“Third time around: it's still good!”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #219 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 August 2014

What we've liked on the Gansevoort; the roof terrace, its location on buzzing Meatpacking, the closeness to the Village, the scenery of all these beautiful people hanging around on the streets. And the buzz during the night. Off course the hotel is not that hot anymore: we've seen complete families staying over at the G, the roof top bar was even quiet on a friday night, but the rooms are good, the bed was very good. The wifi was strong. We didn't use the breakfast service in the room, but used to have breakfast around the corner, in one of the many good places over there. Gansevoort might have lost some of it "hype & hotness", it is possibly more B&T then before... but who minds? It is still a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Repko,

Thank you for the great review and welcome back! It's always a delight having you and we're glad you enjoyed your experience. We're happy you loved our rooftop that overlooks the New York skyline and the lively Meatpacking District. It truly is a wonderful area filled with decadent dining, cultural attractions and luxurious shopping. We appreciate your feedback and your continuous loyalty. Until next time!

Gansevoort Meatpacking

Write a ReviewReviews (1,890)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I think I am too old for this place.

The hubby and I scheduled a romantic stay at this hotel (which we have done at various hotels around the city). Romantic it was anything but....

The hotel is loud and noisy. It also had a weird smell in the lobby and hallways. The room service menus left much to be desired and they don't pick up empty food trays left in the hallway with any regularity. The rooms are small (which is fine and typical of a NYC hotel), but the artwork in a word is cheesy and tasteless. The rooms aren't properly soundproofed so you can hear EVERYTHING that is going on in the other rooms.

This hotel tries to be what The Standard is - classy, fun and trendy. The Gansevoort is garish, classless and smelly. If you are a 21 year old trust fund baby/Sex in the City wannabe with no experience with classy or tasteful hotels, you will have a blast. This Upper East Side mom will take a pass.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jaimee A

Dear Jaimee A,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We deeply regret your visit didn't meet your expectations and we apologize you weren't pleased with your room. If you choose to visit again, our reservation team will be happy to provide a suite that better suits your preferences. We'd love another opportunity to prove our commitment and offer a seamless trip. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

A long weekend for a family function was infused with hip style by staying at this great locale. The room was very well appointed and had pretty good storage/closet by NY hotel standards. The front desk and doormen were very welcoming and concierge services were superb.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Annie P
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Annie P,

Thank you for the brilliant review. It was incredible having you and we're happy your family weekend was a success. We're pleased you enjoyed our ample-sized rooms and helpful team. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I ♥️ NYC ...almost every 2nd year I travel there for short stay, 3-4 nights. In the last 10years I tried different hotels in different areas but I always return with great pleasure to Gansevoort in Meatpacking. If you are looking for party time, city vibe, chic dressed people Meatpacking is the place to visit. Don't come to Meatpacking with the attitude of a retired person, wanting to enjoy a quiet walk in the park.

Gansevoort is located at the epicentre of lively NYC, has a great rooftop bar where you can always enjoy a drink, the scenery and pleasant conversation.

The room and especially the bathroom are spacious, bed is comfortable and ... you can even get your own Illy coffee machine in the room.

Come often enough to Gansevoort and you will be super pleased to discover your name embroided on a soft bathrobe.

Thank you Gansevoort staff for making my stay excellent as always.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank DP_Bucharest

Dear DP_Bucharest,

Thank you for the amazing review and welcome back! It's always delightful having you and we appreciate your invaluable loyalty. We agree, our rooftop oasis is an ideal place to enjoy a cocktail above the skyline with great company. We're glad you continuously feel comfortable in our spacious suites and enjoy our in-room coffee machine. We’re also happy you loved our monogrammed robes. It's the little things that can make a stay memorable. We’re looking forward to another amazing visit.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I walked in to the hotel around 11am, was greeted by a sharp guy and best of all, he said my room was ready.

Got to my room, must say it wasn't out of this world impressive. The BEST part of the room is the bathroom. Very modern décor in the bathroom and the shower head provided great showers EVERYTIME. I was very happy with that.

When leaving my room and walking in the hall towards the elevator the hotel staff that I ran into wasn't friendly at all. No, "hello, good morning, how are you?" The only people who were friendly, were housekeepers, no surprise there. When I was in the elevator, it stopped on one floor, a hotel staff member got on, again, not even a "hello." What's up with that? Where's the basic etiquette?

