“Very Relaxing and Private”
Review of 102 Brownstone

We can't find prices for this accommodation
102 Brownstone
Ranked #37 of 76 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great, I loved it! It was a great location but also out of the way of the noise of the city. It is ideal for having a good night's sleep. It feels as if we had our own appartment in NYC.This is great for people that look to avoid feeling or looking too much like tourists!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The place is ok, but the owner is not reasonable on late checkout fees, he even charges for holding your luggage after you checked out. He only responds to text massages not calls..…..................

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Baboucarr C
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This was perfect for me, like a small apartment! Comfy bed, very clean. Cute bathroom and kitchen. Room for a family. Beginning of the street, one block to subway. Bank, shopping and restaurants all steps away. Would book again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Edith F
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I cannot really write about the quality of the rooms, because we had never had a chance to see it. Before booking this guesthouse we exchanged a few emails with, I guess, the owner to ask if late arrival (at midnight) is possible. It is of course possible for an additional fee of 20 dollars.

The day before our arrival we provided them all the info - arrival time, flights details and phone number and I even texted when we landed. What a surprise was that there was nobody at that place when we arrived. We called 5 times and nobody answer the phone. We also sent an email and there was no response either. We were left in the middle of the night in the dodgy neighbourhoodI After 20 mins we decided to move to the main street to find ANY hotel to stay in. The trip was super exciting because we were already being followed by 3 guys almost sitting on our backpacks. Luckily some nice lady helped us to find a hotel and walked with us until we got one. Luckily there are also some good people over there.
The guesthouse responded only the next day that they were there. I guess inside of the building, but we couldn't even check as there was no sign or instructions from them which apartment it was. Of course they did not return our money and they stopped responding to our emails. We did not even have idea who it is as they just called themselves "Your friends at 102Brownstone". Well, I believe we are not friends anymore.

They definitely know how to make money by asking people to pay the whole amount in advance and not show up or answer the phone.

Room Tip: There is no good room, if the owner does not show up
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank narff
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We had eight nights at 102 Brownstone, with very few complaints. We love Harlem - the culture, the people, the restaurants, the music - and we didn't experience any concerns regarding safety. We stayed in the Cafe suite which had a private ensuite, TV, DVD player, bar fridge and microwave. The room was neat and clean. The shower head was extremely powerful (too much so for us) but did the job.

We had some trouble getting let in the first time, but after 10 minutes, our cries for help were heard for one of Lizette's friends/relatives who let us in and explained she was out for the day. We didn't see her at all during our entire stay - which we didn't mind as we were quite self-sufficient, but I guess for some people this may be an issue.

The other problems we had were her limited options for payment. While we were overseas, Paypal had restricted our payment amounts and we were unable to use this to pay her (as she was not fully verified??). She didn't accept credit and so we had to pay in cash - which was quite a large sum for eight nights and required two trips to the ATM over two days.

All in all, we would come here again IF paypal / credit payment options were functional. It was a clean room in Harlem and apart from the payment stress, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed at 102 Brownstone for a week in September. The room was comfortable and had everything we needed, the location was close to the subway and the neighborhood was great with lots of restaurants and services that gave it a real neighbourhood feel. It was, to us, far preferable than staying in the hotel zone. The downside is that it takes about 30 minutes to get to Time Square factoring in waiting for trains so that once we headed out for the day, it was a full day. But definately worth it and we will stay at 102 Brownstone when we return to NYC.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gambol17
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I was happy to find room at this Brownstone as it is a quick 2 blocks from my sister's apt. It was unseasonably cold for june and so i was very grateful I never had far to go to getto bed. But the inn was disappointing. I rang a bell and waited and waited and no one came. I opeded the main door but then was stuck in the entrance way because the next door was locked.
It was night. It was cold and without Internet access i could not find the phone number luckily my sister was at home so i went there got on the internet and called. The innkeeper said she was in but in another room. I was pretty annoyed after flying and the longtrek from Newark airport, that she wasn'tthere when she had been pretty emphatic with me about the time I was arriving and that I call her if there was a change.
Finally i did go over, she was plesant took my bag to the room gave me the room door combination and the key to the main door.
I was inthe Marquis,which is a one bedroom apartment. The living and bedroom are one room. There's a good size kitchen with bistro table and two chairs, and a small hallway from the kitchen to the bathroom. The apartment is quite dark with frosted glass windows and burgundy velvet-like curtains.
The rug in the bedroom was fine but the hallway carpet both in the room and from the main entrance stairwell and hallways was so worn it gavea feel of the place being delapidated. it's not but it's obvious that major renovations need to be done. there were so many areas of the bedroom ceiling that were taped, that i wasn't able to completely rest easily.
I was there for only two nights. It was quite cold and i never found a heating switch so i wore a fleece jacket as i moved around the apartment.
The bathroom had a working jacuzzi tub but no plug forthe drain. I found the showerwater did notget hot enough and after about three minutes wouldactully get cold, so i never bothered asking the innkeeper for one. Did't fancy soaking in tepid water.
Don'tget mewrong if youneed tobe in Harlem, this is a good find if you can get a good rate. I paid$188 per night and didn't feel the place was worth that. There was no bath soap or shower gel so I bathed with liquid handsoapI found it hard to sleep the first night,notjust becauseof the ceiling, but because of dust. I got up and actually dusted everything next to the bed. Not much came up but in the morning i spotted a significant amount
On the inside ledge of the chest of drawers/tv stand.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Nolita
The Bowery House
The Bowery House
#31 of 76 in New York City

Been to 102 Brownstone? Share your experiences!