“POD PERFECTION!”

Ranked #188 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“POD PERFECTION!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

Returned to dreary Britain today after an incredible Thanksgiving week in New York City with friends.

This was my 5th visit to the city and I have previously stayed in some of the more 'historic' hotels that line the streets of Broadway and 7th Avenue, so for a change I decided to go for a slightly more modern and upbeat hotel. That is exactly what I got with the Pod 39.

Situated in the Upper East Side in the Murray Hill district, the Pod 39 is within walking distance to Grand Central Station (about 10 mintues), you can then hop onto the S train which runs backwards and forwards to Times Square, walking distance to 5th, 6th and Lexington Ave, which is fantastic as we where mainly there for the Black Friday sales and there are some fantastic diners and bars in the area, too. Not to mention the roof top terrace of the Pod itself. The bar wasn't open, but the terrace was lit up at night so it was nice to chill out at the end of a long day with a bottle of beer and watch the city. Views of the Empire State Building, Chrysler, East River and the rising Freedom Tower dominate the views.

I was in a party of 4 and we had two bunk rooms. One was slightly bigger than the other, but not by much. Alot of the reviews here state that the rooms are almost two small, I shared with a male friend and we're not the most tidy of people, but we still had space to move around (even with all of our shopping!).

The bathroom wasn't a problem, either. A glass sliding door with frosted glass in the middle, but dim the lights (using the dimmer) and you can't see a thing! It steamed up when the shower was on, anyway.

Bunk beds where comfy, had a great night sleep and each bed had it's own TV. There was also a unit with various input/outputs for AVI, USB, HDMI ect. I only made use of the USB to charge my camera/phone. There is also an electric safe in the room to store your important posessions.

Staff and house keeping where really friendly as was the entire concerige team. They booked us a car back to EWR at a cost of $77 which is cheaper than using the town car service provided by groundlink or the NYC Taxi service.

There's some slight building work going on downstairs, but it's out of the lobby and behind doors, so it wasn't a problem. Also a bar in the hotel, which I didn't make use of, but it looked really good. They also served breakfast, but we chose to dine at Scotty's Diner on Lexington which was one block away. If you eat here, get the French Toast, eggs, bacon and sausage. The enitre meal isn't on the menu, but ask for it. It's some of the best I've had during my time in NYC.

Overall, if you plan on travelling with friends or as a couple/solo, this hotel is perfect. I don't know if they have family rooms, I'd guess not, but don't be put off by what others are saying about room size/privacy ect. We had no problems at all. It's worth booking this hotel for the views from the top to be honest. Give it a go, you'll be back!

Room Tip: I've read reviews of noisy a/c units. I didn't notice it and we stayed on the 6th floor, our...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

It was a nice hotel. Pod is an excellent name because the bunkrooms make you Peas in a pod. The bar was nice the spaces all seemed clean. Be good friends with anyone you travel with though because there isn't much privacy in the room. Did I mention a glass wall between the bathroom and the beds? The bathroom looks really nice but there wasn't any water pressure in the shower and you can't spread out your usual travel vanity items. If you don't plan to spend more than 6 hours at a time in the hotel sleeping and want something cheap for NYC, this is a great option.

Room Tip: It is fun that they have bunks if you have multiple singles sharing a room and not up to share a que...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Ipswich, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

My boyfriend and I were due to travel to New York and stay with friends, but due to Hurricane Sandy they were evacuated and we needed to arrange accommodation for 3 nights at very short notice. We booked a queen room, after reading reviews and were very pleased with our stay.

I think people need to ask themselves what they want from a hotel in NYC. We wanted somewhere safe for our belongings whilst were out all day sightseeing, somewhere close to the heart of the city, somewhere clean and comfortable to put our heads at night. And this is exactly what we got! Yes, the rooms are small, but they don't try to disguise this and all most people will use the room for is sleeping and showering, so how much space do you need in reality? We found Pod 39 to be clean, comfortable, nice furnishings, lovely bathroom. As we travelled out of season the roof top bar was closed but you could still go up there for amazing views.

This isn't the first hotel I've stayed in with a glass seperation instead of a door, it takes a bit of getting used to and will not be for everyone. Maybe not ideal for new couples, friends sharing, or those who need their privacy, but we laughed it off and got through it without too much embarrassment.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a late check in, and arrived a day late due to a cancelled flight due to bad weather in New York. We had booked the room for 3 nights but only ended up staying 2 due to missing the first night. We informed Pod 39 as soon as we were aware of this, and we were only charged for the 2 nigths we stayed, without even having to ask if this was possible. Every request we had (admitedly the usual requests such as pointing us in the direction of somewhere, stowing luggage after checking out) was met with a polite positive response and a smile. Very efficient and a pleasure to deal with, even when they were very busy.

The location is ideal, just a couple of blocks from Grand Central station and a short walk from the Empire State Building and other tourist sites.

I would recommend this hotel for individuals, couples, friends and business trips, but you probably only want to have a short stay. It might get a bit claustophobic if you stayed a week and like your space but it ticked all the boxes we had. I would definitely stay again and recommend to my friends and family.

Room Tip: If you have an unlimited budget and a choice of rooms available, go for the biggest you can get if y...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tools_11
Springfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

I have traveled..a lot. I have been to Europe, third world countries, I have stayed at five star hotels and real dumps (upon necessity). These rooms are small! By any standard. Smaller than a cabin on a Russian river cruise boat. With that said, you will not find a hotel in midtown Manhattan with a private bathroom for a better price. So, if you want to save money on a hotel, this is the trade off. It's new, clean with friendly staff. The roof top bar is an amazing experience however the quality of drinks is better in the bar on the ground floor. Do check out the roof top bar anyway - it's worth the experience. The best part about this hotel is the location - close to everything.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Damascus, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here the week after Sandy for business for 2 nights. I am in NYC often and hate spending too much money for a room and not knowing what to expect. I booked here at $150 a night for 2 nights and knew what I was walking into. My room was small....but clean and had every amenity I would expect. Staff was friendly and the Bar downstairs was a nice spot for a beer. I was in Midtown so I was close to where I needed to be. I was by myself so the small size of the room was not a bother. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Cromwell, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

We needed a room in the city for a family member that was traveling out of JFK, I called just to make sure that there was a bathroom in the room and not a shared one. The deal seemed pretty good at $125.00 for two double beds but they definetly should of mentioned that the beds in the room were bunk beds! Luckily it was only for one night but I don't think many go to a hotel expecting bunk beds. We would of paid more for a different room or looked else where.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo