“It is what it is”

Ranked #276 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cicero, Indiana
“It is what it is”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This is a relatively inexpensive hotel by NYC standards. It located near Times Square and if that is your destination this is a great choice. The room was adequate other than the heating/cooling. My room was suffocating hot. When I asked the desk if anything could be done about it they told me to open my window. I happened to be in a room where I did not have any street noise so that was not a bad solution for me, but if I had faced the street with an open window it would have been a sleepless night. The free wireless (selling feature) did not work in my room at all, but when I went to the lobby it worked fine. This is a no frills but serviceable hotel for a New York stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room in case you have to open your window if your room is too hot.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed 5 nights at the Hotel St. James, chosen after reading many positive reviews. This was our second visit to New York. On our first visit we stayed near the Empire State Bldg, but this time we wanted to be a bit north in order to meet family that were staying nearer to Central Park. The location of the St. James fit the bill, and during the time we were there we realized more and more how perfect the location is. We also found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and quickly adjusted to leaving the key at the desk. One staff member did say they will be switching to card locks soon and that he would miss interacting with visitors each time they came and left. We were a little "underwhelmed" by the condition of the the building, which we were told was 180 years old! For us paying the most we have ever paid for a hotel, seeing worn patches on the carpet as we got out of the elevator on our floor was a bit of a shock. The bathroom was tiny, with a pedestal sink with absolutely no place to put our toiletries. The bed was okay, and we were grateful that it was king-sized. A plus was that the room was very clean and made up each day by the time we returned. The desk staff recommended Junior's as a sit-down breakfast place and we enjoyed going there each morning during our stay. There are two deli's right next door. After our tour of the city we found we were quite close to "Restaurant Row" on 46th and are looking forward to exploring there next visit.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jubilada2009
Denver, CO
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We chose the St. James because of its location and the fact that the reviews for the hotel were positive. We knew we wouldn't be spending a whole lot of time at the hotel so we didn't worry that the amenities were basic. We loved that we were in a centralized location to everything we needed to do.

The room was fine for us. The entire room was very clean and the size was a bit small but that is exactly what we expected. The hotel is very outdated, but from our readings it seems that they are attempting to renovate. After 4 nights at the hotel the beds were killing out backs. We could feel the springs and the pillows were just incredible soft (not in a good way).

The front desk staff were always very nice. Joey stood out from everyone there. He always talked to us and asked us about our day. He was able to recommend something if we asked.

My biggest complaint was the "Concierge". The night we were going to see a show we stopped by the desk and told her what theater we were going to and asked if she could recommend a restaurant in the area. Her response (and I am quoting her) " I don't know, there are lots of places to eat around here". I responded by saying that I understood there are plenty of restaurants in the area but I was wondering if she could recommend a specific one. She said " No, there are plenty around here". I left the desk and my friend and I looked up a place around the corner on our phone. It would have been nice for her to actually tell us about a nice restaurant. Then the next day we walked down the concierge desk and said that we needed to schedule a shuttle to the airport. She informed us that we need to give 24 hours notice and since we were only giving about 5 hours notice we couldn't get one. That's fine, our fault. We told her we didn't know how long it was going to take to get to the airport and asked her if she could tell us how much time we should give ourselves to get there. She said she had no idea and couldn't help us.

Wow....Im not sure if I need to or maybe the management need to clarify what a concierge does but they clearly didn't know. We had just read how wonderful the concierge was and were really looking forward to getting some advice on where to go (shopping, eating, ect), but were wildly disappointed.

Despite the lack of help we got from the concierge, the hotel was a good place to stay and we weren't disappointed. You cannot beat the price for the location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mergarcia
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

I live in NYC and booked this hotel last minute for my parents as they decided to stay another day. Now I know why they had vacancies in this prime graduation season in the middle of time square! Unfortunately the hotel they stayed (and loved) did not have any availability for an extra day, and they are leaving the city with a very unpleasant last impression. Dinky, smelly hotel with rude and unhelpful staffs. Bathroom smells like urine and bugs are everywhere. We opened the window and immediately the smell of feces and garbage filled up the room. Minimal to no amenities- no coffee/tea, toiletries, fridge, microwave, of course no breakfast. One key only, which adds to the inconvenience.

I booked a few other hotels in NYC for parents over the past years and had travelled to different cities in different continents, but this is one place I would recommend to NOBODY for too many obvious reasons. Will leave you with a real bad taste in your mouth.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Tripadvisee84

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Midland, Texas
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This hotel is right in the heart of NYC. It is one block off of Times Square. It's a traditional hotel where you leave your key at the desk when you leave, which we loved because there were several of us and it made it much easier to come and go. We got an excellent price through hotels.com and stayed for 5 nights. There is a deli next door for breakfast and lunch, Irish Pubs one more door down, lots of street vendors and Starbucks on each corner. There were two drugstores within a block which we used for "essentials". The rooms were comfortable and air conditioned. Old fashioned private bathrooms which we thought were great.

Room Tip: Ask for one over looking the street. If you lean out far enough, you can see Times Square.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SMRGRL6632
Hobart
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Nice central location close to times square and a lovely foyer but thats where it ends. Rooms are very old and need updating. They are clean but this hotel lacks amenities that you would find in many other hotels.The staff are rude to say the least.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Saquarema, RJ
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Good location, good rooms but the Internet does not work, is very bad. If you need a Hotel with Internet I think you must looking for another one, because in St. James Hotel does not exist.
I do not know why they do not have a good Internet, today simple Hotels have a good one. Why not a good Hotel like St. James does not have?
But if you do not need Internet is a very goo place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends