“Staff and Location - Perfection” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #205 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Staff and Location - Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week on the advice of our travel agent and have to say it really give the trip an edge. Falling out of your hotel into the meat packing district day and night was a real treat. The room itself was huge, rooftop pool and club/bar to enjoy made it really special. On top of this the staff could not do enough for you, with the concierge making several reservations for us at some of Manhattans most exclusive restaurants. When we return we are staying here.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank JimD7777
Gansevoort_HG, Community Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear JimD7777,

Thank you for your amazing review. We're delighted that you had a fantastic experience from our impeccable service to our central Meatpacking location. We're also glad our concierge was able to assist with coveted restaurant reservations during your stay. Dining in the neighborhood and heading to our rooftop for drinks above the skyline is a wonderful way to enjoy Manhattan. We look forward to your next visit.

Gansevoort Meatpacking

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Finnish first
Chevy Chase, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed there two nights with family and while it is in a great location it has some issues. Some great employees, some not so great. First night was miserable as they put us on the third floor over the lobby bar. No sleep as the base from the music buzzed the room all night. OK, I am the over 50 crowd and do love the action in the Hotel, but you have to be able to keep it out of the rooms at night. STAY AWAY from rooms on the 3rd floor over the downstairs club unless you plan to go to sleep after the club closes. Plus rooms on the Houston side seem to get the trucks and deliveries in the morning. So when you do finally get to sleep at 5am the trucks can wake you at 6 am. The rooms are OK but seem more worn than they should be given the place is not that old (except bathrooms, they were very clean and nice). Very few available electrical outlets for all your charging needs. So they moved our room for night #2 and it was much better until the same base buzz came from the roof lounge or it was just traveling higher up the building from below. No where near as bad, but still annoying. My son had some friends come to join him at the roof-top bar. They would not let them in because they had tennis shoes on (we talking fashionable tennis shoes, not ripped sneakers), so they left and went to another club in Meat Packing. The next morning the staff was shocked and said they had never heard of anything like that, especially for a guest and they should have been allowed in. My wife and I went to the hotel restaurant to get something to eat Friday morning and asked if we could eat at the bar counter. They said sure, then no one ever waited on us so we left. We actually came back and asked the hostess if we could sit inside and she said no, only out in the sun, so we left again and ate in Chelsea Market. So, despite my wife and son enjoying the Hotel earlier in the Spring, I did not really enjoy it. The bartenders at the roof top bar were great when we were relaxing in the afternoon, some of the desk people were as nice as can be and he doormen and bell staff were very helpful and friendly. So, overall I would go here if you want to party in Meat Packing and be able to walk home, but you can do that and stay at the Standard (which I have). So back to the 60 Thompson or Trump SoHo for us and we'll cab down to Spice Market!

Room Tip: Stay away from 3rd floor over bar or facing Houston. Higher floors would be better. High energy pa...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Neil K
Dear Neil K,

Thank you for your detailed review. We sincerely regret your experience was not up to par and we apologize for the noise disturbance. If you choose to stay with us again, our reservations department will gladly provide a room that better suits your needs. Additionally, we are disappointed your son and his friends were not permitted into our rooftop bar. We have followed up with our team to further investigate the situation to ensure similar situations don't occur in the future. We apologize for the miscommunication at The Chester as well. You should have been served immediately and we appreciate your feedback. On another note, we're pleased you found our rooftop bartenders and other team members to be attentive. We'd love another chance to prove our commitment and provide an impeccable stay. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns. We hope to have you again soon.

Ganesvoort Meatpacking
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel is really great. I had an awesome time there, though really quick, unfortunately.
It has a good location, really next to the Highline (one of the main tourist spots in NYC), incredible service and facilities. The front desk was so nice to me that looked like I was among old friends. And housekeeping was really helpful and quick on solving any issues I had. It has great bar in the rooftop, the Plunge, and a great restaurant in which you can have a nice breakfast. Last but not least I had a good night of sleep there, because the hotel is really quiet.
A perfect experience.
Definitely an excellent hotel and when I come back to the city, I will certainly be making a reservation there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rafael N
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Rafael N,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We're glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope your next stay is even longer! We're thrilled you loved our location and our friendly team. Providing excellent service is important to us and we're happy we could make you feel comfortable. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, but we're pleased we were able to quickly resolve the issues. We're elated you found your trip to be perfect and we can't wait to have you again soon.

Ganservoort Meatpacking
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I often try and stay in Meatpacking when I am over in NY as I'm a member at Soho House but can never get a room there (or - to be fair - afford their rates!)
This is a good place with a great location - really convenient for what I wanted. I love the meatpacking and being able to head to fab places for lunch, walk on the highline, do a little shopping there or the west village. It's what makes the difference for me when I am away from home.
For me it's all about location in cities whether work or play and this definitely has that.
I stayed in the Park Ave Gansevoort a year ago but I'd say in comparison with that I'd say this one feels just a little worn around the edges. Old & tired and a little past it.
It just isn't that welcoming - I get that the door men/bouncers need to be there because the top floor turns into a night club - but when I've stepped off a 7 hour flight I'd really like someone to open the door, offer to take my luggage and be just a tiny bit friendly (receptionist was trying to be too 'cool for school'). I don't think it's too much to ask when you're paying these rates.
I couldn't get up to the pool for a morning swim (it was already after 7am) because they block the elevators and everything just felt too difficult and too geared towards maintaining it supposedly "cool" reputation.
Perhaps I'm past it and don't 'get' it but I think it needs to cater to hotel guests in their mid 30s more and not a bunch of prom kids screaming down the corridors at night! I should like this hotel but I didn't!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank misselaneyous
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear misselaneyous,

