“Convenient, clean, cheap”
Review of St. Marks Hotel

St. Marks Hotel
Ranked #412 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We naive stayed at st marks about 8 times. The rooms are very small but who spends time in their room in NYC? Subway close by and buses run on 2nd Street. Try the Mark burger just down the block. Great bacon sliders!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Emily F

Reviewed 16 May 2013

I just stayed there for 4 nights because recommendation from my friend (he might not know this hotel but random search for cheap hotel)
Before booking with this hotel, I had read so many reviews from here and was a bit scared since there are many negative opinions, but I booked at last because the price is very cheap :p
When I arrived, I had found that it was better than expected, actually I didn't expect anything from very cheap hotel (compared with nearby hotels), oh and AC was not functional, I told maid and it worked when I came back to my room.

The room was not very nice but good enough to stay, I didn't spend much time in the room anyway.
The room was not too small for me, plenty space to just place my luggage. I had stayed in the room about 3/4 size of this room in Japan, so this is just fine.
Outside room was a bit noisy sometimes since the hotel is at the corner and there is a bar below but I fall asleep easily so I had no problem with that (and I'm not sure if there were noises in the middle of the night because I never woke up at that time)
The location is great, just 1 block away from subway green line and 2 blocks from yellow line.
One, and the only, problem for me is shower... it was so DIFFICULT to control water temperature! it's always too cold or hot, if you have a chance getting appropriated temperature, don't waste that precious time!

I think I will stay at this hotel again if I have a chance visiting NYC in the future for the price reason.

Room Tip: Ask front desk for the lower floor, there is no elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 01NEB
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I have stayed at St Marks twice and about to stay a third time this July. I love the place for its location and value for money. Subway is only a block away. Restaurants galore in East Village. The pub downstairs is great for a drink at end of day and Rays pizza shop is a great breakfast. The rooms are clean and well maintained. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank MelissaB1973
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This hotel has a great location, clean rooms and is dirt cheap. Rooms are small and worn (but clean), street is noisy and comfort is not really a big priority. However, the price is the lowest of any NYC hotel we checked, and for the price it was good value.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the street. The view is worth little anyway, and the noise is less of a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LewisMogridge
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed here will working the TriBeCa Film Festival located near by. My friend and I got one room for the night for $140. Great price for the expensive NYC. It's located in a interesting area, filled with tons of different types of restaurants, a bookstore (St. Mark's Bookstop) that's open until midnight, and a movie theatre. We went to the bar below (St. Mark's Bar) and the food was great also.

The hotel room was small yes, but not that small for New York and not uncomfortably so. I thought it was cute. We had two twin beds and a TV (slightly messed up and with a random assortment of channels but who goes to NYC to watch TV anyway?).

I would stay here again but do note the hotel only accepts cash.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank prairiedances
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed at an inexpensive $150/night (for NY) hotel called St. Marks in the East Village. The only good thing about this place was its location. The room was furnished with Goodwill rejects, no dresser, no chairs, no desk, only 1 of 2 phones working, only 1 of 2 TV remotes working, no windows, a total of 2 towels in the bathroom, no hairdryer, and the room was infested with 2-inch roaches. When I complained, the only thing they did was send someone up with Windex to kill the roaches - WINDEX!!! To be fair there was a skylight that made the room so bright, I needed a blindfold to fall asleep. The only electrical outlets that held a cord were the ones in the bathroom. There were no ice machines anywhere on the property nor anywhere to purchase a cold bottle of water. There was no elevator which meant I had to go up 3 narrow flights of winding stairs to get to my room with my luggage, plus an additional flight just to get to the front desk. My TV satellite signal died after two hours. The water temperature in the shower (no bath) would turn cold for no reason every single time it was used. None of these things were ever addressed by the hotel staff nor was I given any compensation. In fact, when I asked for a late checkout, I was told in no uncertain terms they "don't do this". Did I mention the inside lock on the hotel room door was completely missing?

I could have overlooked many of the things wrong at this hotel had the staff made any attempt to fix them, but the huge roaches crawling in and out of my things and on me when I picked something up was the proverbial icing on the cake. I waited two days to open my suitcase when I got home, a can of RAID at my side, just in case.

Room Tip: NYC is not a cheap place to stay. If you can afford $200/night minimum, then you have plenty of pla...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jasmine M
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

I would stay here again but do note the hotel only accepts cash.

1  Thank prairiedances