“Location, location.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Location, location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The staff as very nice. The location of this hotel is what was the deciding factor. Everything was walking distance or a short cab ride away. They will hold your bags if you arrive early. If you do, expect to find something to do or just sit around and wait till check in time. You will find plenty of places to eat and get a drink if you just walk around the block. I gave it three stars because I expected something nicer for the suite with a view we paid for. River view was still nice. Furniture was worn, bed was hard, water pressure and temp were inconsistent on a per use basis.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Cristina R
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Cristina R,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. As the General Manager of The Dumont, I am pleased to hear our service and location exceeded your expectations. I am disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with your accommodations and would like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you. Please contact me directly at the Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dumont in the near future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

ve stayed here this month and I have to say is that in the pictures of the internet everything is better and more beautiful. Not that it's bad, but Practicing the price I expected more. the location is good, the room spacious, the kitchen is practical but overall is just a good hotel, nothing too much .
the young black woman who works at the concierge is released very arrogant, snobbish and need to learn to be very kind and good to meet foreign guests.
The reception staff and porters are very attentive and gladly serve. overall it is a good place but the next time I'll be a younger hotel. 34 st is too Crowded and full of Cars,and noise.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Paulo R
Dear PaoloR,

As the General Manager of the Affinia Dumont, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased to hear our team's service and our spacious rooms exceeded your expectations. I would like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you in greater detail as we would like to welcome you back as our guest in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

This my first time staying at an Affinia Hotel and my stay at the Dumont was great! The room was good sized and very comfortable in a fun neighborhood. They made me feel as if I was staying at my apartment in the City.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Travelinfun18,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to be your new "home away from home"! Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Excellet in everyway.
The rooms are great, big and confortable. The staff is very kind and willing to help at all times.
The Kitchen was everything I needed and more.
The location is also great.

I really recommended!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Luciana,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. As the General Manager of The Dumont, I am pleased to hear our location, service and spacious rooms exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Ahmedabad, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel from 27th May to 31st May, 2014 on our NYC trip recently. First the good parts:

Location on 34th Street is good. (A Dunking Doughnut and a grocery store next door are bonus)
Skyline suit does provide partial view of river and Chrysler Building
Check in/out were smooth and very fast
Rooms come with kitchenette

Not so good parts:

We booked thru the hotel's website as free wi-fi and wine were on offer. However, the wi-fi was not offered free. On check-in I was informed that wi-fi is chargeable. When I told them about hotel's website, they offered to give me 2 days wi-fi free. Here also there is a catch - you can connect only 2 devices. Anything more is chargeable!. When even coffee shops are offering free wi-fi, a hotel charging more than USD 300 a day not offering complimentary wi-fi is absolutely unacceptable. More so when the hotel website clearly states that if you book thru it, complimentary wi-fi would be offered.

Hotel does offer free wi-fi in the common lobby. Again there is a catch. Lobby, if I can call it a lobby, can only accommodate 4 guest at a time because only 4 persons can seat in a sofa with backrest. 2 more can sit on a bench which does not have a backrest. Remaining 2 seats are kept for computers which can be used for browsing (Printing is chargeable!).

Rooms are dated (at least 10+years old) with old bathroom fittings and bed is also very spongy. Carpet also shows its age.

Bathroom is also very old with very little pressure in shower. Strangely toilet paper was kept on the wall opposite the commode!

Towel quality was inconsistent (Initially we got good one but upon change, it got dirtier).

Bellmen is very greedy (the person works at around noon and would not leave unless tipped upto his satisfaction.

Not a single complimentary bottle of water is offered so if you check in late at night, you have to compulsorily consume their water bottle charged @ USD 7 per 500 ml.

Initially when I inquired about airport (JFK) taxi, I was quoted a rate of UDS 150 for an SUV which can accommodate 4 of us with our 4 suitcases. I didn't book. To my utter surprise, when I was actually checking out, I was offered the same SUV for USD 77!

Lastly, though I prepaid the full amount, I was charged and additional sum of USD 4.50 on my credit card after check-out without my consent and knowledge.

All in all, not a hotel which justifies its price of USD 300+ per day. Many better options in the same or better locations in Manhattan. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank traveller9972
Dear traveller9972,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As the General Manage of the property I am disappointed to read your review. We take great pride in our team's ability to provide the highest levels of service to our guests and it is reflected in our reviews and ranking on TripAdvisor. I apologize that we did meet your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel if you would like to discuss your experience in greater detail. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dumont in the near future.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was our first trip to New York, and after a very long journey we were really happy when we arrived at the hotel. The door staff and reception were very welcoming, the room was large and clean, with great views ( we were on 21st floor), and very comfortable beds. The kitchen area was a bonus - great to be able to make a snack and have proper cutlery and crockery with somewhere to wash them.

The free wifi in the lobby was fine; I was in holiday, I only wanted to check my emails every so often.

The location was also ideal, only 5 or 10 minutes walk to the Empire State Building, Macy's and Grand Central Station; and the nearest subway was just around the corner. Despite this is seemed a quiet location, with no traffic noise at night. I came across some of the other hotels I had considered online, and was glad I had chosen the Afffinia Dumont.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lucy P,

As the General Manager of The Dumont, I would like to thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that our location, service and rooms exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Wailuku, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

great neighborhood, lots of excellent dining within waling distance, easy to walk up or downtown, good staff, BIG rooms (which are so rare in NYC) for a reasonable price, if they would just comp in-room Wi-Fi, it would be PERFECT.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Dear mauigp,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Dumont and look forward to welcoming you back soon!