“Good Times Sq Location”

Ranked #278 of 468 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Good Times Sq Location”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The rooms are small, not very amenities but you can't beat the location, 1/2 block from Times Sq. Prices are decent for mid-town Manhattan, won't break your bank. Unless you're looking for great views or you're spending a lot of time in your room (why in NYC???) then keep this place in mind if you're in town to see Broadway shows, you won't have far to walk and you can enjoy the pleasures of Times Sq at all times of the day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank handslol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the hotel. Although the property has some age on it, it was very clean and the staff was outstanding. The location to Time Square is wonderful. Housekeeping did an outstanding job keeping our room clean and stocked with fresh towels.A/C worked great. The beds were a little hard but I guess it is a personal preference as to what guest like.Negative point is that there is not a Cafe or snack bar, however the Cafe next door is open 24/7 and has good food and very reasonable prices. I would stay again if I get back to NYC.

1 Thank Beachnana4740
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for four nights during our visit to New York. The location is perfect for the tourists! The room was clean but it was small for three people. We stayed on the eleventh floor and we could hear the noise from down at the street. And one day I forgot something in the room and I saw the cleaning lady and she had left three rooms open and you could see the luggages and their stuff. I certainly wouldn't like these to be my stuff! So security is really important for me!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank eksg
Barboursville, Virginia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We didn't know what to expect. The hotel is very old, since before 1907. The rooms were typically small for NYC, but the bathroom had been redone and was nice. The hotel is having a lot of work done but at this point is seems to be structural work. The location is more than excellent. Times Square is just a block away but you don't get the noise of all the hub-bub on this block. There are no food/;beverage amenities at the hotel but there are two deli establishments right next door. Even ice! No ice at the hotel but for $.25 a cup you can get ice next door. Our room overlooked a building well which didn't allow natural light into the room. The AC is a window unit and heat is a radiator. On the same kind of weekend trip I would stay again in spite of the "old fashioned" accommodations. The hotel staff is very friendly and willing to do what they can for you. The location is perfect. In a room without a view you get lovely piece and quiet in the middle of chaos. The room was clean and adequate. If you want to brag about your hotel, you may not want to stay here. If you want clean and convenient, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: To get some piece during the night, ask for a room overlooking the building well. Otherwise your roo...
5 Thank R_Perfater
Essex
Reviewed 6 June 2014

A good basic hotel in the perfect position. Just a few steps and you're in Times Square and the centre of everything. We had a good wifi connection and hot water at all times. The room has been refurbished and was spacious. Staff were very helpful,

The only downsides, which didn't bother us at all but may be an issue for others are: no ice machine, torn carpet in the hallway which lifted as you walked over it, it looked a bit tatty but the room was fine. The air con unit was new, but the room sounded like the window was open as it had been finished off hap hazardly with UPVC cladding and silicone. ( this is New York after all so don't expect a silent night, I just think it wouldn't have been so noisy if the air con unit had been cemented into place instead, We had room 504), Also a shelf in the bathroom would be helpful, our toiletries were stored all over the place. We also didn't like the strategically placed envelope asking for tips for housekeeping, but we just ignored it til we checked out.

There is a locker room where you can store your bags when you check out for $5 for 24 hours and 2 delis next door. Although the hotel doesn't have any facilities, everything you need is on hand. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank no_1_queen
Portugal
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was at the St. James Hotel for 4 nights and here goes my opinion.
Yes you can go to this hotel with no concerns. I was at room 803 with 2 beds, it’s very big for a room at NY, it was a good surprise but the Wi-Fi does not work at this room (I found another Wi-Fi at the room that I could use, lucky me!)
It’s a clean room, very nice bed, the bathroom is fine with lots of towels. Plasma TV witch I dint use that much.
The staff is very nice and I have to dedicate a special word to JAY!! JAY I owe you one!! Big time!! Thank you for your trouble!!!
All rooms at this moment have AC.
It’s a noisy street so if you have trouble sleeping I must say that there’s a lot of noise and you can hear it inside the room.
The location it TOP! You have 2 Delis that are open 24h right the next door to the Hotel.
I really enjoyed the St. James Hotel, I do think the price is very good for what the hotel offers.

2 Thank rcoimbra
Sedalia, Missouri, Usa
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel has a great location just a block or two walk to Times Square. It was an affordable hotel, the staff was nice enough and helpful when needed.
Now the down side, no ice machine in the hotel and no coffee in the hotel. The deli next door sells cups of ice and coffee. The coffee tasted terrible no matter what the flavor it was all the same nasty taste. Starbucks is right down the street.
The carpet in the hall came up under the door in the hall and the door came back and hit me in the face, not bad but it shouldn't have happened. When I told the guy at the desk he had it fixed right then, but they did not even tape it down and I tripped on it on the way back. Cleaning crew forgot the toilet paper one day I was given more when I went down to ask for it. Sometimes the toilet ran all night long and at times there was not enough hot water in my daughters room. I accidently got the hotel soap in my eye while showering and my eye was bloodshot and burned like I had never experienced before.
this was a great hotel for us as we did not stay in the hotel much, too much else to do in New York. The rooms were clean. The location was great and the price was right. They need to work on a few things but all in all not bad for the location and price.
We were there for 4 days the end of May and first of June and we had two rooms.
Also the beds were hard and the pillows not the best but it was alright for a few days.
There is no pool or restaurant in the hotel, but you know this going in. No amenities

Room Tip: I did not hear anything from other rooms and we should have had rooms on each side of us. We were o...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family