“Small, but clean and up-to-date”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #196 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 February 2013

POD39 is small hotel, but very clean. The feature of the room are all up-to-date and nothing feels old. The room has a European feel maximizing what little space is available. It was great for just 2 nights in the city, with a great location, just a few blocks from Grand Central. If I had been staying in the city for more than 2 nights, I probably would have preferred a larger room. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. There is even a funky taco bar located in the lobby.

There are newer reviews for Pod 39 Hotel

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for 1 week in December.
The room was very small but clean and functional.
Great value and a very good location! Walking distance to Grand central.
Free wifi and helpful staff.
I would definitely go back!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked a queen pod room for Saturday the 16th . Got to the hotel early and hoped for a earlier check in; but room wasn't ready till 3pm which was check in time so I can't complain about that . Check in was not bad and they held our bags for us before check in. We then got into the room and it was much smaller then I thought. It is so bad that if I am sitting on the edge of the bed, I have to move so my wife can get by. Plus as other guests have mentioned you keep banging your knees and hands since everything is so cramped.
Room was nice and modern I do have to say that. Two complaints I had with the room are: toilet seat was loose and crooked but we dealt with it . My major complaint is there were no plastic cups in the bathroom;had to go buy some so I could better rinse my mouth out after brushing my teeth.
Overall a "just ok" experience but I will not be staying here again. I think I could have done better for 200 bucks.

Oh, great deals on beer at the bar downstairs , only 15 bucks for a bottle of Corona. I went to the deli on the corner and got my beer ! Good luck

• Stayed: February 2013
39HotelMgr, General Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Greetings Mark,
We do practice truth in marketing. We call ourselves a Pod and that's what we provide. Thanks for stopping by and giving us a try. Our Queen Pods do range in size from 100 to 180 square feet so if you ask nicely and we have it available, sometimes we can move guests into larger rooms. It boils down to what is available when you are checking in. I apologize about your toilet seat and we've made it a point to have a staff now checked for anymore. We don't provide plastic cups in the room but there are two glass cups in every bathroom. I'm sorry if we neglected to place any in your rooms for your stay. The Corona you are referring to is actually 32 oz so it's like getting close to three beers for $15. Many tend to overlook its size when looking at the menu. It is really good and fun to share.
Cheers,
Scott

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Great location, great service and very nice rooms. All you could want in the city. We will be guests many times in the future, I am sure of that. The rooms are very european and very stylish. Service from the front desk on is very professional and helpful. Its one of the few places I have stayed in the city where the concierge and front desk staff is actually very helpful and respectful of guests on a budget. All in all a great find.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

I was in the city for client meetings, and while my masters said stay wherever, I wanted to check this out and see if the reviews were accurate. They were. Place is great.

Rooms are indeed small but in no way ridiculous. There was a lot of thought put into the design to get a lot of function out of a small space.

I stayed up high and well away from the elevator, so it was dead quiet. The rooms have steel doors, which likely helped keep the noise out. Windows opened, which was nice.

When you walk in, the place is teeming with people, as is the riotous bar. That was a little intimidating as I thought that place was full of tipsy people who would then take the party upstairs. Nope.

It is just 2.5 blocks from Grand Central and a main subway line that will get you north or south quickly. I think Union Square was 2 stops on the express line.

Asked other people what they thought of their stay. Same reaction. Not sure why I would stay elsewhere for a lot more money.

Room Tip: Get room away from elevator and higher up. Don't share a room unless you don't mind being in...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Walked into a minimalist lobby... metro chic (as were the vast majority of the hotel guests). Friendly front desk, was staffed by helpful young men & women. Our queen size room was clean & functional. Bathroom was small but glass enclosure made it, and the room, feel larger. The only thing we didn't "get" was the cold water only sink. If you want space to store a couple of large suitcases, this isn't the hotel for you. Anyone else? Great value for NYC. Would stay here again in a NY minute!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 15 February 2013

It is my second stay in this hotel. In our second night we have problems with a terrible noise, the front desk asked for an "engineer" to help us - he said it was from the floor bellow and he couldn't do anything as the guests weren't there. After we called the front desk again, they offered another room, we were very tired and decided to wait until next day. In our third night it was necessary to change the room, because the noise was even worst. When we called the front dek we were told to go upstairs to get the key - nobody offered us help to change the room.

In our last night, my husband and I got sick, so I asked for a late checkout. The front desk told us they would charge us a fee - what is ok - but to talk with them again next morning. In the morning, the first lady informed us that the would charge us 50% of night cost to stay until 5pm. A few minutes later, while I was waiting to set it up, I was told that they would charge us another night - to stay four hours more in a room that was available. When I told that I was disappointed, they told me it was hotel policy. If it is the hotel policy, they should have their employees better informed and trained, because I received the wrong information twice.

4  Thank Camila Z