“Total rip off”

Soho House New York
Ranked #308 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Noisiest hotel we've ever stayed in, we could hear couples arguing all night next door, the walls are so thin we could have joined in! Prank calls to our room in the middle of the night, high heels from the floor above, loud music at all hours, absurdly pretentious staff, smelly corridors, wires hanging from the ceiling, view over a rubbish strewn vacant lot...all this for $800 a night.

Don't waste your money on this place! Far nicer places in NYC than this.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Jezza08
There are newer reviews for Soho House New York

Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed here with three friends a fortnight ago, having originally stayed on my own five years ago when it first opened, and I have to say that this remains a fantastic hotel experience - even though its not formally a hotel. It's almost as if someone actually put some thought into what is offered! Let me tell you why Soho House is the best place to stay in New York, at least during the Summer when the pool is buzzing:

1. The rooftop pool is a dream in the Summer. There is nothing like having your (free) continental brekky on a sun lounger by the pool at 9am. And, of course, lots of girlies by the pool come the evening .... (And kids in the morning, note, one of whom threw up next to us!). Cute and highly competent wait staff too.

2. Free access to Soho House events during your stay. There was an Independence Day party on the roof on the Saturday we arrived, a 'sundown' party on the Sunday and various screenings in the private cinema. No charge for any of this.

3. They have a pool table, table football table and loads of board games in the bar, which is rarely busy. And free wi-fi everywhere.

4. Fantastic front desk staff who are always happy to chat and book stuff for you (a Soho House concierge also has more clout, I would guess, than a standard hotel concierge).

5. Always taxis parked outside (it is semi-pedestrianised outside the front door so cabs can park up)

6. No attitude. No-one who works here thinks they are better than the customers. If you've ever stayed at any 'design' property where the staff think they are doing you a favour by serving you, you'll find this a breath of fresh air.

7. The meatpacking district is great for shopping, drinking and eating (at least, it is if converted warehouses are your thing) and its walkable to Greenwich Village and the West Village as well

7. The rooms are well designed - have a look at the website photos - although a liking for warehouse living helps! Great rainfall showers with built in steam room in the larger rooms. Even the smallest ones work well, although the bigger ones (mine was 750 sq ft) make the biggest statements.

8. The selection of freebies I have ever seen in a hotel room. Way beyond the usual toothbrush / razor found at a five-star. Also a selection of USEFUL magazines like Time Out and restaurant / bar guides. Some very interesting mini-bar items as well, including silicone lubricant! The price list also mentioned silk bondage ropes but I never found them!

It is well worth considering for your next NY trip if you think it is your kind of scene. They do last minute specials, see website, so if the prices are a bit high for your budget you could hold a flexible reservation elsewhere and then rebook at Soho House a couple of weeks before you travel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Robert B
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I was there last spring and I have a good memory of my two week trip of leisure and business, the location is my favorite but Ive like seven times to NYC and there are better hotels. Still, the location is my favorite and the service is top 3! Good memories!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I held a private party at this hotel in January 2009. The staff was excellent, asking for my input on how I wanted the room setup and proceeding to provide suggestions on how to make it work for my needs. Everyone was very accommodating and it made me feel very comfortable to know that I didn't need to worry about a thing. When my guests arrived, they continued to be very helpful, courteous, and friendly.

The next day, I received emails and phone calls requesting to be invited to the next party, my guests liked the party so much. I was pleasantly surprised, as it was a one time thing, but since the feedback about another party (with food this time they said), I'm planning another one in March. Who would have thunk it?

Next time I may stay over after my party.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Anyone who has seen the dreadful acting of Geri Halliwell in that 'Sex and the City' episode you would no doubt have seen Soho House New York where Ms. Halliwell tells samantha about how brilliant it is, well sad to say, that was the only thing convincing about her performance. Yes, Soho House is brilliant it is so 'New York' you wont believe, the service was impeccable and the rooms were spacious and really individual, vintage furniture rubbed shoulders with the modern. Great sound system, and an oversized bath freestanding in the middle of the room were also one of the highlights. The location is also ideal, slap bang in the middle of the meatpacking district with greenwich village in walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank kingsleypark
Reviewed 4 January 2009

From the moment we called to book the a room at the soho house it was incredible. There rate was different then a rate we saw online, and instead of arguing, they said the customer was always right and gave us the competitve rate. I was having a few girlfriends stay the night for my birthday, and I am100 % sure I chose the right place. I booked the playground and the room right below that, and both were incredibly huge! There was also such a great attention to detail within the room. From the mini bar, to DVDs, and bathroom products, to the draw filled with games...

My girlfriends and I literally walked into these rooms and squeeled. It was so fun, and very different, and when more people came up to have drinks with us, the front desk was very friendly. ( i was nervouse that since it was a private club they might be weird about it) We got a noise complaint, but the staff was very kid about it. I cant stress the staffs eagerness to please. I have stayed in a nuber of 5 star NYC hotels, and this was had a special something that will keep me coming back on future stays.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank britts1288
Reviewed 3 December 2008

stayed here for my honeymoon last july (2008). The spa was fantastic and I had the best back massage I have ever had, also the cowshed products are lovely, but beware that anything you use in the room will be charged for. The attention to detail and location were both excellent and the roof-top bar was very fashionable, and had great views.
However, the concierge staff were hopeless and not particularly enthusiastic and the roof-top pool is far too small! Food was good but certainly not exceptional. Go for the trendy factor, the shopping location and the spa. Not particulaly romantic either. A 4 star.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple