2,026 results
All reviews rooftop pool chelsea market manhattan suite the meat packing district new york the high line whitney museum hudson river trendy hotel bottle of champagne lobby bar location is fantastic street noise highline hip nyc nightlife
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Gansevoort in the Meatpacking district and could not have enjoyed myself more. The staff is exceptional from Julien and Bogdan at the front desk, to Raul the bellman, and Marc in In-Room Dining. Reading some other reviews from frustrated people I question what they expected....this is a hotel to stay at if you want to have fun. There will be a little extra noise on certain days of the week, but this is what the brand and neighborhood are - FUN. If you want cookie cutter service, stay at the ritz. If you want to want a stay to remember, and that has as much personality as you do, stay at the Gansevoort.

Room tip: Upgrades are often available at the front desk upon arrival, you may have to pay a couple extra $$ but its well worth the west facing view.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank par-le-view
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear par-le-view,

Thank you for the amazing review. We're pleased your experience was outstanding and we're glad you loved our vibe. We appreciate your kind words and we'll be sure to relay them to Julien, Bogden, Raul, Marc and the rest of our committed team. We agree, the Meatpacking District is an energetic area and we're happy you enjoyed all that it has to offer. We look forward to having you again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have to give the Gansevoort, in the Meatpacking District of New York City a thumbs down. The only good service was the waitress by the pool Saturday June 28, 2014. Other than that, the service was so poor it's not even funny when you pay $500-600/per night at this establishment. The rooftop bar, Plunge don't even waste your time, so many other amazing hotels with awesome service out there. I have no problem spending money when i receive service! Never again will I be staying at this hotel! Too bad since it's a beautiful hotel, in a trendy area.. ashamed the service brought the quality of the hotel down in ranks.

Room tip: Find a different hotel, such as the Dream just a few blocks down if you want trendy with a pool, the service is so much better for the price.
Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank pusanyc7

Dear pusanyc7,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We deeply regret your visit was not up to par and we apologize you were unhappy with the quality of our service. We aim to provide you and the rest of our guests with impeccable experiences and we're disappointed you didn't feel well-taken care of. We'd love the opportunity to prove our commitment in making your stay seamless and we hope to have you again soon. Feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here for business and had a good stay. cool vibe and clean rooms. staff was not as friendly as i would have hoped for given the price was higher than other places in the area. Noisy in the lobby as well. room was poorly lit so it was difficult to read in the room. Food was good and so many great places to eat in the area. I would stay here again.

Date of stay: August 2013
Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear David K,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're glad you chose to stay with us, but we deeply regret your visit did not meet your expectations. We strive to offer the highest quality of service and we apologize for any miscommunication that occurred with our team. We appreciate your feedback as it will help ensure that all future stays are nothing short of amazing. Additionally, we're always happy to accommodate special requests and next time, we will gladly supply additional lighting. On another note, we are pleased you enjoyed our well-kept rooms and delicious cuisine. We're thrilled you plan to stay with us again, as we look forward to providing an impeccable stay. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I found ourselves kid-free for one night, and quickly looked for a place that would be fun and a little different. The rate we found online for the Gansevoort was very good, and the fact that they had a rooftop pool sealed the deal for us on a hot July weekend.

Front desk (Valerie?) was great and upgraded us to a Deluxe room upon check-in. The room was on the 12th floor and was fantastic. Plenty of room, and beautiful views of the Hudson and the rest of the meatpacking district.

Rooftop pool was crowded, but we skulked about until someone left and we could commandeer 2 chairs. We were definitely the oldest people there (late 40s/early 50s) but we really got a kick out of watching groups of girls from bachelorette parties and single guys making their moves on each other. This is quite the scene, so take it for what's it's worth, have a few drinks, and enjoy. Pool was warm and you can enjoy cocktail service in the water, surrounded by Manhattan views. What's not to love? P.S. Just want to compliment the bartenders and waitresses around the pool. Really tight area to maneuver with trays of drinks. Very impressive!

The location is amazing. Tons of interesting shops, beautiful streets and good restaurants. Great to walk along the Highline and to go for a run along the Westside Highway up or downtown. It is really a party zone, so don't expect a quiet night of sleep. Bring earplugs and just surrender to the fact that you're in the most happening area in NYC these days.

We'll definitely be back for another staycation if the price is right.

Room tip: If you can, get an upper level room for great views.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank guej

Dear guej,

Thank you for the brilliant review. Sometimes all you need is a quick getaway to escape the daily grind and we're thrilled you enjoyed your stay-cation. It's the little details that can make a big impact and we're glad we could provide a room upgrade. We're also happy you had a chance to lounge on our rooftop. Although it can become quite lively, we're pleased you found chairs and enjoyed people watching. We appreciate your compliments and we'll be sure to relay them to the rest of our devoted team. It was a pleasure having you and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at the gansevoort for 2 nights having stayed in similar NY hotels. I have never written a review before however feel compelled to do so given the experience and having emailed the following to the hotel and a second email asking for confirmation of receipt a week later have had no response which is really disappointing. Much better New York hotels ...