Thank you for the thorough review. We deeply regret your experience was not up to par and we apologize you didn't feel well-taken care of. You should have been pleasantly greeted when you arrived and we're disappointed you didn't feel well-attended. On another note, we're glad you enjoyed the Meatpacking District's attractions. We would love another chance to prove our devotion and provide a flawless trip from check-in to check-out. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My boyfriend I stayed here in April for 6 nights and had the most wonderful time. The hotel staff were impeccable. Well mannered, helpful, professional and gave us some great tips on where to eat etc. On our last night upon checkout, the hotel staff at the from desk where so kind as to offer us a free fruit platter and bottled water for being great guests! How awesome. The room was well designed and beautifully decorated. The hotel lobby was fun to be in, we spent a great afternoon drinking cocktails from the bar and playing pool. The rooftop boast breathtaking views and a cool atmosphere. What else could one ask for when visiting the greatest city in the world?! Thanks to the Gansevoort, for making our experience that much better. I have no doubt that upon our return in the future, we'll be staying with you again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle C
Dear Michelle C,

Thank you for the fantastic review. It was a pleasure having you and we're glad you had an outstanding experience. It's the small details that can leave a significant impression and we're happy you enjoyed the complimentary snacks. It’s wonderful you had a chance to lounge in our lobby. You can never go wrong with playing pool, while sipping cocktails. It’s wonderful you had a chance to lounge in our lobby. We truly appreciate your kind words and we look forward to your next visit to NYC.

Ormond Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Pros:
Location, location location!
Fun people watching.
Fun rooftop bar, night club.
Great Concierge who can get you anywhere!
Cons:
Worn.
Grouchy night time "door men" who are there because the top floor turns into a night club. They do not show respect for those that are a paying hotel guests.
Horrible, small weight/cardio room. Fuzzy or no cable in work out area. Grouchy woman working area.
Loud noise in corridors that carries into your room. It is a party hotel. Not a glamorous hotel like a Ritz or Four Seasons but they charge more.
The upstairs club noise can be heard in your room as you try and sleep.
No bottled water or coffee for guests without a $5 or more charge.
Small rooms.

Room Tip: No good rooms. All loud.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JPGTR
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear JPGTR,

Thank you for the thorough review. We deeply regret your experience wasn't up to par. We strive to provide impeccable service and we apologize for any misunderstanding with our security guards or gym team members. Additionally, we apologize for the noise disruption. Next time, our reservations department will happily book a room that better suits your needs. On another note, we're thrilled you enjoyed the Meatpacking District, as it is filled with delicious restaurants, energetic nightlife and more. We're also glad our concierge was able to point you in the right direction. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I has a date night and decided to stay at this hotel. We are coming from New Jersey so we ares very close so decided to go to dinner and stay over night. The ride is was a breeze. We arrived and were greeted by John who was fantastic. He welcomed us and answered and questions we had and also valeted our car for us. A great start to our day. We checked in which went smooths room was ready upon our arrival. We went to our room which was supposed to have a view of the Empire State Building. Yes we could see it but only the tip of it. So that was disappointing. My husband had ordered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and they were missing from the room. He called and they said they would bring them up at 3. That was fine since we were leaving for lunch.
We ate at plunge which was fantastic. Great view and food. Service was also good.
We went out to do some shopping and we got back to our room after 4 and still no delivery. My husband had to call back and see what was up and they apologizes and brought it right up. They did handle the fee for the mix up which was super nice.
We had a spa at 530 so I decided to call down to see if we could go early. When I called they said they did not have our reservation. When they went to see the problem they came back to tell me that we were booked for a spa at the park avenue hotel. They could not accommodate me at our hotel. This was very disappointing. When booking spa we calked the hotel we were staying in and even clarified that it was in the meat packing district. So when booking spa check and double check. We had to pay for a car to take us to the other hotel. Spa was great but very hectic.
When we went to get a car Raul who works at the hotel listened to our complaints and him and the other man working helped us get a ride. Upon our arrival back to the hotel Raul had told Valerie our issue and she apologized and gave us her card for anything we needed. Also gave us some vouchers for drinks. Super nice.
We ate dinner at scarpetta which is fantastic. We has dessert at the sugar factory which Raul told us about and again fantastic.
The next day we packed up and then went for breakfast at bubbys. Great food. We went to Chelsea market and as we were shopping we realized we had no idea what time check out was. I took out Valerie's card and called hotel. They told me no one by that name was there. Ok so I calked back again and it was an architectural firm. Really wrong number on business card.
We called hotel and they told me check out was 12 they said I could have until 1230 I asked for a bit more time they gave me 1. I was not impressed with this. We ended up leaving by 1215.
My husband and I laugh About how hectic our one night out was. We still had a great time. We are thankful for john and Raul and the offer guys working to greet you at the hotel if it was not for them we would never think about going back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Spyder625,

Thank you for the detailed review. We deeply regret your trip did not surpass your expectations and we apologize for any miscommunication. We aim to provide flawless service and we're disappointed you didn't feel well-taken care of. The chocolate covered strawberries and Champagne should have been delivered upon arrival and we deeply regret its tardiness. We also apologize for the misunderstanding with Exhale Spa. We appreciate your invaluable feedback as it will ensure all future visits are seamless. On another note, we're pleased John and Raul were helpful and we're glad you had a chance to enjoy the Meatpacking District's attractions. We'd love the opportunity to prove our dedication and provide an impeccable trip in the future. Please feel free to contact Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.