“Great value by NYC standards”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #188 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Long Island NY
“Great value by NYC standards”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I travel a lot -- enough to know that different standards have to be applied to hotels in different cities. In some cities, ie NYC & London, one is obviously paying for the location, so rooms that would not even be considered viable in other cities would be considered a great bargain there. That's the standard I apply to Pod 39.

Years of hotel-staying in NYC has taught me that most rooms -- however nice -- are closet-sized unless you pay a premium. Sometimes those small rooms are shabby too, making a disappointing stay even moreso. But Pod 39 has decided to make lemonade out of the lemons of small spaces. For less than $200, I was able to stay in a convenient location in a room that was small, yes, but neat, clean and not cramped. It reminds me of a cruise-ship cabin -- efficient use of limited space. I had a double-size bed and a wall-mounted flat screen TV. There was no closet or draw space, but for stays of a few nights this is totally unnecessary anyway (there is hanging space as well as a rack for luggage if needed). There was a small desk and free WiFi for any business needs one might have. The bathroom was efficiently laid out (though no counter space on which to put toiletries) with a standing shower only (when is the last time you took a bath in a hotel anyway?). Efficient packets (not resealable bottles) of shampoo, conditioner and lotion are provided. There are closed black shutters on the windows, which when lifted, revealed an airshaft with windows to another building across the alley, so they were best left closed since no light could penetrate that space but your privacy could be compromised (a personal disappointment to me, but this is one of the trade-offs for a reasonable rate).

Overall, this hotel is nothing fancy, but definitely a bargain and not depressing to come back to (though i wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in such a small space if most of it wasn't spent sleeping).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
abrit74
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I absolutely LOVE this hotel. Every aspect of our stay exceeded my expectations. I was traveling with my teenage son from Seattle to visit colleges in New York. We had several cities to visit so we were looking for good value and figured we would have to do without in order to find something we could afford. The reviews I read were good and the location sounded great so we thought we would give it a try. I was so pleased and surprised at how great the Pods turned out to be. We had a bunkbed room. The room was the exact size we expected...small. But it was a very efficient, smart layout so the size was never a problem. The designers of these rooms seriously put thoughtful planning into everything and it showed. Little shelves on the wall next to the beds had power outlets and held the remote control, phone and other things you might want within reach. There was a stand to hold suitcases, hang clothes, a small desk with a chair, trash can. The bathroom was also laid out well and my 6'3 son absolutely loved the showerheads that came from the ceiling. Finally a shower he didn't have to duck to get under. Everything was extremely clean and the beds were VERY comfortable. Perfect beds for recovering after long days of walking and exploring the city. Each bunkbed had its own TV and remote at the foot of the bed. My son and I both appreciated being able to enjoy our own shows as we fell asleep. This hotel was extremely quiet. The doors were very thick and blocked out all hallway noise you typically hear in a hotel. Our room was right next to the elevator and I was very worried about how loud that would be. I almost requested a new room but quickly realized I couldn't hear it at all. Literally the only noise I heard the entire time I was there was water from the sink in the room next door while I was standing at my sink...one time. I was so impressed with this. The customer service was amazing. The offered to hold our bags hours before our check-in and again after we checked out so we could maximize our visiting of the city. They were so accomodating. The Ipads in the lobby were connected to a wireless printer so we could print out itineraries, tickets, look up maps etc. Super convenient. The concierge desk was there to help arrange airport transportation if you hadn't done so already. We took The Newark Liberty Express Bus directly from Grand Central Station to Newark Airport and it couldn't have been easier (printed tickets in hotel lobby)...two block walk, boarded the bus and quick ride to the airport. The free wifi in the hotel was fast, never had any issues with connectivity speed. The location was perfect for us. Two blocks from Grand Central Station where we could literally get anywhere we needed to in the City. We walked to Time Square, Central Park and several popular tourist areas from the hotel so those areas are within a walkable distance, but not super close. There are restaurants on the same block and a convenient store right on the corner (pretty spendy so expect to pay for that convenience). We saw people of all ages staying in the hotel. The rooftop bar area was awesome. We were there in February so the bar was not open but the views were still great. There is a nice seating lounge area upstairs and nice bar in the lobby as well. The bathrooms had frosted glass sliding doors so there wasn't great privacy if you were standing right next to the bathroom, might not be best set-up if you weren't staying with family. The only negative I saw were the slow elevators. There were only two elevators and people were always waiting, and complaining. We were lucky that we were on the 2nd floor so once our suitcases were in the room, we took the stairs for the rest of the time so it didn't impact us. Overall a great experience at a super price and I will only stay at the Pod Hotels when visiting New York in the future. We were given POD HOTEL ballcaps when we left and I wear them often and tell anyone who will listen what a great experience we had.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank abrit74
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I had just moved to New York and due to unforeseen circumstances the apartment that I was supposed to move into was unavailable. I was left with no place to stay and very overwhelmed. I had heard about The Pod hotel and decided to give it a shot. Am I glad I did!! I ended up staying at the hotel for a little over a week.
When I arrived I was greeted at the door by Charlton, one of the bellman, and was immediately helped with my bags. Throughout my stay he was very helpful. Always offering to take my shopping bags and happily answering all of many questions that I had about the city. I was impressed by his knowledge and attentiveness.
When I went to the front desk upon my arrival I was greeted by one of the manager's Tim who throughout my stay, went above and beyond his job to make sure that my stay was economical and enjoyable. Also always greeting me by name with a smile and asking if there was anything he could do to make my stay more enjoyable.
Every time I arrived and left I was always greeted by warm smiling faces and friendliness.
Would definitely stay here again and highly recommend.

Room Tip: I stayed in a "Queen" room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
west midlands
Reviewed 16 April 2013

room small but adequate,love the bathroom,room cleaned every day wifi available and television attached to each bed, nice touch, check out the rooftop terrace and bar amazing sites of new york,the bar is always busy, great atmosphere and staff very friendly and helpful, easy access to grand central and short walking distance to 5th avenue,times square etc, would stay again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I was very impressed with the Pod hotel when I stayed here. They are in a great location (about a 3 minute walk from Grand Central) and the hotel staff are amazing!

I have never stayed at a hotel where the staff were so friendly and willing to help out. This place definitely has a feel of a youth hostel for adults. The atmosphere is great and relaxing and I can't wait to stay here again.

Yes, the rooms are a bit small. But why are you sitting in your room in New York?!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 14 April 2013

When you think of a Pod you think small. The rooms are small. My queen sized room was 10 x 10, not including a small bathroom/shower area. However, it was clean, sleek, and included FREE wifi, something very rare in NYC hotels. The staff was friendly and helpful. This Pod was a five minute walk (just a few blocks) from Grand Central Station. While the room was small--but if you are just sleeping in it who cares--the ground floor had a very large common area that reminded me of my youth hostel days. There are long couches, chairs, tables, a bar, and ping pong tables. It is a nice place to hangout and even meet people. There is also a more complete bar off the lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank W-Hartford_CT
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I have stayed here three times over the past year, and I would stay here again. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable, with everything I need - a bed and a shower. The location is fantastic, a 5 min walk to Grand Central, 15 min walk to Times Square. For the price I don't think this hotel could be beaten. Check out the rooftop bar when you stay, truly fantastic views.

• Stayed April 2013