“Perfect for Young Travellers”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #201 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 February 2013

The Pod 39 was the perfect platform for my first time visit to New York! I arrived at night and was quite nervous to enter as there were no flashy outside lights. HOWEVER, the lobby was gorgeous and fun and more importantly young inside with an eclectic restaurant "Salvation Taco" attached. (It serves great for midnight tacos!) I stayed in a single suite which was much bigger than i expected through reading the previous posts. For the price it was certainly more comfortable and left me feeling more secure than any hostel. It is situated in the perfect spot - just a 15 minute walk to Times Square and about 5 minutes to Grand Central Station! The Housekeeping was fantastic and the staff was extremely friendly. They even helped me out when i overslept and nearly missed my flight home. Overall i enjoyed my stay immensely and would recommend it for any young traveller!

1  Thank Stephanie1011
Write a ReviewReviews (3,456)

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I am not into ultra-luxury. I stay in hotels 50-60 nights a year--from Motel 6 to Hyatts and Hiltons and The Ritz Carlton. The Pod 39 is hands-down my favorite and is absolutely the best value. I just spent two nights there--Saturday night @ $90, Sunday night @ $70--three blocks down Lex. Avenue from Grand Central. Superb location. But it's the concept I love. My room was small, but very efficiently laid-out. Quiet. Whoever designed the place gets it. I had a single room, with bath/shower, in-room safe. It was quiet, cozy, wonderful. If you want to stay in Mid-town, in a clean well-thought-out room and don't like to waste money on typically larger, dull hotels, the Pod 39 is the place.

Room Tip: For a single, try room 12 on any floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank photolandscape
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I got a mini-bunk room at Pod 39. The hotel is pretty stylish in it's own way. There is a bar in the lobby along with a row of Ipads for guests to use. The people at the front desk were pretty nice and helped us get in to the room and out to the airport efficiently.

The room was small. Very small. With a bunk bed, a desk, a chair, a safe, and one pole for hangar holding. There is also at little lamp and a double outlet at each bed. Liked that aspect. The whole experience felt kind of like a dorm room.

There is also a bathroom with sliding frosted glass windows, a very loud toilet, not much counter space (though didn't need really need the space), and a good size shower which took me a while to figure out how to maximize the hot water. The one thing I didn't care for were the sliding glass doors for the bathroom. The door is thin so you hear EVERYTHING going on in the bathroom. And I'm a person who is not that interested in hearing everything no matter how close I am to the person. Also there is a large door knob size hole in the sliding door that overlooks in the toilet when fully closed. I'm also not that interested in watching someone use the bathroom from the lower bunk bed.

The location of the hotel is great. Only a few minutes walk to Grand Central.

Overall, a good stay. Very affordable for what you get. And if you are a tourist and are out and about for most of the day anyway then it's perfectly fine. Unless you need the sense of privacy and a lot of counter space.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank David E
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I've just returned from NYC having spent 4 nights at Pod39. If your budget is small but you do not want to compromise on location, cleanliness and service then this is the place for you.

I stayed in a one person Pod, and the room is exactly that- compact but fully functional, clean, efficient use of space, nice bathroom and the toiletries provided smell divine. Bed was comfortable and clean.

The roof top bar is a must visit with a gear view I'd the Empire State Building.

Only 3 blocks from grand central station and the Chrysler building and the new york library about 4 blocks from Times Square and 6 blocks from fifth avenue. Close proximity to subway lines which will take you to Brooklyn bridge, Wall Street and the staten Islam ferry ( and a ride to see the Statue of Liberty).

Friendly staff from the receptionist, bar staff and chambermaids.

This place exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Smilieuk1
Reviewed 1 February 2013

The rooms in this place are compact but nice and new with sleek design. Really good use of space in the room where you have everything you need except an area to do cartwheels.
The staff aren't that friendly, but that is pretty standard for NYC.
Location is great if you are working in the area. Good area for tourists.
The taco place downstairs is expensive but gives the lobby area a good vibe. Would recommend for the price. It is more expensive than the really cheap options but it is very comfortable.

1  Thank morgstim
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I spent four nights in NYC in a single room by myself. the room was a perfect size considering i hardly spent any time in it all and it was very clean. Location wise it was great, close to heaps of shops, cafes, bars and subways. The staff were amazing. The bar staff in the hotel lobby salvation taco were beautiful and helpful. They told me and showed me great places to eat and drink and introduced me to a lot of their friends. I also met a lot of other travellers at the lobby bar, some of them were by them selves and some in large groups. I didn't know what to expect traveling to NYC by myself but the people I met that were staying here at pod 39 and the friendly staff made my experience fantastic. I defiantly recommend staying here!

3  Thank Emily M
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I'm remiss to write this because it is such a good value, I don't want this hotel to be booked the next time I am in NYC. The Pod rooms are small, but when you are travelling for business and on a budget, you don't need large hang outs. But small also does not mean uncomfortable. The bed and pillows were good. The shower was really nice, and the shampoo products smelled great. The towels could be better, but really, that's the only hole. Free wifi, A window that you could open for fresh air. Great neighborhood in Murray Hill.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business