“day in New York”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“day in New York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Great hotel, with character, in a great location i.e. walking distance to multiple points of interest. Staff is outstanding and rooms are very convenient and spacious. The hotel gets out of its way to make your stay comfortable and memorable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sorocaba, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just came back from a two weeks vacation in NYC with wife and one kid 13 yo. Affinia Dumont was the perfect base for our shopping and touristic activities. Clean and spacious room, small kitchen for breakfasts, not fancy but very confortable. Free bikes! Just the air-conditioning could be a little better with better controls. The most notable characteristic though was the warmth enthusiasm of the staff, in special our friend Juber. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Floors above 20th for the wonderful view.
Green Features: Not sure, did not observe anything special except maybe the shower controls.
1 Thank Gustavo C
Albany, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

The Affinia was our home for 3 weeks. We had a corner suite on 30th floor with kitchen. Though they could have a few more basic kitchen utensils as having a child it was handy not to eat out every night. The view over Manhatten was totally incredible. The room was excellent. Clean. Well designed. Spacious. The 5pm wine hour was great each evening. The hotel is nearby all the sights- and those it is not nearby to there is a subway around the corner which takes you all over NY.
Our only negative was their less than simple payment system which caused us a few nightmares with holding and releasing money, etc but it was sorted out.
It is incredibly good value and probably best to book online through them as you then get free wifi for the duration of your stay.
Would most definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2014
Nixa, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in Manhattan many times usually at the Waldorf but since I was traveling with our 4 year old decided to explore a new option. So glad I did. I have never experienced anything close to the cheerfulness and friendliness of the staff here! They put everyone in the lobby in a good mood. My son really enjoyed exploring the view with the telescope. The kitchen was a great amenity as well! We will stay here again!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Scubalilly12345
Corinth, Texas, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We are here for 14 nights and are 4 days into our stay.

Being close to the 6 subway line is great. Lots of proximity to great things. Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, little grocery stores, Duane Reade across the street (but aren't they everywhere in NYC?!?!).

Room is huge. We are in a one bedroom king suite. It is nice to have a living area and bedroom when you are traveling with a kid.

The wifi is very slow. Although AT&T service is terrible in this area as well.

Nice to have a mini kitchen for a long stay. Don't have to eat out every meal. Can have cereal here, make sandwiches, keep drinks cold.

The laundry room is having issues. Washers are down with no ETA to be fixed. Called to find out if they offered laundry service where the hotel launders our clothes not me. Had a very rude person answer the phone. Number one rule - don't argue with the customer. I kept asking about laundry service. She kept telling me the washers were out. I could walk up the road to the cleaners or the hotel offered dry cleaning. I kept telling her I understood that the washers were out for the guests to use but does the hotel do laundry where I pay them to wash our clothes. Round and round we went. Not very nice.

Have not dealt with many of the staff but everyone seems to not be very friendly. However this might just be a New York thing. I am finding everywhere people don't seem to be in good moods around here.

I guess when I spend $4700 on a large sized room in NYC I was not looking for the Plaza in terms of expensive luxury conditions, but have not been greatly impressed so far. If my experience changes, I will let you know.

Malmo, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Let me get this out of the way first: The room was absolutely fine and the location perfect in Murray Hill. Spacious and clean.

Now, we prepaid our entire stay because it was cheaper and included Wifi. When we arrived jet lagged after a long flight we were informed that there had been some kind of mix up with the rooms. We were exhausted and New York City can be quite intimidating, so we didn't question this. The front desk informed us that they had to refund our previously paid amount and then charge us again for the stay. Because of the inconvenience we were bumped to a nice suite.

Everything was fine until we got home and no refund had been made to my credit card. I immediately contacted the hotel by email but received no reply. I called the hotel and was informed that they would immediately look into this matter and resolve it. After emailing receipts and booking information there was a bit of back and fourth emails over the next couple of days.

In the end I was informed that their systems showed that the refund was made and that I should contact my bank. The bank had no logs of any refund. After this I was informed that the accounting department of the hotel had to handle this matter because it was now no longer a front desk matter.

It has now been three weeks since I was promised to be contacted by the accounting department to resolve this issue. I have asked them again several times about the delay and the only response I have received was that the accounting department should have contacted me already.

I just had to pay the credit card bill and now we are down over $2000 because of this. This is completely unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank MrCheese0
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Dumont NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Mr. Cheese,

Thank you for your feedback. In reviewing your bill, it appears we have identified the issue and have rectified accordingly. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Jennifer Baldwin
Port Of Spain, Trinidad And Tobago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Had a wonderful stay July 17 to 24 2014. Went with my family and took two of the junior suites. They were comfortable sleeping 3 to a room and the higher floor room had a beautiful view of the Chrysler Building and East River. The Concierge, Donald, was excellent. All of his dining recommendations were spot on. The Murray Hill area has delightful little restaurants.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel