“Everything you need, compact”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #185 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Everything you need, compact”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I've stayed in Pod 51 before which has communal bathrooms, and I prefer Pod 39 which I stayed in this time (January/February 2013). The room I stayed in was a single room and each room has its own bathroom. It's hard to believe so much can be put in such a small space. The major boxes were 'ticked' for me - free wifi (no problems connecting), close to transport (Grand Central is just a short walk from 39th to 42nd), and very modern (Pod 39 was built in June 2012 I believe). I forgot my adaptor for my iphone and luckily there is a connection station where I could plug my usb cord straight in to the wall, problem solved! The room has a tv which is in a good spot, and the temperature control which worked perfectly. I had no issue with noise from other guests, HOWEVER on a few days there were guys outside my window (on a window cleaner type thing) who were banging and drilling right into my window ledge on the bathroom and room windows!! Not happy about that but I guess it was after 9am so not a problem. I wonder if anyone else had people drilling outside their window? I was on the 10th floor.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a quiet room, and ask whether there will be construction taking place outside...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I stayed here in January and February 2013 as a budget accommodation while doing an internship. The location could not be beat! Really close to Dagastinos (spelling?) a well stocked and decently priced grocery/deli, and lots of great restaurants. It is also incredibly close to Grand Central Station. It's in a slightly more residential neighborhood, which is nice because you get more useful and fun amenities than you receive when staying in Time Square. I stayed twice, once in a single, and once in a double pod, and though they are small, if you are out to see the city or work, it doesn't really matter.

Pros:
Clean and comfortable.
Good layout in small spaces.
Helpful and friendly staff.
Great bar/restaurant in the lobby.
Beautiful rooftop sitting area inside and out.
Fantastic location for transit, shops, restaurants, site seeing, etc.
Free wi-fi and TV (which I watched when Nemo hit NY and I wanted to stay inside)
Comfy bed.
Quiet, I could not hear any of my neighbors when in the room.

Cons:
It was winter, and the head of the bed is always positioned at a window which were not well insulated. I had to sleep with a beanie on because my head just got too cold.
The doors have an issue where they make a mechanical sound during the night, as if someone is trying to open them. I spoke to reception, who said they would look into it, but it happened every night in each of the two separate rooms I stayed in.
Water pressure in shower is weak and can change to drizzle without warning.
Bathroom door is transparant, so be very comfortable with whomever you are sharing a double or bunk room with.
Self regulating heater was incredibly loud. It would wake me up in the night when it would turn on.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

This is a great hotel for quick trips to New York. The rooms are tiny, but have all you need. They are also very clean and I would prioritize cleanliness over room size any day! The staff is very friendly and there is a fun bar in the lobby. Great location near Grand Central and all midtown attractions.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RIAimee
Wellesley, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

The rooms are small, yes. What you would expect in New York City! If you are traveling with someone other than a spouse or very close friend, I would recommend separate rooms, as the bathroom is right beside the bed and does not have doors extending to the (very high) ceilings, and has only frosted doors. Not much will be left to the imagination! The room was cleaned very well every day and we liked the look of the room. The restaurant downstairs was expensive but trendy. Excellent food. We stayed in a double bed room and had enough space for the very little relaxing we did. There is space for storage of luggage, etc. under the bed, which was handy. Very close (walking distance) to Grand Central Station, which is the way to pretty much everywhere! I would definitely stay here again. We stayed for 5 nights and were very happy with everything in this hotel. The elevators are even cool, as they have glass on either side which enable you to see the other 2 elevators and the inner workings of the elevator shaft. A great hotel for a great price in New York City.

1 Thank Sarah P
Beverly, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Totally loved this hotel. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised at how roomy this is. We've been in a small NYC hotel room before, we knew what to expect, and we were prepared to have a room so tight it would just inspire us to get out in the city faster. Amazingly, this place did not do that! We LOVED being in our room, it was so mod/funky and surprisingly spacey for such a small place. The double bed had enough room underneath to tuck away our baggage, the cool bathroom got us nervous at first, with it's glass door and all, but the glass is fogged/blurred in the middle so you can't see the person at all when they are on the toilet. Hidden coat hooks on the wall were a nice touch, windows that actually let in light, neat lil shelf bedside with wire hole and electric outlet right there to plug in your phone. Even the clock was rad. I loved everything about our room, and outside of it was even cooler! The Rooftop Lounge wasn't running due to winter, but it was still open to hang out in. What an awesome view! And in the indoor portion looked incredible too! I think I'd prefer it in the winter, it was real quite and enjoyable. The downstairs bar/lounge was really busy, full of hipster dorks enjoying themselves. Which is fine, I just don't enjoy loud areas.
Anyways, how the heck is this place so cheap!

I don't know if I could handle one of the rooms with a shared bathroom, but next time i stay in NY, this will definitely be where I sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't accidentally book one of the rooms with a shared bathroom NO fridge, but pu...
1 Thank Stu_Pidassle
South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

POD39 is small hotel, but very clean. The feature of the room are all up-to-date and nothing feels old. The room has a European feel maximizing what little space is available. It was great for just 2 nights in the city, with a great location, just a few blocks from Grand Central. If I had been staying in the city for more than 2 nights, I probably would have preferred a larger room. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. There is even a funky taco bar located in the lobby.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for 1 week in December.
The room was very small but clean and functional.
Great value and a very good location! Walking distance to Grand central.
Free wifi and helpful staff.
I would definitely go back!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple