“Small rooms but very comfortable!”
Review of Pod 39 Hotel

Pod 39 Hotel
Ranked #190 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Small rooms but very comfortable!”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed at POD 51 previously for 15 nights in 2011 and was happy to return to New York in 2014 and try out POD 39 for a 5 night stay. The room is very small but features everything you need. I was even lucky enough to be given a free ticket to an Ice Hockey game at Madison Square Garden by Romaine at concierge!
Great location & very helpful staff.
When I return to New York, I would happily stay at this property again and will recommend it to others!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Liv_191

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Berkley, Michigan
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here for one night. We got the bunk bed room with a private bathroom. The room was very small but we knew it would be. It was clean and we liked the design. The location was great, walking distance to many nearby attractions, the staff was helpful and pleasnt. We drove and the hotel has an arrangement with a nearby lot for parking $25 each day which was a great price. We basically needed the room to shower and sleep and we were able to do so comfortably and in a clean nicely designed room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Danielle P
exeter
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel in February for 4 nights. Had one queen and a bunk bedded room for 2 twenty year old daughters. Had everything you needed to sleep and change. If you do not plan to spend time in your room this is perfect and suited us perfectly. In Queen room no room for luggage and in both rooms no drawers to put clothes in but there is hanging space. Location is very central but also relatively quiet. Can walk to a lot of tourist destinations. There is more spare floor space in the bunk bedded room so would throughly recommend for young adults. Lovely roof terrace with good views and would be nice in summer to sit (we had snow whilst we were there but still went up there to take photo's). You can get breakfast in the onsite restaurant which is quite adequate. Excellent value for money although we did get a good deal! Would stay again.

Room Tip: There is more spare room space in a bunk as opposed to a queen room. In a queen room the bed takes...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I spent one night at the POD 39 since I could not get an extension in my previous hotel.

The location is pretty good, in the heart of Manhattan and walking distance from Times Square. Check in was pretty smooth and quick.
The rooms are literally PODS! They are fine for 1 person but would get cramped for 2. 3 people is out of the question.
The facilities are pretty functional and the bar on the roof is pretty cool.
Dont expect any luxuries and you will not be disappointed.
the staff is pretty helpful and friendly.

All in all, recommended for the budget traveller.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank zoomba
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have being at hotel POD 39 as guest between january 31 and february 2nd, 2014.

I enjoyed staying at POD 39 hotel but I am very disappointed that such a thing I will describe below, has happened.

By the time I have checked in I have paid US$ 100,00 cash for refundable incidental tax.

By the time I was checking out I’ve noticed that I had been double charged for the incidental tax. Another US$ 100,00 were charged at my debit pre paid card. So, I have paid total US$ 200,00 for incidental tax.

By the time I left the hotel, I got a refund of US100,00 cash but the other US$ 100,00 charged from my prepaid card has not been refunded yet, although I have signed a document that informs that it would be refunded. That's what describes the document (bill) I have got in my hands right now.

I have sent an email at 7th march, regarding what has happened, and have never received a reply yet.

I haven't had a refund yet. Maybe I would never have my US$ 100,00 back.

If you take a look at other reviews of this hotel in trip advisor you will notice that such a thing has happened to other guests already.

There are many nice hotels in NYC. I will never come back POD 39. I hope you do the same.

Room Tip: Os quartos são pequenos. Fique longe dos elevadores. Eles são barulhentos e os quartos perto deles a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Jonasgolfeto
Tim L, Manager at Pod 39 Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Jonasgolfeto,

I can easily imagine how frustrating this experience may have been for you. I do apologize that no one has responded or contacted you back regarding this issue. I have provided you with my personal email address to resolve this matter personally.

Regarding the double charged incidentals that occurred, I have researched your reservation. It appears that there was no accounting error. I believe that you may require some explanation on how your charges were settled at check-out. I would be happy to email you another copy of your receipt and review the charges with you so that I can clarify any misunderstanding.

At the Pod 39, we do require incidentals upon arrival, $20 per day if using a credit card or up to $100 if cash. Our deposit incidental allows everyone the chance and ability to charge something to their room during their stay at the Pod 39, which includes breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a simple cocktail at, Salvation Taco.

You may me contact me directly at tim.l@thepodhotel39.com so that I can further assist you on this matter.

Timothy Lau
Front Office Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I was prepared for a small room and small it was. I had reserved/paid for a single pod but given the bunk bed room at check-in. I admired the design of the room; very well-planned, smart. I did appreciate the extra space afforded by having a bunk bed, even if it made me feel like I was back at sleep away camp - Camp NYC.

The small quarters didn't bother me, although while trying to check out my outfit in the sliver of a full-length mirror in between the door and the wall, I hit the wall with my elbow. At least the wifi was fast and free. It was slightly Twilight-Zone like to have the wall clock with the date prominently display that it was January 3, 2014. The time was accurate. You could imagine a nefarious plot to disorient travelers locked in their pods. Water in shower - good pressure, good temperature control. However, there is cold water in the sink faucet which makes washing your face a less than pleasant experience.

It was fairly quiet, although my neighbor came home at 1 am and proceeded to watch TV - I could hear this and was mightily annoyed. The mattress was not comfortable - it creaked its coils every time I turned in bed and felt like Soviet-bloc grade. Maybe it was because it was the bunk bed? I'm not sure I understand the other reviews stating that the beds were comfortable. Compared to sleeping on the floor, maybe?

Still, the location was excellent, close to Grand Central. There's nearby gyms. (no gym in hotel!) For the price, it's decent and meets expectations.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Katherine0608
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Two-night stay for business. Room (queen) compact but completely sufficient, and certainly a great value for NYC. Nice touches that maximize space - such as drawer and storage space in base for bed. Frosted glass separates bathroom from bedroom so if you're sharing, better be with close friends. Location is convenient for Grand Central or the United Nations. It was very cold outside and the windows in my room had a draft but heating stayed ahead of it once I cranked it up. I had limited interaction with the staff, but was kept waiting for someone to show up to check me in. First floor bar/restaurant was noisy but only when you were in the lobby. Location is non-smoking.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business