Nevertheless, the hotel is perfectly located in the Meatpacking. You're at the epicenter of places to dine and clubs/lounges to pretend to be cool at (if you're in to that sort of thing).

I didn't like that when coming back to the hotel in the evening you have to deal with guys dressed in TJ Maxx black suits. They're bouncers and nobody likes them. They are annoying to deal with and need to understand the concept of "here's my room key, I'm a guest."

There is a rooftop lounge, meh, it's alright. Nothing out of the world.

Overall, the hotel isn't anything out of this world, the best part about it is that it is located in the Meatpacking. I could tell that the employees try really hard to pretend that they're better than you to keep appearances. I think this place would be MUCH better if the hotel staff were more hospitable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Omar L

Dear Omar L,

Thank you for the detailed review. It was great having you, but we apologize your overall trip didn't surpass your expectations. We strive to make our guests feel at home and we regret you experienced otherwise. We'll be sure to relay your comments to the rest of our team to ensure all future visits are excellent. On another note, we're glad you loved the Meatpacking District. It's a wonderful area filled with a plethora of decadent dining, lively nightlife and entertainment. We're also happy you enjoyed our bathroom décor and high-pressure showers. We'd love another opportunity to prove our dedication and provide an impeccable stay. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Earlier this week I stayed at this hotel while I was in NYC for business. The location is great with plenty of shopping, great restaurants and the High Line within blocks. Also, the front desk team and valets were very friendly. That being said, there are a few things that made my stay at the Gansevoort a less than stellar experience...

Every evening there are partiers lined up out front of the hotel waiting to gain entrance to the club on the top floor. The partiers share elevators with guests and can be really obnoxious. When I attempted to get in an elevator on my floor, I was informed by the very drunk people in the car that there was "no room" and could then hear them laughing and heckling me as the car descended... Another elevator came and was also full. How about designating an elevator specifically for hotel guests?!

After my less than lovely elevator experience, I made my way to the lovely outdoor restaurant where I attempted to order a glass of wine. Unfortunately, they were out of the wine I requested. I then placed my dinner order and within a few minutes the waitress returned to inform me that the restaurant was out of the entree I ordered. Sigh...

While the room was clean, the bed comfortable, and the view a good one, my moderately decorated room felt more like a store than a place to sleep. Want to buy the little stuffed animal on the bed? $10. Fiji Water? $10. Shave kit? $20. Royal blue thong underwear? $22.

I have stayed in plenty of great hotels that also house very popular nightspots and lovely boutiques... I know it is possible for all three to coexist without sacrificing service, ambiance or credibility.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators full of drunk revelers... Their voices carry in the elevator shaft.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank shefdesign

Dear shefdesign,

Thank you for the detailed review. It was a pleasure having you and we're glad you enjoyed the Meatpacking District. It's a great location filled with a variety of delectable restaurants and luxury shopping. We're also happy you found our team to be friendly and we'll be sure to inform them of your compliments. On another note, we apologize you for your elevator incident. We understand your concern and appreciate your feedback. Next time, you might enjoy staying at our Park Avenue location with a dedicated elevator for hotel guests. We would love a second chance to provide a seamless trip in NYC from check-in to check-out. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I had a great experience at the Gansevoort. I had my three grandchildren 16yr, 13yr, and 12 yrs old.
They went to the hot tub and the pool in the evening after our outings during the day. We went to the Restaurants near the hotel and one in particular they loved was The Diner and we even had take out one evening to our hotel as it was late. It was a wonderful suite with balconies in each room. I must say it really is a fun place in the evening for the younger crowd like 25-40yrs group. I had to take all the fun toys and liquor out of the room and they did it right away. Everyone was great there. Thanks from all of us my family has wonderful memories of NYC. OH yes Taxi is the way to go from there to everywhere. ONly cost $50 to go to Coney Island with all 4 of us and $2.50 back via Subway each.

Room Tip: It was quiet where we were but I had three kids having a wonderful time in the evening in their room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Eva154995,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We're thrilled you and your family had a memorable experience in Manhattan. We strive to accommodate all special requests and we're glad our team was able to make your family trip seamless. Additionally, we're happy you loved our balconies that overlook the hustle and bustle of the Meatpacking District. New York has much to offer and it's great you had a chance to visit Coney Island. We appreciate your kind remarks and we'll be sure to relay them to the rest of our dedicated team. It would be our pleasure to have you again. Until next time!