“It is what it is”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #191 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 March 2013

It's kind of amazing that this is a great value in Manhattan. For the price of an airline ticket, you get a teensy monastic cell in the city and you are happy with it. Sort of. It's basically the size of a ship's cabin. I mean you can hardly turn around enough to get your bag in the door. The semi-frosted, sliding bathroom "door" panel gives you a wisp of privacy. For a single traveler on a budget, the double pod is relatively usable. Noise from the corridor is worse than in most hotels. They should post a sign near the elevator to remind extremely inconsiderate people not to chat loudly at 3AM. Use your white noise smartphone app and you might make it through the night. Great location for Grand Central, restaurants, subway, broadway shows.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ManhattanAdwoman
Write a ReviewReviews (3,558)

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Clean, friendly and relatively affordable. The double room is WAYYY too small for two people, and the steel door gives the room the aura of a prison cell. Also, the prices in the bar are high. If you stay, a good cheap lasagna place is just around the corner.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I booked at Pod39 because i couldn't find anything else below $400 for a 2 night business trip. The concept seemed to appeal to a very young leisure travel crowd looking for a great deal in NYC.
The rooms are the smallest I have even seen - basically a bed a not much else. Bathroom with shower is tiny - constantly hit my elbows on the wall while in the shower. Bed was comfortable but again seemed very small (and I am only 5'6"). Small closet without a door, tiny desk with chair completed the room.
The hotel in general was very loud. Lobby and restaurant/ bar had large crowds and strange acoustics. Noise from hallways and other rooms carried easily into my room. 3 elevators didn't seem sufficient. Waited for a long time on multiple occasions.
Service was good: Quick check-in/ check-out, request for iron and iron board was fulfilled in minutes and concierge provided name of local gym where hotel key gave me a free day pass (no fitness center at the Pod).
Overall, I would not stay again for business but might consider for personal travel if other options are too pricy.

Room Tip: Get a queen room away from elevators to get max space and minimum noise.
1  Thank SC_Dawg1996
Reviewed 14 March 2013

A very well executed budget hotel. The rooms are small but if you are in the city to party how much time do you spend in your room anyway... The staff was very nice and helpful. The location was perfect. Only about a hundred yards from the Hampton Jitney bus stop

1  Thank duff1987
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed 3 to a room and as most know the rooms are small, but you really couldn't tell because it has a great layout. The staff was extremely helpful and nice. We also enjoyed the grill/bar downstairs, they had great guacamole! The price for the room was great and I liked the location. I really like the modern decor and the room was very clean.

1  Thank Jenny P
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I just returned from a trip to NYC and stayed at the POD on 39th. I am a teacher and I was taking an exchange student for a first time visit to New York. In the past I have spent lots of money on expensive hotels in NY. But this time there would be a lot of sightseeing and so I was looking for a hotel situation that wasn't expensive but was still SAFE. I wanted to spend money on the theater, nice meals, and all the sights. I was looking for something just a few blocks off Times Square/midtown and while searching the internet I found the POD. There is the one on 39th & Lexington. Another in the 50's. It felt very European somehow, and I was feeling adventurous, and so I choose the one on 39th. I booked the trip online. They had a great website that showed you all the various rooms, and I read some of the reviews. The reviews were very good and so I figured it would be fine. We chose the room with the bunk beds and the private bath. They never charged anything to my credit card until I checked out. I was pleasantly surprised by that. I did call them the day before our arrival to confirm. I don't think that was absolutely necessary but it made me feel better about our arrival and they were very nice on the phone, reassuring me that I would have a room waiting.

Our plane was delayed coming into NY and so I phoned them to let them know we might be late. Again, they were very nice, very professional. Upon arrival they were especially helpful. Got our bags out of the taxi for us, and check in was just minutes, probably 5 minutes. It is a modern looking lobby, very minimalist I would say. A cute little bar/restaurant right in the lobby called "Salvation Taco." I never ate there but it would get packed out at night. They showed us to our room and it was just as I had expected. I will warn you they are small. It is a "POD." Smaller than a dorm room. My exchange student was quite surprised, I wasn't though. As I said, we had the bunk bed room, my exchange student who is 17 wanted the top bunk (thank goodness!) Each bunk is a little larger than a twin, each bed had it's own tv. Yes two TV's in the room. There was a safe. And a thermostat to control heat and air for that room. Deadbolt lock on the door and an additional door latch lock. I felt very safe and it was very clean. I did inquire about a room not so close to the elevator, and they were happy to oblige. But I ended up staying with the original room by choice. There was a maid service every day. The bathroom is a shower, sink, and toilet. They provide, soap, bodywash, shampoo & conditioner. Only surprise was that the door to the bathroom is a sliding frosted glass door. You still can see through it. The shower has a curtain. My student and I decided that we would have a code, when the glass door was shut, the other person hangs out on their bed, away from the door. That worked perfectly. If I was doing a quick toilet room stop, I figured out I could pull the shower curtain over the toliet for some privacy. Worked great.

We stayed at the POD for 5 days and had a great time. We were so very cozy in that little room. We were happy to go back there every evening. The exchange student got more and more comfortable and ended up really loving the little room. I slept SO well. I never heard the elevator and we were right next door to it. It was a quiet hotel. I was very surprised. The Hotel turned out to be exactly what I was looking for in terms of a great place to rest at night and very inexpensive but still safe and clean.

The staff was awesome. There is also a concierge in the lobby who will help with anything you need. They will call taxi's or town cars, whatever you want. They will also schedule sightseeing excursions but I never used them for that. I hear there was a rooftop area but we never made it up there. I was happy with the other visitors too. They seemed professional and quiet. No sketchy characters at all. Many of them looked like young professionals. Everyone very polite to each other.

The location turned out to be exactly what I was after. The hotel is located at Lexington and 39th. Everyday we walked several blocks to 42nd or Times Square. Of course there are taxi's and the subway everywhere so we never had a problem with transportation at all. There is a store on the corner, right by the hotel so you could always get a quick snack or drink if you wanted it.

All in all a very pleasant experience. I would absolutely do it again. There's just no reason to spend a lot of money on a room that you won't be in . Occasionally we did go back and rest a bit in the afternoon but really spent very little time there. But when we did it was a cozy as it could be. Checkout was simple, another 5 minutes and they also called a car to take us to the airport. Great experience for us. I hope it will be for you too! Good luck!

Room Tip: I would make sure the room has a private bathroom situation.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tfrankel
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My trip was a half block away for Meet the Media, Id been looking and comparing hotels for days. I like different, and I travel solo, so this seemed to be the best bang for my frugal buck.

There simply are NO rooms like this for that kind of money in NYC! Clean rooms, albeit very compact, but fantastic location and 2 blocks from Grand Central Station, but I chose to walk to Times Square, Central Park etc.

They have built-in computers in the lobby, they offer a super useful map of the whole burrough (that you can take with you). The staff delighted me with their friendliness, talking to me (not at me), in English without pressing 1.

The view from the rooftop is fantastic. The restaurant's food is outstanding. Not happy to pay $10 for a vodka/cranberry so for the more frugal, walk a few steps up and buy snacks and a 6-pack from the convenience store. If you want to people-watch and socialize after your business for the day, hang in the Salvation Taco (the bar/restaurant). Their staff is friendly and fun.

I am a single traveler and the rooms are great for that scenario. If you are a couple, you'd better make sure you dont mind the half-frosted door to the louvre and there is no audio privacy so stay away from spicy foods.

There are no ice buckets, no microwaves, no coffee, but the restaurant is ready for you, or the convenience store bakes breakfast and as does of the dozens of delis very near by. I bought ice and used the stainless steel trashcan as my cooler after my meeting. :) Great smelling shampoo/cond bodywash.

Hi speed internet was great. No radio (sad face) but I livestreamed some radio on my laptop, the panel media center is nice for you to plug everything you have in to.

Coming back to NYC in May and Im ready to book with them again hopefully bringing some staff to enjoy it too. Excellent pricing, great view, it's a great price for New York City!!

3  Thank Suzanne_Perry_SuzyP