“2nd stay as good as the first”
Review of Sohotel

Sohotel
Ranked #289 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Alexandria, Virginia
“2nd stay as good as the first”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I just love this quirky place. No frills, but plenty of character. Funky lobby, brick walls in the rooms,no cookie cutter furniture or rooms, no elevator, a person who shows you personally to your room, even when you don't have bags. Friendly staff. My October stay must've included an upgrade to a larger room with a nicer bath(not asked for and not advised), as the room this stay was pretty small and the bath was not as well appointed -tile vs. marble. However, unlike the last room, this one had a closet. Still we weren't there to linger in the room, but to see the city! Like last time the bed was comfy for the few hours we slept. No bedbugs either! A short walk to LES, Little Italy, Chinatown, SOHO. A good bargain.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank baltohon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I stayed in the SoHotel when we changed from our Midtown hotel half way through our stay.
Before I start the review, I have to tell you that it is NOT wheelchair friendly. There is no lift and access to the building is via a step of very steep stairs.
When we arrived, we were met by a set of very attentive porters, who were more than happy to take our bags up these stairs and then up to our rooms (for a tip of course).

The en-suite room I stayed in was not big, but managed to a double and single bed. There was a television, but no phone, which was a bit annoying as to get in touch with the Concierge, I had to walk down and then back up the stairs several times – I know that sounds lazy, but after walking around Manhattan all day, it’s the last thing you want to do when you get back to your hotel.

Towels and a hairdryer were provided and there was a television in the room. The room also had A/C.

Coffee and tea was available from the lobby, although I never partook, I believe it was free of charge.

There is a left luggage facility. Airport transfers can be arranged to JFK for a flat rate of $55.00 (this includes tip).

Room Tip: Put the A/C on as SOON as you arrive and leave it on!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank outonthelanai
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I read the Tripadvisor comments back and forth and wasn't sure if I should feel comfortable with bookoing the Sohotel.
BUT: The Sohotel was really great! Great in terms of location!
The price is fair for NYC standards.
Yes, rooms are tiny but so what? The rooms are clean, the bathroom is clean, the bed is very comfortable. Yes, the windows are NYC / US style and yes NYC is the city that never sleeps. Of course NYC is noisy - we then asked for a room facing the back of the bulding and not Broome Street - which worked well.

Over all:
Stylish rooms
Stylish hotel
Friendly service
A safe
Free Wifi
Great: it is so close to everything in Soho and I would definitely come back! I have been 5 times to NYC and this is the area I find most facinating, lively and interesting. All is within walking distance and public transport is close if needed.
So ignore negative comments about this hotel and book it! I have seen many hotels in NYC and many were worse for a higher or similar price. You like Soho? Go for the Sohotel! And yes: take ear plugs with you - it's NYC!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights at Sohotel as part of a trip that started in Vancouver and ended on Cape Cod. This was Sue's 1st visit to NYC so we wanted to be in Lower Manhattan. Sohotel was perfectly placed on the edge of Soho, little Italy and Chinatown. It was a short walk to the subway with the line going straight up to the the tourist spots - empire state, 5th ave, central park etc. We preferred Lower Manhattan and everything was in walking distance right down to the 9/11 site, wall st, the Hudson River. If you love shopping, Sohotel is perfectly placed. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and obliging and the service was good when we needed it. The rooms are small and even though we had a deluxe room with 2 double bed, which were very comfy, the room and bath were small with no room to swing a cat. Our one gripe was that the snooker hall at end of the road was very loud 2 nights out of the 4 into the early hours, but then we were so tired we slept right through it!!

• Stayed July 2011
Boston, MA
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I booked this based on reviews on this site and photos. I checked in on a Friday night. No elevators - 3rd floor. Fine, I like exercise. Room had slanted ceilings and was only large enough to fit the bed and a nightstand. No closet; no drawers. Bathroom only big enough to stand in. This place is not a hotel - it is a hostel or a redone YMCA boarding house. A "non-smoking" building, smoke wafted under my door after midnight. No one at front desk (oh, and no phone to call them anyway - would have had to use my cell).

Wanted some ice water. No ice. discovered the next morning that the ice machine is off of the lobby on the 1st floor, next to the soda vending machine and half empty snack machine. Window unit A/C was barely adequate - oh, and the halls and stairways aren't air conditioned - just the room itself. Place WAS very quiet and I slept well. Convinced myself that was all that mattered - all I use my room for in New York is to sleep.

Got up in the am and took a shower - cold water cut off completely part way through the shower. Got scalded. Then couldn't get cold or hot water from the sink to brush my teeth. Went to dry my hair and there was no hairdryer (even though all the ads said there were). Had to go downstairs to lobby to ask for one. Walked back upstairs and discovered that there was no electrical outlet at all in the bathroom. One plug in room for lamp - another for the alarm clock. Unplugged the alarm clock and plugged in the dryer. 3 minutes later the fuse blew - now no lights, no A/C (it was 85 degrees outside), and wet hair.

Checked out immediately. They refunded my deposit for the second night. Got a room at the W mid-town that only cost $50 more than this hell hole.

You are better off camping out - and it's much cheaper.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank FrequentGuest_11

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We came to NY with a crew of 7 guys. We got two doubles and one room with three beds. The triple room was so key. The price was right. Super clean. The lobby was nice and always had tea and coffee. Friendly staff. This will be my new spot. I'm always trying to stay in the LES, and THIS IS THE PLACE.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank samsmyth
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Very comfortable budget hotel in NYC. On the edge of Soho and Little Italy, there is so much within walking distance. The location itself makes this hotel worth the price. It looks exactly like it does in the pictures online and the staff were very helpful and friendly. They greeted us with a big smile and hello whenever we were coming or going, and the door guy wouldn't even accept a tip for helping us with our luggage.

GREAT value for money, comfortable beds, very clean, wasn't noisy or cramped. I went with a group of five people and we were all very comfortable there. When I go back to Manhattan I am definitely staying here!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends