See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 May 2011

It turns out (after getting glares from the actual tenants who live in this building) that tourists are not only unwelcome here, but being put into these rooms ILLEGALLY. In other words, the city could come in and shut down the illegal hotel at any minute and put all of the paying tourists out on the street. What then? Not to mention that it turned out the nasty glares we were getting from the residents were because the landlords had evicted low income elderly tenants in order to illegally rent their homes out to people like us, paying lots more money. The whole thing is a nasty, dirty scam that made me feel really badly that I helped reward these awful people for breaking the law and breaking up families.

And there there were the prostitutes doing "business" out of the rooms there. The police showed up three times in one night just trying to shut them down. It was scary and awful and made me feel like I had wasted my money here.

What may once have been nice floors are now warped and dirty. You can actually see the food ground into the split seams on the floor. Its disgusting. And as others have mentioned, the couches are beyond filthy. Once I found out about the prostitutes, I started wondering if that's what made these couches so stained and disgusting.

Definitely stay somewhere else. ANYWHERE else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sunnyjell
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Im a 26yr old male that has been to nyc many times. As soon i arrived there were problems. The front desk was extremely rude. It took 2 HOURS for my room to be ready (i arrived at 5pm). Then we got our room and they literally stuck a bed and a bathroom in a closet and called it a studio. The place was filthy, all the furniture was messed up and old. Seriously messed up my little getaway with my fiance. Thi splace is a total dump and anything you want including the smallest things like a simple room cleaning will cost you a min of 50.00usd. Trust me just go to a hotel with a more creditable name. Dont even both trying to call there main office , there even more rude and place you on hold for atleast a half hour before you speak to the manager. Hell in nyc should be the name.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jameslover
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel with two friends. The double bed was fine, but the sofa bed was horrendous - imagine the worst sofa bed you can with a metal frame, the odd spring a whole heap of creakiness!

Given that the location is quite good it was good value for money. We did not use the kitchen, mostly because the sink smelt quite bad and we were not there long enough.

This hotel suited our trip and we got what we paid for with no nasty surprises.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Overall it's a good place - good value for money. But, it's a little on the dodgy side: the bed was uncomfortable, the turntable in the microwave didn't work, the 2 bar stools were broken and couldn't be sat on, and there was no hot water for most of 1 of the days. But, in saying that, for what we paid, I was willing to put up with that. On the plus side, the room was big, it cable TV, and a kitchenette.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Poorly advertise doesn't have a kitchenette it's a hot plate! No Sofa bed...and the staff isn't great at all...We will never look at this place again when in NY

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business