“Just perfect”

Soho House New York
Ranked #318 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 March 2007

Stayed here for three nights before heading off to wedding in Hamptons and wanted the best experience I could get for the short stay. It certainly was! The hotel is cosy, intimate and once you discover the sound doors between your main door and bedroom there is no noise whatsoever from anything and you would never guess you were in NYC. The rooms were delightful and very spacious for New York with a fabulous bathroom. The wonderful babington House toiletries. However luck was on our side when in the middle of October they opened the pool as the weather was 24 degrees so with just only a few people upstairs this made it truly a magical experience. I am very fussy as fussy goes and Four Seasons is my benchmark but Soho House truly is an independant, quality driven hotel experieince that is for me the no 1 in NYC!! Loved the food, breakfast, dining room overlooking the Hudson River,the service, the calm about the place and the staff were exceptional. Thank you for a great time and loved every minute!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ellora

Reviewed 18 February 2007

A friend of mine knows a member of The Soho house, so we booked our room through him.

First the pros:
The location is fabulous! Right in the heart of the Meat Packing district
The room was very spacious (we stayed in a "Playpen Room" on the 5th floor), a loft-style room with a wonderful lay out and many amenities, including an enormous bathtub in the middle of the room. The Cowshed spa products in the room were great. The shower which doubled as a steam room was large with good water pressure.
The club upstairs is what I expected in NYC; very posh, great for socializing and people watching. We actually stopped in there every night of our three night stay.

Cons:
The bed was so uncomfortable.
The staff could not have been more rude. Be sure to not use that wonderful Bose system they provide (noise violation) and especially remember not to wear heals. Of all the places I've ever stayed, I've never been told I couldn't wear heals in my room because the VIP guest below us was complaining. We were told twice (11pm on Thurs and 11pm on Fri) that we were being too loud due to the VIP guest complaints from downstairs and that if we did not correct the problem we would get kicked out. Now, I love to have music playing but think I am very respectful of others and kept the volume to a normal level, so I was shocked when I was told we were being too loud at 11pm. The staff deactivated our room keys after our second night and both my friend and I had to ask to have them activated again. My friend was followed to our room by the staff because they didn't believe she was staying there when she came in one morning.

As a member of the Soho house I am sure you are treated like royalty, but as a non-member it's much different. Even though I loved the club, room, and location of the hotel, I would never stay here again due to the lack of service and sub-par treatment of the staff.
My husband and I loved the Hotel Gansenvoort across the street.

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank Rebecca L
Reviewed 27 November 2006

OK, this is one of THE coolest & BEST hotel clubs ever. The Decor is fabulous. Really comfortable AND trendy w/out being pretentious. My husband & I are members here & every time we come into the city, providing they have rooms, we stay here. We have sampled every room except The Playground (the largest). They were all fantastic & clever w/all the comforts & mod cons you could want (they’ve even added ipod docks).

My husband & I have stayed in 9 NYC hotels so far: The Ganesvoort, The Maritime, Tribeca Grand, Soho Grand, Chambers, Hudson Hotel, The W Union Sq., New York Palace & Waldorf. We used to live in the city as well & have ate & hung out in many hotels as well. Soho House is by far, our favorite.

DO NOT come here if you are looking to rest & relax only. It's pretty much a party hotel. The bar scene is still happening & the Meatpacking District is very hot. New York is noisy PERIOD people!! HELLO?? You cannot control the external goings on of the city!!

The rooms....you can hear people turning on the water, or slamming the door....depending on where your room is, you can hear more. Just bring a set of earplugs (if your sensitive) to be safe. Also - never had a problem with bringing in more than the allotted # of guests. Staff have always been really nice & the crowd is cool & minds their own business for the most part (you get a few affected city snobs now & then but who really cares)?! You know why you don’t care...?? B’c the place is so great. You can even smoke in the Games room. One of the last places in the city where it’s allowed.

The Pool is TINY (again, city hotel, don’t expect a giant pool) & beware the children! They had to put a new rule into affect with times & how many kids are allowed. It’s quite the scene up there so if you get a seat, hold on for dear life but I couldn’t be bothered after a while. It was too noisy w/the kids. I used to go up on overcast days & relax.

One of my favorite things about the hotel is the smell believe it or not! The Spa (Cowshed) makes their own organic products on the farm of it’s sister Hotel Babington House (see below). As guests, they give you the array of products to use during your stay & they aren’t stingy...you get big bottles (however, not to take, b’c they recycle the bottles) & you know everyone just tries almost everything. Therefore, the yummy smell of all of those ingredients like Lavender, Calendula, Cinnamon, etc... Seems to have permeated the walls of the Hotel. Anyway – it’s great! If you get a chance to experience it, do so But again NOT if you want a restful hotel.

Also - they have a sister club in Somerset, England called Babington House which we've stayed in about a dozen x's. It's fantastic! If you're ever in that area, you should really stay there. It’s modern living in the country but it doesn’t overwhelm you with how cool it is. You still know you are in the English Countryside AND you’re not having to sleep on Chintz or walk around a drafty & damp old Inn.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LAZ1609
Reviewed 1 August 2006

My husband and I travel all around the world in the best hotel and I will describe the Soho house as been at the top of the boutique hotel. The room was fantastic, we loved the heteroclit style. The location of the hotel is in hype district full of good restaurant. The lounch bar on teh roof floor is great in summer. The only thing I dislike is the that the swimming pool is invaded by mums and noisy kids who are memebers and none residents of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank PIXSQUARED
Reviewed 24 February 2006

I'm surprised by some of the comments posted for Soho House, we had no issue with noise or staff being rude. The hotel had a lovely atmosphere, a low hum of noise in all the right places (it is NY city after-all!) and the staff went out of their way to be helpful; one night they even gave us the entire cinema to ourselves because the tv in our room wouldn't play a dvd, furthermore they brought us room service and blankets which we felt was a nice touch.

All the positive comments here re. style of rooms, quality of food etc are spot on, although I loved exploring NY city, I found myself wanted to make regular stop-offs at the hotel to take advantage of the room and restaurant.

When I go back to NY, I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank DomLondon
Reviewed 23 February 2006

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank marisap
A TripAdvisor Member
LA, California
Reviewed 23 February 2006

Having stayed at The Soho House around 15 times since it opened I cannot believe the reviews I read. Yes there are elements that could be improved, but isn't that the case with everything in life.

The noise issue has been fixed with new windows, the TV's have even been fixed. The staff are super friendly and helpful and will try and accommodate you in any way possible.

In regards to the roof, it isn't Soho House's fault if a TV program made their space look bigger, that program isn't real life!!

On the whole, I have enjoyed every stay, even when there is a problem the staff and management have gone out of there way to make it up.

I would recommend people try it our for themselves.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business