“What a hotel!, You've Got to Give it a Go.”

Soho House New York
Ranked #307 of 468 Hotels in New York City
York, United Kingdom
“What a hotel!, You've Got to Give it a Go.”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This is just a the perfect place for staying in NYC, we stayed for three nights in one of there BIG rooms!, the room and hotel is very clean and well kept, the staff are so polite and helpful, such a change from the normal british service!
The hotel is in a good location in the meatpacking district, its quiet and easily accessible by the subway or cab.
The food is great, good sized portions and so tasty.
Go to this hotel, its a real treat, spend the extra and enjoy the whole NYC experience in style

Room Tip: Go for the big room!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Marvellous. Had big room....lovely. Quality of end is spectacular. Soho House have nailed quality when it comes to the bed! We were on 3rd floor and it isn't noisy on this floor and the rooms have all been refurbished, friends were on 5th and moved to our floor as it was noisy....they were right under the bar area and said they could hear the conversations people were having in the bar when they were sleeping. They phoned reception and the staff moved them instantly.....so great service. Love the cowshed products. Person in the room next to us on our first night were like it like rabbits....sadly the walls aren't soundproofed....be warned! If I was trying to give some constructive comments, try and avoid rush hour bath times as the hot water tends to become closer to warm water.....would I come back and stay here again. Most certainly....!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor has just been refurbished and it is a quiet floor. Try and get your room on this floor. If...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LadyPrimrose
St. Vincent
Reviewed 21 November 2012

We had a great time at the Soho House. Very friendly staff and fun bar. We loved the High Line and it was great because we could walk around and do lots of stuff and come back to rest. The only thing I would say is that I hope the animal skin furniture is faux:) But the bath tub was sensational.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
SilverShadow
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I just got back from Soho House NYC and had a great stay. I got caught up in Hurricane Sandy and the staff at the hotel were fantastic throughout.

I had room number 3, a Playhouse, which was one of the newly refurbished rooms on the 3rd floor. The room is enormous, the shower and bathroom excellent and the overall decor very cool and comfortable. A special mention also for the housekeeping team - they changed the sheets daily and made it feel as good as new every morning.

As the hotel was down town, it lost power in the hurricane. It was a couple of days before we could move to an uptown hotel and in this time the staff did an amazing job of keeping things going. On the night after the hurricane there were about 15 guests left in the hotel and the staff cooked up an amazing communal meal of steaks (cooked over an open fire) with loads of delicious side orders and salads and lots of bottles of red wine. We weren't charged for any of it. I bet that didn't happen in any other NYC hotels!

In summary - if you want the best sized rooms in down town NYC, great service, cool decor and a staff that really do care about their guests then this is the place for you.

My only negative is that my room had terrible sound insulation. I could hear most of what went on in the rooms on either side and the room above clearly had a wooden floor and so there was a lot of noise from people walking across it in heels. This stopped the experience being as relaxing as it should have been and is hopefully something they will address in the ongoing refurb.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have been recently refurbed and are furthest away from the bar and restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BurgerB0y
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Gorgeous hotel. The bar and restaurant are fantastic, cocktails wonderful, tasty breakfast. Beautiful rooms, clean, stunning and comfortable. Rooftop pool great. Location fantastic, really buzzy lively district with lots of great restaurants and bars. Downside - very noisy at night. New Yorker's seem to continuously honk the horns of the cars regardless of what time it is so most nights we were kept up by noise from outside. Very annoying when you have paid a lot of money for a hotel. I presume the windows were not sound proofed.
Service was generally great but with a few issues i.e. I stayed there for my 21st and my parents had arranged a bottle of champagne to be waiting in the room - no. My hairdryer broke and I had to request a replacement three times before it arrived. When we tried to question the noise levels at night we were told there was nothing they could do, basically to grin and bear it.
Overall it was fantastic but there are a few issues that need to be ironed out I think.

Room Tip: To the back of the hotel, try not to overlook the roads
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Katie L
PDourneau, General Manager at Soho House New York, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear Katie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to assure you that we do not take your service and noise complaints lightly and I will be sure to relay your concerns to our staff. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in future.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

All the best,

Pierre Dourneau,
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We stayed here as a special treat for the last night of our holiday in New York, the idea was to spoil ourselves for one evening. It was a Friday night, so the hotel was busy, but generally our experience was good, unfortunately only marred but the noise pollution.

The Good Points
- The staff are excellent, polite, friendly, helpful - you can't ask for much more, you're generally treated like royalty during your stay.
- Our room (on the recently refurbished 3rd floor) was beautiful, a huge bed, very modern fittings including a fantastic shower and roll top bath. Lots of mod cons - Ipod Dock, large flat screen tv, well stocked toiletries and mini-bar.
- The restaurant / bar on the 6th floor had a lovely feel to it, ample staff and well fitted out. The food was reasonably priced (mains around $20) and was served very promptly.

The Bad
- We were told on arrival that our room had recently been refurbished, however it's almost inconceivable that no one considered the location when refitting the windows, the noise from outside the room all night was pretty unbearable and kept us awake until around 4.30am. I know, I know, what should I have expected? We were there on a Friday night, the location is near loads of restaurants and bars, of course it's going to be noisy. But, the real nightmare was the large queue of taxis on the street outside our room honking their horns for hours on end (something that is gladly illegal in the UK!). It got so bad that it was almost comical. I know this is not the fault of the hotel, but if they are reading this I would strongly recommend fitting some decent double glazed windows to counteract the racket, surely this is advisable!

I guess that a lot of people use this hotel for it's position and go out all night in the surrounding area, so by the time they get back to their rooms it's already really late and the noise isn't such an issue. But, if like us, you want to spend time in the room when you've spent so much on it, then the noise will bother you for sure. I can't speak for what it's like on weekdays, but give this a miss on a weekend.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisAmablin82
PDourneau, General Manager at Soho House New York, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your post. I am truly sorry about your most recent Soho House NY experience. I take feedback like this very seriously and will be sharing it with the rest of my management team. That said, our front desk is available 24 hours a day to look into any noise complaints you may have.

I look forward to welcoming you back and please let me know if I can be of assistance with any future arrangements.

All the best,

Pierre Dourneau
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Arriving off a long flight from the UK I was pleased to discover I'd been given a free upgrade to an excellent 'big' room which was bigger than the apartment i used to rent in new york. A very comfy and funky room, friendly staff, a great bar, superb location and great choice of foods at breakfast. Highly recommended

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business