“Exceptional honeymoon!”

Soho House New York
Ranked #307 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed at Soho House NYC for 11 days for our honeymoon. We wanted some time to chill out but to also have so much to do on the doorstep. Soho House was the perfect choice. It was brilliantly located in Meatpacking District with fantastic restaurants and bars on every corner.

We also chose Soho House because the rooms are amongst the largest hotel rooms in New York. I don't think I've ever seen such a well equipped hotel room in my life - our room had everything in it from an umbrella to new underwear! The room is filled with lovely Cow Shed products - so no need to pack bags of shampoo and shower gel. The beds are extremely comfortable and the cleanliness of the room (chamber maid service) was second to none.

The staff really made our stay - they are all so friendly and welcoming. The concierge Jonny managed to get us some impossible reservations in the coolest restaurants & 'must see' shows that we had been unable to book ourselves.

The only slight issue with Soho House is that everyone wants to get on theroof. But as a guest at the hotel, you can generally get up there first and secure a spot before the masses arrive. Night-time is particularly fun - lying on the loungers with a cocktail in hand on a hot New York evening - a very cool crowd, but also fun and friendly.

If you are young at heart, and really want to sample the best of New York - food, nightlife, interesting people - then this hotel is definitely for you.

As someone who loves to sample different hotels (sometimes in a single trip) I don't think I will ever stay anywhere else in New York again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gadaboutLondon

Reviewed 3 June 2011

What a shame... not that it wasn't good fun, and coming from past Soho House experiences in Berlin and London one would only expect an uber experience for the price... but what a disappointment to be plagued by gross error. Little things aside, that all hotels can improve upon, and that's what they should want to do, the credit card errors, the food allergy snaf-fu's and the sticky sweet receptionists who put on a good facade but then drop the ball on dinner reservations, et al... not cool.
I still like Soho House, will (perhaps, regretfully go back) but let's hope they snap out of their, "we're the cool kids on the block" attitude and give their hotel guests the attention they deserve instead of turning their noses up at and reserving attitude for their "member's only" crowd. oh.... wait! Silly me, this is NY (?!?!) Too many places in this day and age not to be more mindful....

Room Tip: Taxi's honk for fares from 2 a.m!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kchanoi
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I came with friends to stay in the NYC Soho House after one of the best experiences ever at the new Miami Beach location. I was hard-pressed to think the service, amenities, rooms, food...could be matched, but my expectations were exceeded with the vibrance of the meatpacking district right outside our doorstep, some of the tastiest summertime cocktails flowing on the roofdeck with remarkable river and city views, and our rooms (between our group we had 3) were impeccable....each uniquely designed and just so so tasteful and comfortable. Not to mention the Cow Shed spa....best massage I've had in niew york. Let me just say....I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank laurencochran
Reviewed 25 May 2011

The Soho Group's Babington House hotel is excellent, so tried their New York outpost recently - It was a big disappointment.

The narrow reception is dark, as is the whole hotel, including the landings, corridors and the restaurant/bar. The rooftop, including the pool (one of the main reasons I went there) was closed, though this had not been flagged on the website. Staff were fine - chirpy and friendly.

The room was small and the furnishings old. The eclectic style might have worked when the hotel launched, but it is jarring and faded now. The media system was so complex it needed multiple instruction booklets, which all warned that if you have problems, call a member of staff. In the end, I had to do that – to make the TV work.

The place is also noisy – heard people clearly in the corridor and from a party in a nearby room until very late.

Although the Meatpacking location is quite cool - especially if you are a Sex in the City fan - the rooms have no view to speak of. The bar/restaurant is dark - good for night time when it buzzes with a hip media crowd. But it’s too dark and dingy during the day.

Getting into Soho House (a private members' club) is regarded as cool. It’s that exclusivity and the associated celebs that give this place its cachet (cf the reviewer excited that J-Lo stayed there).

So unless you think it’s really, really fab to stay at Soho House, then I’d try one of the much newer hotels downtown – eg. Mondrian, James, Crosby Street.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jafarcakes
PDourneau, General Manager at Soho House New York, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Dear Jafarcake,

Thank you for your comments, and we appreciate you staying with us at Soho House New York. I'm glad you enjoyed our staff, the atmosphere and crowd (during the evening), and the location.

I do appreciate your feedback on the rooms. While the size of the rooms is usually one of the highlights we hear from guests, I'm sorry this was not the case for you. All of our bedrooms are uniquely designed, of which no two are alike and we would be happy to have our staff give a quick tour of the rooms for your next time with us so you can choose one to your liking.

Additonally, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment of our bedrooms, alongwith the Drawing Room, Bar, and Restaurant. We started with the Roof- and unveiled a completely refurbished Roof this Spring. The Roof is always open- but it in terms of service and the pool- it is open depending on the weather.

Thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon- and would love to have you return. Don't hesitate to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

Best wishes,
Pierre Dourneau

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Best hôtel in ny. Not cheap but worth the spend.best roof pool and aperitivo in thé city.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Where to start? The bedroom was not a bedroom. More like a loft. The only way to enjoy NYC. The staff are friendly, the food is excellent. The room service divine. I loved the Cow Shed Spa. Great steam room.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank hwoodhills
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Stayed here with a girlfriend in match for a five day city break and what can I say??? We are regulars to NYC going each year, but this is the first time we stayed in the infamous soho house and will definately return later in the year. The location was fantasticpastis and the gaslight etc. Staff were friendly and accommodating to us and even kept our excess luggage when we went to Florida for a few days. Chic trendy bar, cow shed spa is a must visit.
What can I say about the room except ive never stayed in nicer! Absolutely massive! Had every amenity under the sun! Loads of products and a full stacked kit of essentials eg band aids etc which was very helpful!! J-lo stayed in our play house apparently before we arrived. This hotel is a must!

• Stayed: March 2011