“Location, location...”

Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #33 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This charming apartment is in New York's upper east side, between Madison and Fifth Avenues, immediately across from the Jacqueline Onassis reservoir within Central Park. It is within a safe, quiet residential neighborhood with several small restaurants, grocery stores and within an easy walk to the subway on Lexington and 96th. It is well within walking distance to Museum Mile, Central Park and upper Park Avenue. We stayed in the Fox apartment which has a charming outdoor patio and a jetted tub. Flatscreen TV and WiFi were nice although we spent little time in the room, other than sleeping and preparing to go out. There is a mini-fridge and microwave within the apartment. Be aware that the units are up flights of steep, narrow stairs and there is no elevator. While somewhat "rough around the edges", the units are comfortable and the manager was always available to answer questions and address concerns. We were able to store our luggage at the apartment prior to and leaving NY. Be aware that this is NOT a bed and breakfast (there is no coffee or breakfast on-site, but notable restaurants in the area are Yura on Madison, Sarabeth's, and Gina la Fornarina. There is a Starbucks on 96th and Madison and other coffee shops nearby. Overall, a nice alternative to high-priced, noisier accommodations in midtown or downtown. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The Fox unit is on the back side of the building...absolutely no street noise and a nice outdoor pat...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank SunriseAddicted
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review! We always want our guests to have a great time, so it makes me happy to know you enjoyed your stay so much. I hope that you'll come stay with us again soon so we can give you that "excellent" experience I know we're capable of!

Best,

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This was perfect for my trip because I was visiting with friends in the neighborhood. This brownstone has some old charm and there are plenty of places to get breakfast in the area as well as everything else. Despite the Riddex machine plugged into the living room, I made the acquaintance of a centipede strolling across my bedroom wall. He left when I chased him out the door. I met the manager in my 4th floor apt. (which was still being cleaned, not a problem.) on checking in on Friday during some construction in the entryway. I never saw another soul until I returned from breakfast on Sunday morning at 10:45 to pack and relax before my 12 noon check-out time. My room had already been cleaned(although I had left the door locked), so I just had to pick up and leave. My apt, MacKenzie was spacious, perhaps needs some paint.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kal0Taxidi
Robin H, Manager at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Perhaps if you wish to complain about the room needing a paint touch up, you shouldn't complain when there is minor renovation going on.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stay the Night was very clean with comfortable beds. We were on the third floor and there is no elevator. There was a small refrigerator and microwave in the room. We were there during two days of rain and the second afternoon when we returned to our room, the ceiling in the bathroom was leaking and the sink, commode and floor were very wet with standing water. We called the manager on his cell phone but he was out and said he wouldn't be returning until 9:30 pm. He suggested we get a bucket from under the sink and put it under the leak and clean up the water with some rags that were under the sink. Someone returned and wiped up the bathroom again later, not the manager, and shoved a wooden hanger in the hole in the ceiling to direct the stream of water into the sink but that didn't work for long.

Room Tip: Be sure if you stay on the third floor that you are prepared to climb the stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karin M
Robin H, Manager at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

It sprung a leak during a three day rainstorm. I wasn't in the building at the time, but I was able to direct the guest to use the provided bucket to catch the leak; which is all that I would have been able to do had I been there. I was the one who cleaned it up later, not an employee. I was not able to fix the leak until the rain stopped (the surface needs to be clean and dry) but I had it repaired within 12 hours of the rain stopping. Our roof is well maintained but unfortunately things happen and the best we can do is to manage the crisis as well as we can, which I am confident that we did.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

My friend and I just got back from a 4 night stay here and it was lovely! Our trip to the city was just for writing research, so we were trying to spend as little as possible. We stayed in the cheapest room ($100 a night) and it was even better than we'd expected! Our room was actually bigger than we'd anticipated and we were really excited that there was a loft/shelf bed above the dresser! The room we were in on the top floor shares a bathroom with the room next door, which was fine. We made friends with our neighbors! The neighborhood is great, right across the street from Central Park, and not a far walk from the closest subway station. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lauren D
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

It makes me very happy to hear that you were so pleased with everything during your stay, Lauren! I'm glad your room was to your liking, and of course it's great that you made friends with your neighbors. I hope you'll come and visit us again soon!

All my best,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was our second time staying at Stay the Night. We previously stayed in the Fox Suite, which had a great balcony and was on the back of the building. This time we spent 5 nights in the Cecelia Suite. It was larger, and on the front of the building. We love the charm and character of this great old building. Parts of it are a little shabby, but that doesn't bother us. The location is perfect for walking to Central Park, museums, shops, restaurants, and bars, as well as being close to the subway. We like being in a residential neighborhood, but close to other activities. It is also a great value when compared to hotels. We will definitely stay here the next time we visit New York.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue O
Robin H, Owner at Stay the Night Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thanks for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor, Sue. I'm happy to hear your second stay was as charming as your first! As you say, we've got a great location -- it's wonderful to be in a residential neighborhood that's close to all the best NY attractions. I hope we'll be seeing you again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed our short stay at this location. Conveniently located, and wonderfully priced. We stayed in the Cecilia room, which was plenty spacious. We loved how "homely" it felt, as opposed to the hotel feel.

Our only complaint/drawback that prevents a five star rating was the uncomfortable mattress. I'm not sure how the other rooms were, but this suite featured dual twin beds, that combine into a king/queen size bed, which is not an issue, the mattress is just too firm for my liking.

We would definitely recommend

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jesse H
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Spent five nights at Stay the Night in the one bedroom apartment (MacKenzie Suite). There were three of us, adult couple and a 16 year old, and the apartment served us very well for our stay. It is on the 4th floor in a lovely old building. We were aware of the stairs beforehand so no issue. The apartment is well fitted out and very light and homely (although a bit tired around the edges) and like most places in NY, includes free wi-fi. Although a bit noisy at night if you open the windows (to be expected in NYC) the neighbourhood was very safe and we found the location to be very convenient...1 minute to Central Park, an easy walk to the Guggenheim and Met Museum of Art, lots of nearby restaurants and a grocery store, and a short walk to the subway. Several times we walked into the city through Central Park as an alternative to the subway / buses. I would definitely recommend Stay the Night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family