“Very spacious rooms, great staff”

Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #111 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Danbury, Connecticut
“Very spacious rooms, great staff”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The pros:
Rooms are very spacious for a Manhattan hotel. I was alone in a suite with a separate bedroom and kitchenette. Ideal for families.
Staff is lovely. Very friendly and attentive.
Location is great, for me walking distance to Grand Central Terminal was an absolute plus

The cons:
Noise. Yes, this is Manhattan, but the windows in this hotel seem to block out the noise less efficiently than in others that I have stayed in in NYC. If you are noise sensitive, ask for a room away from the street (or maybe a bit further up - I was on the 9th floor).
Internet fees. In this day and age there should be free wireless in hotels in general, but especially for the business room rate I paid internet should have been free (was >10$ per day).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear girbit,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. As the General Manager of the Affinia Dumont I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our stay with us. Please be assured I have shared your feedback with our Executive team accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (887)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Visited NY for an anniversary holiday for a week and made the right choice in this hotel. Accommodated our requirements as per the booking and the view from our junior suite on the 25th floor was fabulous. The room was spotless and fully equipped for self catering. Note to UK travelling ladies - don't take your straighteners, they don't work in the US due to voltage differences!! Hair dryer provided, no nozzle on it though so beware if you're trying to straighten the curls.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Leapa,

As the General Manager of the Affinia Dumont I would like to thank you for posting your review of your stay on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Houston
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Location great. Concierge staff excellent. Jubar and co made us so welcome going above and beyond every day. Rooms v spacious.Could do with a little modernizing but perfectly adequate. full kitchen ++

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear David J W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Affinia Dumont. As the General Manager, I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

PINNER, MIDDLESEX
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My family and I were staying in another hotel in Madison Ave, for a special occasion, but as we have fond memories of the Affinia Dumont, we decided to call in and have lunch at the Barking Dog restaurant and bar downstairs. Well! We couldn't have been made more welcome. I am in a wheelchair and had had some problems with it that day. Without even asking Donald the doorman got me another wheelchair belonging to the hotel for me to use until I got mine sorted out. We were then greeted like old friends by George the bar owner and Bobby one of the locals, who has great stories to tell. In fact we were given a free bottle of champagne during our lunch.
If you want to be treated like someone special, then stay at this hotel or even just visit the Barking Dog. Many thanks again to Donald and his co -worker on the door.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Ir2helpu,

Thank you for sharing your incredible experience at the Affinia Dumont on TripAdvisor. I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am to hear of how our staff made you feel so comfortable and welcome. We look forward to welcoming you back soon as one of our most loyal guests.

Wakefield
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stay got off to a bad start. Despite booking and paying up front months in advance, the one bedroom suite I booked wasn't available the first night. As a result, I had a temporary room the first night and couldn't unpack and really get into things till the second day. Thanks go to Betsy on reception for staying cool even when I didn't, and for arranging for free wifi and a rebate and for my things to be moved the next day so I didn't have to stay in and move. The hotel is in a great location on 34th street and close to Empire State and Macy's. Having a kitchen was fantastic (I used fairways market on 2nd and 30th). Some have complained about the toiletries - instead of the usual little bottles, there are three fixed large bottles in the bathroom. I preferred it - it means that there is plenty of product and they smell lovely. Some reviews have complained about the noise. The rooms I had were on the 11th then the 25th floors - noise was fine on both (it's NYC for crying out loud) but they provide ear plugs in the bedside lockers which was a lovely touch if you do find it too noisy (I didn't need them and consider myself a light sleeper) The beds and pillows were fabulously comfy and the rooms clean and tidy. The hotel has a gym - which is fairly good if in need of a little decorating TLC. Overall, a great hotel that would have got 5* were it not for the room problem. Reception and concierge staff were all lovely and couldn't be faulted.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor - it's worth it to have a view of the Chrysler Building.
Green Features: The fixed toiletries in the bathroom mean there is less waste than with lots of tiny plastic bottles, and, as they are topped up regularly, there's plenty to go round.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Docwake,

As the General Manager of the Affinia Dumont, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. It is great to hear that our staff, especially Betsey, was able to turn things around to ensure we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed for one week with our family of 4. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the rooms (one bedroom suite with skyline view) and the comfortable beds. We had a great view, enjoyed the little kitchen and the spacious bathroom. Everything was clean; the deli around the corner and Empire state building and Macy's on walking distance. We would stay here again of we would visit New York another time!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear ANeutkens,

Thank you for taking the time to share how much you enjoyed our incredible Skyline Suites! As the General Manager, I am so pleased that your family was comfortable in our spacious rooms with amazing views. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed here for a bachelorette party for one night. This was the perfect hotel because with two adjoining rooms everyone was able to have a comfy bed to sleep in. Gerson was at the front desk and he was so friendly and helpful during the check in process. It was nice and smooth and he even gave us some great suggestions. The room itself has everything you need for a short or long stay. The beds are comfy, nice relaxing lounge area and a kitchen with all you need. This is a gem of a hotel in NYC! The wine hour was amazing. The women pouring was super friendly and kept our glasses full. The wine was also delicious! I would for sure book here again. It is pricey, but since splitting the cost that made it more affordable.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear JessR,

As the General Manager of the Affinia Dumont, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Sounds like you had a great time at our wine hour which is held daily in the lobby from 5p - 6p! We look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any future assistance.