sally Hershberger salon. Monica was friendly and knowledgeable and very helpful the duration of our stay.

We also visited the Exhale Spa downstairs as the hotel offered a great discount for massage so we took advantage of it after we checked in, tired from our travel. The spa also needs updating however our service was excellent. PJ and Shirley were amazing!

Only ordered coffee from room service which arrived quickly within 5 to 10 minutes top - great! You also have to call to get ice every time you need it -fyi.

All in all, we may or may not rebook here - was comfortable but not impressed. Left the door open for me to try the Standard or another local hotel.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear italean,

Thank you for the detailed review. It was a pleasure having you and we're glad you enjoyed your time spent in the Meatpacking District. It's a wonderful location that offers a plethora of attractions, from decadent dining to lavish shopping and more. We're glad you had the chance to take advantage of our concierge and we're thrilled they were able to point you in the right direction. New York City can be overwhelming at times and it's always helpful to have a knowledgable helping hand. On another note, we apologize your room wasn't up to par when you checked in. We would love another opportunity to prove our commitment in making your experience impeccable and we hope to have you again soon. Please feel free to contact Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.