“Right place, right size”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #198 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We stayed 4 nights in mid December 2012. the hotel has fun atmosphere, cool design and nice staff.
The rooms are small but unless you are very disorganized person, you have enough space for everything. It is recommanded to stay there with your spouse or close friend because there is no space for privacy
The price is competitive, and we will strongly consider to stay there again

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 December 2012

With practically no advance notice, I was forced to make a last minute trip to the Big Apple earlier this month. The odds were against me in finding a suitable room due to the following: less than a week's notice before departure; height of the holiday season at "the centre of the universe"; and of course it was only week after the departure of Sandy. Add the need for proximity to the client's office and affordability into the mix and I knew I was setting myself up for failure.-Luckily for me, a friend recommended Pod 39!

WHAT A GODSEND! Respectable rates, brand new facilities(openly in the Summer of 2012), and best of all, service that would put many top hotels to shame. None of my friends, including New Yorkers had even heard of this little jewel, but wow, what a find indeed.

Sure the room is a little small, but if you are in Manhattan for business, how much time do you really want to spend the room anyway? It was just right for me. I liked the square layout, as it made good use of the available space, and the little touches in the room were well thought out. I didn't need the traditional closet space, and the open clothes hanger was sited just below the a/c vent- nett result, coats and clothes receive a fresh breeze- taking away any restaurant or smoking room odor.

The bathroom was sparse, but very functional, and quite ecological as well. The shower was steady, but not jet blast-like. More importantly, the hot water came on very quickly, and that as everyone knows, reduces the need to let the water run.

The desk was smallish, but all the plug sockets, internet outlets, including plugs to convert the flat screen TV into your personal wall monitor were accessible, and neatly configured, and WORKED.
No complaints about the bed, linen; clean and provided a good night's rest- in fact, while the occupancy was very high, it floor that I was on 2flr, was real quiet.

What really made my stay memorable was the staff and the exceptional service that they provided. Housekeeping was efficient and friendly, and the front desk staff really went the distance to help me out in a jam. A mistake in my reservation meant that the room was not pre-paid as I had anticipated. At check-in, my credit card was busted, and I had to pay cash for my room- all of it. Hmmm...NYC, no cash??? Yeah, completely insane. Well, I sorted out the problem with the pre-payment overnight, but had to leave for a meeting early in the morning before the manager who had access to the safe started his shift. When I told the night manager that I needed some cash for cab fare, he helped me out by letting me sign for some cash.

Considering that I had already paid for the stay, it wasn't much of risk, but still he went out of his way to help a guest, and that really helped me out.

Located in midtown, Pod 39 is a short distance from Grand Central Station, and within walking distance to 5th Avenue. Also, from Grand Central, you are at the center of the entire NYC subway network, in short, I'd say a Yankee Home run!

Additional features at the hotel are the free city walking tours (starts at 9:30am daily), and at the lobby bar- a soon to be taco restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I heard about Pod Hotels and was really excited to check it out, but I had no idea that I would like it as much as I did. I expected to find a tolerable place to stay in NYC that wouldn't cost a small fortune, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel has fun, upbeat vibe with a modern, artsy look. It's right in Midtown Manhattan so I could walk everywhere. There was a nice bar on the first floor if you like to hang out and it looked like they were doing a build out of some other common space. The rooms are small, but the space is used efficiently so it never felt cramped. Kudos to the designers! Everything was super clean and the staff was really nice. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Clean modern rooms. Free wifi availeble and usb connection for charging devices. Freindly service. Bit noisy because of construction. Nice view from roof terras. Airport transport can be booked at the hotel for only 25 dollars. If you go to New York book pod39.

Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

I'd read ahead about the small room sizes at this hotel, and that expectation was met--but for the price, to be right in the city (I had a last-minute need for a room), this place was GREAT. I would stay here again, as a solo traveler. Clean, modern, nice, private (!) bathroom, wifi...those are my needs--and Pod 39 delivered on them.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

I checked in for a one night stay for exam purposes. Staff was very friendly.The room was very small but I guess thats why its called Pod. I had everything to my comfort and the room was very clean. Perfect for last minute reservations. Will definitely go back. New York's best kept secret Pod 39.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Small rooms make Pod earn its name but for the money, it's one of the coolest little boutiques going. What it lacks in size if makes up for with most of the essentials a wired traveler needing wireless needs.

Easy location to get to for our needs, and would definitely stay again.