“Small space but big value!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #198 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised at the Pod 39 Hotel.

The positive experience started with a lovely greeting at reception -- check in went smoothly, and even though I arrived several hours earlier than the posted 3 p.m. check-in time, my room was ready and I could go straight to getting settled it.

My room was located on the third floor, and faced E. 39th -- friends of mine stayed on a higher floor and had a slightly better view. Yes, the room was small, but it was very adequate for the amount of time I spent there. I was staying solo, this trip -- had my husband been with me, it would have been tight, but still do-able.

The temperature was easy to control, the linens were crisp and clean, under-bed storage was sufficient. I was happy to find an in-room safe, hairdryer, even "green" toiletries. Some might find the semi-private bathroom a bit awkward -- there's a frosted glass sliding door so it may not be as private as some people might want.

The rooftop bar was a huge surprise -- such a romantic setting with a beautiful view of the Chrysler building. And the location was great -- felt very safe, and it was just several blocks away from Grand Central Station, Empire State Building and other attractions.

During my stay, the bar next door was still under construction, but when that opens it will be a great convenience. In the meantime, I found that the hotel offered complimentary coffee in the reception area in the mornings. In addition, there are numerous places to eat in the immediate area.

I would definitely stay here again, and will recommend it to others, as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 November 2012

The idea of small hotels in large and busy cities is indeed very interesting. But it all depends on how the idea is implemented.

In the case of Pod 39 it appears the designers and the actual owners of the place interpreted the idea as a way of making a huge amount of money in a small space. Not much tought besides that in the small things that make a pod hotl an experiece that people would like to repeat.

But it is not completely their fault. The prices in New York City are so crazy that even a room like the one I was in in Pod 39 (at a price that if considered per square meter could maybe outprice the Plaza or the Four Seasons) is easy to sell, even if, I think, in most cases only for once. I am n activist but it would be nice if we custumers could one day say that we refuse to pay such crazy prices and avoid to stay in NYC... But I am eaming here.

Returning to the Pod39. The location is exceptional. The structure is new and stillmay become a nice place while works are still underway. But i Think that most of the damage is already been done.

The rooms are small... but really very vervy small... No space for much els then the bed. Confortable debs and nice bathrooms. The idea of having a glass wall is intelligent because otherwise the room would wb really claustrofobic. But it appears the intelligenceof the project ends here, at least for the rooms I have seen.... I have seen 2 because the first one I was given had the bed turned in a way so that my head (the part of the bed where the pillows are) was in the middle of the room and my feet against the wall.. I have seen others and it is the same. I think the ason is the fact that there is a wndows on the other side but I would never sleep in this way. Would you?

There is no space at all for anything but yourslef. the liggages should b placed under th bed but th space is very little and can only fit cabin size luggages. It would heve been enough to highger the bed of fwe centimeters or use one if those beds that can be opened up to fit thing beneath the matress. There is a safe but no place to put anything else. The walls however are absolutely empty. With a few dollars any Ikea could hvae given them some shelves where to put at least some of the things a traveller brings. The same in the Bathroom. There is one huge mirror, also in the shower???? but no place to put the soap or shampoo!!!

The tv has a lot of channels but the choice was to use a rather small screen that, jbeing on the other side of the rooms, was almost impossible to see... this is probably why they kept the room small. Here too a small amount of money would have given a pleasent extra.

Windows. Very good they open. But the glass is not sound proof and I had a huge I mean really huge air coditioning system in front of mine and could not sleep most of the time.

Sound proof... not at all I could hear people next to me and, worse of all, the noise of their air conditioning system that is, as I was told, connected to mine. So if you turn yourslef off you must hope the others do the same.

But waht really makes a hotel is the management and I think the is really a lack of it. Uring my stay there was a fi in a transformer and there was o electricty after 7 in the morning. On the 17th floor there was also no water.... that means no washing ... no drinking ... no???? On departure I asked for a discount considering that I had not been given at least half of teh services . No way!!! nobody was there to help the poor staff to answer to the many angry custumers.

What about a voucher ????

As a whole this is my first and hope last time I visit the hotel and I will tell all the people I know to stay clear even if it means paying some extra. Eventually it did cost 187 dollar a night!

Room Tip: ask for a room with the hea of th bed against the wall - be awar of the air conditioning unit outsei...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed two nights and had an amazing experience. The hotel is super affordable, the staff was very friendly, the room was very clean, perfectly sized and modernly decorated. It has everything you need. This place makes New York affordable and enjoyable. The bed was very comfortable and the climate control allows you to set the temperature anywhere you want it (not all hotels allow this). The bathroom was spacious enough and the shower with its overhead rainshower nozzle was perfect. My only suggestion is that they add a bar towel rack so the towels can dry. But that's a minor complaint. Also the location is perfect. I would recommend this place to anyone on a budget or not on a budget. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: For solo travelers the twin bed room is perfect.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We were absolutely delighted we chose to stay at Pod 39. As the name suggests the rooms were small but they are also very well designed and as far as we were concerned much nicer than a lot of hotel rooms in Manhattan which are a little tired and reminescent of the 1980s.

We stayed in one of the bunk bed rooms. It was a little quirky with very comfortable wide beds both having their own television and reading light. The bathroom had a shower, toilet and wash basin and was also extremely well designed expertly utilising all available space. Unlike a lot of American design the room and communal areas were very trendy and a refreshing change from the 'old colonial / country style' look.

One of the most delighful aspects of thsi hotel was the roof top bar which was opened to the elements and commanded excellent views of Manhattan; what a gem!

The location was also excellent only a few blocks away fro Time Square, Grand Central Station, Macy's and Empire State Building.

We certainly will be staying here again and have recommende lots of our friends too.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Great location. We had a view of the Empire State Building from our room! Yes the rooms are small but extremely efficient. Not much privacy with the bathrooms (as a couple staying in a queen room with own facilities, still kinda awkward!). The rooftop bar wasn't open during our visit, but you can still go up and enjoy the fabulous views. No noise issues for us! Would stay here again for sure.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My 18 year old son and I stayed at Pod 39 for a week in October 2012. The hotel is well positioned to make the most of what Mahattan has to offer and is one of the more affordable hotels in Mahattan but the room is incredibly
 small. We had bunk beds and when one person is standing the other either needs to be on the bed or in the bathroom for the other to move around the room.  You could have no more than one suitcase and you need to be prepared to live in cramped quarters if you plan to stay here. The room was clean and the beds reasonably comfortable.  If I return to NYC I personally would look for accommodation with a little more space.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Patricia A
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This hotel is well-located but the rooms are tiny, as the name of the hotel does state. In late September the hotel was still very much under construction. The big 'hang-out' room seemed to be really far from completion which means you are forced into your room, which naturally is absolutely tiny. I stayed there for a week on a business trip and by the end I was almost dreading going back into my room - it really is so cramped. Opening your suitcase is problematic and you would really struggle in there as a couple. The bathrooms are glass so if you are not overly familiar with your travelling companion you should probably get a room each. The rooftop bar is really cool with a fantastic view of the Empire State building and apparently a new Mexican restaurant will soon open on the ground floor. I found the staff behind the reception desk to be quite unhelpful although the staff who are out on the floor were much better.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business