For the attention of the Reservations Director and Hotel Director

My daughter and I arrived at the hotel on Saturday 14th June just after 09.00 a.m. We didn't expect to be able to check in but were told that our room would be ready soon and that reception would call us when it was available and our luggage would be taken up to the room. My daughter gave the desk clerk the relevant contact phone number to note on our booking.

We didn't receive the expected call and returned to the hotel around 12.30 but our room was not available even though we had been told it would only take a short time to get ready. We left again, returning around 16.30 still not having been contacted by the hotel. We were told the room had been ready at 16.00 and that a call had been made to my daughter's phone. Given that we had been told at 9.00 am our room would soon be ready it was very disappointing for a room only to be ready an hour after 15.00 check in and also not to have received the relevant phone call. We later discovered a call had been made to the wrong number even though at 9.00 am we had been asked to confirm our contact number and had given the one we were using in the US. Clearly records were not updated.

When we got to our room, our luggage had not been taken up and it had a double bed rather than two singles. My daughter went downstairs requesting we be moved to a room with two beds as promised having called and arranged this prior to the trip. My daughter's experience from the manager was not good to say the least. She was asked to provide evidence that this had been agreed and was told that given the time we checked in at 16.30 this would not be an option in NYC on a Saturday night in June. When she challenged advising we'd arrived at 9.00am she was told there would have been a list by 9.00 am and bags would have needed to be in earlier which I doubt very much. The explanation for not having two beds was due to upgrades in bookings and my daughter was told that to get two beds we would have to pay more. When asking what the cost was she was told there were no more rooms as people who had paid more than us had them and hadn't checked in. Very mixed messages, very unsatisfactory and contradictory to say the least. The Manager involved Jonathan from reservations who apologised for some of the comments and arranged a room switch for the second night. From the house Manager all she got was comments on upgrades versus what we had paid. We were assured that the converted sofa bed would be made as comfortable as a hotel bed and we would not know the difference. This was not the case, the bed was concave not flat and my daughter had an extremely uncomfortable and disturbed sleep with the airplane bed on the flight being flatter that the hotel sofa bed.

At the point of leaving reception, my daughter was advised to always get everything promised by hotels in writing to provide evidence, not something I expect to have to do in the calibre of hotel the Gansevoort purports to be. My daughter commented that this level of service and inconvenience is not what we normally receive from hotels and mentioned our stay at the Trump to which she was fold she wasn't at the Trump and they dealt with far less people. The perception we were left with is it's not about service but all about the money at the Gansevoort.

Jonathan from reservations spoke to the manager and asked for a bottle of Champagne to be sent to our room as an apology. The manager said it would be up shortly and asked what time we were leaving the room to arrange for the bed to be made up for our return. Having spent 50 minutes in reception by this time it was 17.20 and my daughter advised we were leaving for a concert between 18.30 and 19. 00 so agreed the bed should be made at 19.00. A bottle of chilled prosecco was delivered at 18.50 an hour and a half after it was 'being sent up shortly'. Had we ordered from room service I am sure it would not have been delivered at that temperature and had I ordered champagne and received sparkling wine would have sent it back.

We subsequently returned back around midnight and were very disappointed to say the least to discover the sofa bed had not been made up as promised and, on going to reception, no one was aware of the position and we had to go through all the details again. The manager was not available and the desk clerk was rude and could not see why the bed not having been made up was an issue. The maid who came to make up the bed said it wasn't her floor but she had heard something
regarding our room. She called her manager to our room who said reception had not passed any instruction on. We moved rooms the next day and my daughter had a much better nights sleep.

Unfortunately on the Sunday afternoon we received equally rude service at the rooftop bar which deterred me from returning to use the bar and restaurant as planned. As part of the Sunday night we had two cocktail vouchers. My daughter ordered drinks at the bar and prior to being presented with the check mentioned she had the vouchers to which the bartender tutted and rudely stated in a derogatory tone 'they don't include a tip' and snatched them before my daughter had the chance to give a tip. This is absolutely appalling and as stated merely meant our going to another local establishment rather than using the facilities at the Gansevoort.

I didn't have time to go through the series of issues again on checking out as my daughter had a surprise birthday lunch planned for me bit I did tell the desk clerk that we had not had a positive experience, were very disappointed with the service received and would be requesting a refund of the first nights stay. I am sure you can imagine my astonishment therefore to receive not only an electronic receipt but also the email below both highlighting the hotels commitment to quality service assuming we'd enjoyed our stay and suggesting we might want to leave positive feedback on tripadvisor !

My daughter and I were very disappointed with the poor service received during our stay and request a refund for the Saturday. Please can you advise when you have made the necessary refund to my credit card.

Date of stay: June 2014