“Compact, clean, super staff, close to everything plus a spectacular view!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #200 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My trip was a half block away for Meet the Media, Id been looking and comparing hotels for days. I like different, and I travel solo, so this seemed to be the best bang for my frugal buck.

There simply are NO rooms like this for that kind of money in NYC! Clean rooms, albeit very compact, but fantastic location and 2 blocks from Grand Central Station, but I chose to walk to Times Square, Central Park etc.

They have built-in computers in the lobby, they offer a super useful map of the whole burrough (that you can take with you). The staff delighted me with their friendliness, talking to me (not at me), in English without pressing 1.

The view from the rooftop is fantastic. The restaurant's food is outstanding. Not happy to pay $10 for a vodka/cranberry so for the more frugal, walk a few steps up and buy snacks and a 6-pack from the convenience store. If you want to people-watch and socialize after your business for the day, hang in the Salvation Taco (the bar/restaurant). Their staff is friendly and fun.

I am a single traveler and the rooms are great for that scenario. If you are a couple, you'd better make sure you dont mind the half-frosted door to the louvre and there is no audio privacy so stay away from spicy foods.

There are no ice buckets, no microwaves, no coffee, but the restaurant is ready for you, or the convenience store bakes breakfast and as does of the dozens of delis very near by. I bought ice and used the stainless steel trashcan as my cooler after my meeting. :) Great smelling shampoo/cond bodywash.

Hi speed internet was great. No radio (sad face) but I livestreamed some radio on my laptop, the panel media center is nice for you to plug everything you have in to.

Coming back to NYC in May and Im ready to book with them again hopefully bringing some staff to enjoy it too. Excellent pricing, great view, it's a great price for New York City!!

3  Thank Suzanne_Perry_SuzyP

Reviewed 13 March 2013

I couldn't have been happier with the two rooms I booked last weekend at Pod 39. Single for me (bit of a view of the Empire State Building!) and twin bunk for the boys. The rooms were small yes, but well-designed and immaculate. For the price, you can't beat Pod 39. We also enjoyed a break in the attached restaurant, Taco Salvation. I'm nearly 50 and was very pleasantly surprised. I'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Laura G
Reviewed 12 March 2013

this hotel has good pricing and is somewhere in style between a fairfield inn and a euro youth hostel....quite clean but beyind tiny ie total room was 8ft by 13 ft including toilet and shower... the room is a bed and not for doubles....spartan accomdations....seems to attract under 30's and backpacking internationals...not ideal for business travelers but franlky it will work for some but not me even though as a seasoned business traveler I like the price but not worth the tiny rooms....btw bet my wife couldnt easily use a hair dryer in the tiny bath area

Room Tip: queen rooms are for 1 person only
Reviewed 12 March 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed here because I was coming to New York for medical treatments and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on the hotel. Overall I am satisfied with the hotel, but I do have a couple of observations that might help other travelers.

I stayed in the twin bunk room, and one night my sister came up to join me. When it was just myself, it was great, but my biggest complaint is that the bathroom has no privacy. The wall of the bathroom/shower is half clear, half frosted, so you are doing your business in full view of the other hotel occupant. The frosting is from about 1 ft from the floor to about 5 feet, but it is not fully obscuring and if someone is on the top bunk they can totally see in. Fine if nobody else is in your room, or if you don't feel the need to be private, but I do so that was uncomfortable. I understand why they did that, because there is no window and it lets in the light, really I would have sacrificed light for privacy.

The sheets are a bit polyester, but new so they weren't that bad. My room was near the elevator and people woke me up several times getting off the elevator. I actually thought the size of the room was fine. Stacking the twin beds gives more space in the room. There is no closet but there is hanging space and a small desk. The safe was quite roomy, tons of electrical outlets, and wifi worked well in my room. The bed was comfortable. The shampoo and conditioner were good. The location is good, close to Grand Central and a lot of nearby food options. The twin bunk bed room actually has two televisions, you don't have to watch what your bunk mate watches.

My only other complaint is there is no ice machine in the hotel, which was a problem when I needed an ice pack. I had to go to the restaurant, and they were fine and obliging, but at night it is a bar, so you can't really wander down the hall in your jammies and get your ice. Other things that would be nice would be a channel guide for the television in the room, but you can deal with it.

I might stay here again alone, but the bathroom thing really turns me off. Then again it is cheap, so it is a tradeoff. I have also stayed at the Hudson, and that one was a much nicer room, more quiet, more luxurious and private bathroom. There were ice machines on every floor. It was also much more expensive, so you get what you pay for I guess.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank blackacre03
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Don't be fooled.

If you're under 30, think more plugs are cooler than anything, and love the 18 inch wide shower, no bathmat and a bed 24 inches from the wall, you'll love this place. Oh, yes, and the "old school" one-room schoolhouse desk might be "retro" for those who haven't lived long enough, but for someone like me trying to finish a detailed report it's just, well, laughable.

I booked in here because my usual hotel was not available, and for a business person, this is NOT where you want to be. I'm used to staying in Manhattan at reasonably priced places with a lot more amenities than this. BTW, this was no deal being more than $800 for 5 nights.

How about some truth in advertising? Wanna be cool, clueless and show that you've not been around that long? This place is for you. Want to be serious about working in NY? Absolutely look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
3  Thank Mark M
39HotelMgr, General Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Greetings Mark,
Firstly thanks for giving us a try. We understand that our hotel is not meant for everyone. If you scan our reviews, we've had business guests rave about us and some who feel the same as you. All of our rooms do have bath mats so I apologize if we neglected to provide one for your stay. Thanks for your feedback and please let us know if there is any other way we could enhance our guest experience.
Cheers,
Scott

Reviewed 10 March 2013

If you need a clean bed and bathroom and don't mind saying "Hi" to some friendly people on the way in and out of the hotel, this place is perfect at a nice price. Rooms are small but very well maintained. The on-site restaurant/bar is a busy place. The Pod 39 seems especailly popular with young professionals and foreign visitors. The hotel staff knows about the area, which includes some good restaurants and nice bars. Excellent parking rate in cooperation with a garage a short block or two away. Small-dog friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple