“Great place highly recommend!”

Soho House New York
Ranked #306 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Edinburgh
“Great place highly recommend!”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I visited here a few days ago with a friend and I was impressed at how lovely the setting was at the rooftop terrace! Luckily had some great weather! It also had a swimming pool which added a nice touch however I was put off when some other members of the public decided to jump in in their underwear! Not very professional! Also the toilets were pretty smelly!

It is a lovely place to drink, not the cheapest of places but they do a mean mojito!

• Stayed September 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
NYC
Reviewed 11 August 2011

First, let me say the rooms are stunning. There was a giant king size slay bed in the room with a huge bath tub right in front of the bed. I thought the rooms were particularly large and well decorated. The pool area on the roof is also a lot of fun. It can get pretty packed and if you want a spot beside the pool you'll need to show up early in the morning. The pool service is great, the drinks are awesome and food is also great, much better than what you'd normally expect for pool side food. I would highly recommend the soho house NYC.

Room Tip: Not sure, I think all the rooms are large and well decorated.
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at Soho House for a special occasion and were not disappointed with our stunning room. It really felt like we were New Yorkers in our own Meat packing district loft. This was our second stay in 5 years and in my opinion the hotel has just got better.

The experience is a little different than a classic top end hotel service experience, this place is more private club, home from home, you are treated as a club member- I personally love this approach. It felt like we belonged!

We were delayed returning home by snow fall and ended up spending many more days than intended in NYC. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home and keep us occupied at their own cinema, offering to show films we wanted and with in house events.
Soho house made sure we had a room at a very busy time of year, even though we were booked to leave days before we did. We even got upgraded to a suite for a while. In the end we ended up staying for Christmas and getting Christmas presents from the staff and for New year, for the Soho House party, which was free to guests and a great bonus.

Oh and the Spa is wonderful. the staff are some of the most qualified in the world for massage (NYC requires many years training like a degree). I highly recommend the lovely Helena for a treatment.

One thing that took a while to get used to was that the front desk often ask if you are a member and forget you are a guest, due to the sheer amount of comings and goings at reception. We soon got to know all the front desk staff so this wasn't a problem. We also got some great recommendations of places to visit and restaurants reserved for us, including Thomas Kellers Per se.

I love this place and becoming a member and staying again is high on my agenda.

Room Tip: floor on a high level and away from the side street and front to avoid honking taxis late at night
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellingworldnow
London
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed at Soho House NYC for 11 days for our honeymoon. We wanted some time to chill out but to also have so much to do on the doorstep. Soho House was the perfect choice. It was brilliantly located in Meatpacking District with fantastic restaurants and bars on every corner.

We also chose Soho House because the rooms are amongst the largest hotel rooms in New York. I don't think I've ever seen such a well equipped hotel room in my life - our room had everything in it from an umbrella to new underwear! The room is filled with lovely Cow Shed products - so no need to pack bags of shampoo and shower gel. The beds are extremely comfortable and the cleanliness of the room (chamber maid service) was second to none.

The staff really made our stay - they are all so friendly and welcoming. The concierge Jonny managed to get us some impossible reservations in the coolest restaurants & 'must see' shows that we had been unable to book ourselves.

The only slight issue with Soho House is that everyone wants to get on theroof. But as a guest at the hotel, you can generally get up there first and secure a spot before the masses arrive. Night-time is particularly fun - lying on the loungers with a cocktail in hand on a hot New York evening - a very cool crowd, but also fun and friendly.

If you are young at heart, and really want to sample the best of New York - food, nightlife, interesting people - then this hotel is definitely for you.

As someone who loves to sample different hotels (sometimes in a single trip) I don't think I will ever stay anywhere else in New York again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gadaboutLondon
hanoi
Reviewed 3 June 2011

What a shame... not that it wasn't good fun, and coming from past Soho House experiences in Berlin and London one would only expect an uber experience for the price... but what a disappointment to be plagued by gross error. Little things aside, that all hotels can improve upon, and that's what they should want to do, the credit card errors, the food allergy snaf-fu's and the sticky sweet receptionists who put on a good facade but then drop the ball on dinner reservations, et al... not cool.
I still like Soho House, will (perhaps, regretfully go back) but let's hope they snap out of their, "we're the cool kids on the block" attitude and give their hotel guests the attention they deserve instead of turning their noses up at and reserving attitude for their "member's only" crowd. oh.... wait! Silly me, this is NY (?!?!) Too many places in this day and age not to be more mindful....

Room Tip: Taxi's honk for fares from 2 a.m!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kchanoi
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I came with friends to stay in the NYC Soho House after one of the best experiences ever at the new Miami Beach location. I was hard-pressed to think the service, amenities, rooms, food...could be matched, but my expectations were exceeded with the vibrance of the meatpacking district right outside our doorstep, some of the tastiest summertime cocktails flowing on the roofdeck with remarkable river and city views, and our rooms (between our group we had 3) were impeccable....each uniquely designed and just so so tasteful and comfortable. Not to mention the Cow Shed spa....best massage I've had in niew york. Let me just say....I will be back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank laurencochran
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

The Soho Group's Babington House hotel is excellent, so tried their New York outpost recently - It was a big disappointment.

The narrow reception is dark, as is the whole hotel, including the landings, corridors and the restaurant/bar. The rooftop, including the pool (one of the main reasons I went there) was closed, though this had not been flagged on the website. Staff were fine - chirpy and friendly.

The room was small and the furnishings old. The eclectic style might have worked when the hotel launched, but it is jarring and faded now. The media system was so complex it needed multiple instruction booklets, which all warned that if you have problems, call a member of staff. In the end, I had to do that – to make the TV work.

The place is also noisy – heard people clearly in the corridor and from a party in a nearby room until very late.

Although the Meatpacking location is quite cool - especially if you are a Sex in the City fan - the rooms have no view to speak of. The bar/restaurant is dark - good for night time when it buzzes with a hip media crowd. But it’s too dark and dingy during the day.

Getting into Soho House (a private members' club) is regarded as cool. It’s that exclusivity and the associated celebs that give this place its cachet (cf the reviewer excited that J-Lo stayed there).

So unless you think it’s really, really fab to stay at Soho House, then I’d try one of the much newer hotels downtown – eg. Mondrian, James, Crosby Street.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Jafarcakes
PDourneau, General Manager at Soho House New York, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Dear Jafarcake,

Thank you for your comments, and we appreciate you staying with us at Soho House New York. I'm glad you enjoyed our staff, the atmosphere and crowd (during the evening), and the location.

I do appreciate your feedback on the rooms. While the size of the rooms is usually one of the highlights we hear from guests, I'm sorry this was not the case for you. All of our bedrooms are uniquely designed, of which no two are alike and we would be happy to have our staff give a quick tour of the rooms for your next time with us so you can choose one to your liking.

Additonally, we are currently undergoing a refurbishment of our bedrooms, alongwith the Drawing Room, Bar, and Restaurant. We started with the Roof- and unveiled a completely refurbished Roof this Spring. The Roof is always open- but it in terms of service and the pool- it is open depending on the weather.

Thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon- and would love to have you return. Don't hesitate to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

Best wishes,