“A hidden gem in NY”
Review of 102 Brownstone

We can't find prices for this accommodation
102 Brownstone
Ranked #38 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 December 2010

We stayed there in December for 3 nights. The rooms are exactly like the pictures shown on their home page and the owners are very friendly and helpful.

The area is very nice and tranquil and makes a great retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city center. The metro is just 2 minutes walking, central park another 8 minutes and there are several good restaurants in the area. We had our breakfast every day at a nice place called "cafe latte", just 100 meters down the street. There is also a well assorted supermarket just across the street .

The price is reasonable and we would definetely go there again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 November 2010

Stay here if you want to feel like a real New Yorker. The 102 was a perfect location, so near to Central Park and the subway. Coming out the door down the steps of the brownstone was such a classic American scene. I stayed here with my family to celebrate my sisters birthday in New York. They were all new to NYC and loved it. It was a real gem to find such an easy going place that you could feel at home in. Rooms had plenty of space and all the comforts we needed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2010

My partner and I stayed at 102 Brownstone for seven nights. This was our first visit to New York.

We stayed in the Chalet Room, which is about the same size as a standard hotel room, with a small private shower room (no bath), plenty of storage for clothes, an iron, hairdryer, TV, DVD player, microwave, fridge, a couple of mugs and dishes, and a few knives, forks and spoons. It's certainly not luxurious accommodation, but it's not without its charm, and it's a comfortable place to crash after being on your feet all day.

Plus points: Cheap, comfortable, two minutes to the subway, pharmacy and supermarket right across the road, ATM machine just around the corner, busy community feel in the surrounding location, you get your own external key so don't need to be in by a certain time, landlady leaves you to your own devices so plenty of privacy.

Minus points: Lots of holes in the bed sheets which wasn't a deal breaker but seemed strange because the rest of the room was well looked after, no view out of the window except on to backyards and adjacent apartments (but if you're out all day it doesn't matter), we had to ask for fresh towels and for the room to be cleaned (but cleaning was thorough when it eventually happened and the holes in the sheets disappeared), bit stingy with the toilet roll(!), no coffee-making facilities.

All in all, a comfortable budget hotel, well worth the money, and well located for easy access to the city, but don't expect anything fancy.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank helen261
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Thank you for a lovely stay, already recommended to friends
Me and my daughter had a great vacation.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I received a friendly welcome from Lizette upon arrival at 102Brownstone, there was complimentary wifi - that actually worked 100% of the time! The cafe room was spacious enough for me and the bed comfortable and clean.

I liked the details:
In the bathroom -complimentary toothpaste and lotions
In the bedroom -plenty of clothes hangers, iron and ironing board, microwave, fridge freezer and obligatory free coffee

There wasn't a view to speak of (a back yard) but let's face it, you're not in New York to stay in your room all day right!?

The area
Mention the name Harlem and your friends take a deep breathe and warn of dangers lurking in the shadows, I have to say I felt completely safe at all times even when returning home via the subway late at night. Just act responsibly and don't advertise your new camera or state of the art electrical equipment and you'll be fine (the same as most of New York actually). The 2&3 subway is two streets away so you can be on your way to the action in downtown New York in under ten minutes.

Get the unlimited metro card and you'll pay $8.25 a day - good value if you want to explore the city and aren't staying 5 days or more.

Overall I would recommend 102 Brownstone to anyone who is independent and happy to venture out a little further from the heart of Manhattan and save big bucks when compared to typical midtown hotels. Good value - I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Andy2505
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I had read reviews on how wonderful this place was and only a few poor reviews. I decided the good reviews outweighed the poor ones and e-mailed my reservation on May 20, 2010. I called back and spoke with a gentleman with a French accent who told me he had received my reservation and that I was "on the schedule". When my credit card had not been charged according to what was specified on the reservation form I called to see if there was a problem with my credit card and less than two weeks before my trip I was told that they had never received my reservation and that their establishment was completely booked, but that if anything opened up they would give me a call. The young lady I spoke with was cordial or I would have given this place a terrible review. It seemed like a nice place to stay and I would have liked to stay there, but found a less expensive alternative with a full hot breakfast 10 minutes outside the city with shuttle service to Times Square. I read at least one other review where 102 Brownstone lost another traveler's reservation as well, in the same fashion. It was very stressful to try and find a place to stay that met my same budgetary needs less than two weeks before my trip, but thank goodness I did!! 102 Brownstone needs to keep better records!! I thought all the good reviews outweighed the bad ones until this happened to me.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jnrguerra
Reviewed 14 September 2010

My friends and I spent three nights during the Labor Day weekend there, and fell in love with the place. We had two adjoining rooms and a private lobby: everything was nicely decorated in a warm, inviting and cozy style.

Our rooms were equipped with microwave, bar fridge and some utensils: and a supermarket within walking distance meant we could keep freshs snacks and breakfast. The beds were large and comfortable, and the shower was spacious.

The hotel is within walking distance of the 2 and 3 subway lines, and a short walk away from the Northern tip of Central Park.

While some parts of the rooms showed wear and minor damage, it was overall a great stay.

Make sure to BOOK IN ADVANCE! While we did plan on our trip on a busy weekend, we made reservations all the way back in March or April, and ours were the only rooms left.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends